Mesa Precision Altitude stock on Savage 110 Ultralight rifle

flagman

FNG
Checking to see if anyone has put the Mesa Precision Altitude stock on a Savage 110 Ultralight rifle. How was the fit considering The dmb with the 110 and any other comments regarding this replacement stock. flagman

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't tried it with this particular rifle yet, but generally I've found Manners to be excellent with their fit. Better than other carbon stock makers (*cough* Stocky's *cough*), and I don't think you'd run into any issues. They even have a 110 UL in the images on the stock's page, so as long as you don't have a long action you should be set.

TheHammer

WKR
In other threads they talk about problems with the mesa stocks and the angles causing muzzle jump… I’m wondering if the adjustable comb version eliminates this issue?

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Not a Mesa but I did do a Manners Elite MCS-T stock for my 110 Ultralight in 6.5PRC. With Manners and savage action you are limited to short action only and you have to use their chassis system because of the Savage action depth I believe. I sent my action and barrel in and they fit everything and sent it back. Basically get a custom fit chassis in your stock for no extra charge. I think it was right around $1000 ish. and it shoots light out but it shot lights out from the factory so there's that. It looks awesome and hunts like a champ.20210926_104031.jpg

Loper

WKR
Not a Mesa but I did do a Manners Elite MCS-T stock for my 110 Ultralight in 6.5PRC. With Manners and savage action you are limited to short action only and you have to use their chassis system because of the Savage action depth I believe. I sent my action and barrel in and they fit everything and sent it back. Basically get a custom fit chassis in your stock for no extra charge. I think it was right around $1000 ish. and it shoots light out but it shot lights out from the factory so there's that. It looks awesome and hunts like a champ.View attachment 496236

That looks great. Is there any weight reduction with this stock over the factory stock?

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great. Is there any weight reduction with this stock over the factory stock?
It's been a little bit so I don't remember exactly but it was about the same if I remember correctly or just a couple ounces lighter. I want to say the savage stock was 32ish and the manmers was 30ish

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
It's 8.lbs exactly as it sits with a VX6hd 3-18x50, Leupold backcountry rings, Bergara muzzle break, 4 inch front rail and no magazine

DaleW

WKR
It's 8.lbs exactly as it sits with a VX6hd 3-18x50, Leupold backcountry rings, Bergara muzzle break, 4 inch front rail and no magazine
That's a really sweet setup man. I'm considering doing the same. With thier chassis system I assume you have to use aics mags? I wonder of the hawkins flush fit mags would work as well.

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
That's a really sweet setup man. I'm considering doing the same. With thier chassis system I assume you have to use aics mags? I wonder of the hawkins flush fit mags would work as well.
No the with their chassis system you use your factory bottom metal or you can buy the aftermarket bottom metal that uses aics mags. You can use this bottom metal if you want to use aics mags. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004703719
Or I can sell you one I didn't use for a good deal. 😁

They use their chassis for the action because they don't have enough material to make that area strong enough without it when using savage actions.

DaleW

WKR
No the with their chassis system you use your factory bottom metal or you can buy the aftermarket bottom metal that uses aics mags. You can use this bottom metal if you want to use aics mags. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004703719
Or I can sell you one I didn't use for a good deal. 😁

They use their chassis for the action because they don't have enough material to make that area strong enough without it when using savage actions.
Oh okay thanks for the info. I don't mind the stock magazine, I just wish there was a way around that dang plastic bottom metal. It's not a problem really it just bugs me.

magnum

FNG
I received my Mesa Altitude this week. My 7mm-08 Lightweight Storm fit nicely in the stock on the first try without any fuss. I'm still waiting on my carbon wrapped barrel to arrive to complete the project so I can't comment on the barrel channel with certainty yet and I'm a long ways off from putting it through its paces. At this stage I am very pleased with the quality of the stock and the ordering experience from Mesa Precision. Six weeks from the time of the order til it was shipped. It should go without saying but the Mesa Precision is substantially more rigid than the Savage stock.

TheHammer

WKR
I received my Mesa Altitude this week. My 7mm-08 Lightweight Storm fit nicely in the stock on the first try without any fuss. I'm still waiting on my carbon wrapped barrel to arrive to complete the project so I can't comment on the barrel channel with certainty yet and I'm a long ways off from putting it through its paces. At this stage I am very pleased with the quality of the stock and the ordering experience from Mesa Precision. Six weeks from the time of the order til it was shipped. It should go without saying but the Mesa Precision is substantially more rigid than the Savage stock.
That is the exact rifle I want to get one for. But I’m leery on weight and ergonomics.

magnum

FNG
Weight - the Mesa and the OEM stocks felt similar in weight. I don’t have a scale so I can’t say for sure but I would guess them to be within a couple ounces.
Urkelnomics - take this with a grain of salt because this is my first aftermarket stock, my first vertical grip, and honestly I don’t shoot enough to pick out ergonomic shortfalls, but so far the ergonomics are exactly what I was hoping for. After shooting prone for so long with a sporter style grip, I’m very excited about how this grip feels.
The look, feel, and rigidity of a carbon fiber stock are orders of magnitude better than the Savage OEM.

TheHammer

WKR
Great I have a new one in the box for a storm… what does pure precision have to say about this??? And I believe that they list that as injection molded glass material

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved

Bit of an old topic revival but I was wondering how this project turned out. This is exactly the combination of rifle and stock I had in mind for a lightweight packable rifle and I'm very curious about how it's treated you.

TheHammer

WKR
Bit of an old topic revival but I was wondering how this project turned out. This is exactly the combination of rifle and stock I had in mind for a lightweight packable rifle and I'm very curious about how it's treated you.
It’s kinda a poor fit. The pillars were rough and jagged. The rear safety tang does not sit flush, sets .085” above the surface. The bottom metal/plastic has a lot of space around it, I filled that in to prevent the box from cracking. The pillars were too short and my trigger guard cracked before the screw could torque down. Even after bedding it. So I got a stainless trigger guard and filed the end of the screws 15thou. Overall it has a nice and comfortable feel. It actually fits me. Haven’t shot it yet. Pros and cons.

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 55