Merino Wool?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does the merino compare to products like polartec fleece? Does merino retain warmth when wet as well as the synthetics?

Yes. Merino will insulate when wet but it can reach a saturation point that overwhelms the wool fiber. As a base layer, wool is usually thinner than fleece and takes up less space.

I haven’t used fleece in a long time so most of my fleece knowledge is probably outdated. Fleece is great.
I think fleece would dry out faster than merino if it has been saturated and worn as an outer layer.
As a base layer, I think merino does a better job of wicking normal sweat/moisture through your system and away from your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does the merino compare to products like polartec fleece? Does merino retain warmth when wet as well as the synthetics?

In cold temps, I consider merino to be a base layer and fleece is a mid layer

Yes. Merino will insulate when wet but it can reach a saturation point that overwhelms the wool fiber. As a base layer, wool is usually thinner than fleece and takes up less space.

I haven’t used fleece in a long time so most of my fleece knowledge is probably outdated. Fleece is great.
I think fleece would dry out faster than merino if it has been saturated and worn as an outer layer.
As a base layer, I think merino does a better job of wicking normal sweat/moisture through your system and away from your body.

Good info! Thank you! I think I’ll go merino for my base layers after researching.

We are offering 15% off all merino wool.
If you haven't tried Merino Wool yet, now is your chance.
https://www.skregear.com/product-category/merino-wool/
I've been using Skre for 2 years now and love the stuff! The merino base layers are very good IMHO and having hunted and winter camped wearing them, I'll say this: Comfortable, light weight, very warm and holds up to washing well. I use the cold water setting on the machine and a scent free hunter's detergent then hang dry and they come out perfect every time.
I've hunted down to 28F here in the northeast wearing the 300s-top/bottom plus the kodiak pants, hardscrabble vest, jacket and Ptarmigan down jacket and was warm the entire day.
Recently went winter camping with temps hitting 27F at night and the 300s were actually a bit warm for me in my sleeping bag. I have a -15F down bag and had to switch to the 150s top/bottom with merino socks and beanie and was comfy all night.
Skre makes great clothing for the price!!! I'll put it up against other high end hunting clothing companies anytime.
The customer service at Skre is top notch too!

Going off of internet data, it suggest based off of historical data that the average high is mid 60's and average low is mid 30's. Being toward the end of October I would have to guess it may be a little lower than that and would be even lower with the higher elevation. The area I will be hunting won't have a ton of hiking, won't be any more than a couple miles from the nearest road. There may be long hours of glassing involved so the layering will have to be dynamic as the situation dictates.
SH... I only use Skre now. Starting my third season with it. It's warm, comfortable and free moving when you move - non restricting. The merino base layers are very warm so if you're moving more than sitting, you're going to have to adjust your layering.
Here in the northeast, it gets cold and windy but we stand hunt mostly so we sit up in the trees or a blind. I need warmth, wind blocking capability, unrestricted movement when shooting my bow or muzzleloader etc. Skre provides all of the above for a fair price compared to other high end companies.
I wore the Kaibab 150s and 300s combined under the Kodiak pants, Hardscrabble vest, Ptarmigan down jacket and the Hardscrabble jacket over it when I was in the tree at 28F for 6 hours. Walking in, I had to unzip, open up and cool down! I was that warm with the whole shabang on! Once in the tree for a bit, I closed up and stayed warm. I strongly suggest you put layers in your pack and add/remove as needed because I definitely had to undress a bit and cool down- I go too warm walking in and climbing. Now, I wear the 150s only if I'm walking or moving a lot because those 300s are quite warm!
I've used them winter camping too here in December and again next weekend for another trip and will honestly say...great clothing during the cold weather. You can't go wrong with Skre Gear and layer them up.
My son and I turkey hunt a lot and we wear Skre as well during late April and all through May. Chilly mornings, warm day and the stuff works for either. Obviously, lighter layers for turkey and if we're doing a fair amount of running and gunning, the 150 merino wicks nicely under the Uinta pants, and we wear the 300 weight Kaibab hoodie with the HS vest and we're good. Solace and Summit both work well as we've shot gobblers wearing either.
Good luck!!