Meopta customer service - How is it?

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
That has not been a working e-mail for him for over 6 months now. I do not want to pass his new one along without his permission.

Gerp

FNG
That is interesting, I have never heard of that issue before. Are you considering FOV when estimating magnification? In an Outdoor Life article, they said “It turns out to be tricky to measure apparent magnification of an optic, for reasons too mathematical and abstract to mention here.” Here is an article to look at, https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/06/30/how-to-measure-the-apparent-magnification-of-a-scope/ While I do not work for Meopta, I can't imagine any optics company giving erroneous numbers concerning magnification. I reached out to a guy I know, I'll let you know what they say. Yes, part of Meopta was sold, but operations have not changed.
I have taken FOV into account and, admittedly, that may come into play at the top end of the magnification (although comparing against 3 different scopes and garnering the same result I doubt it) but at the bottom end the image is very clearly reduced compared to the naked eye. That one is easy to tell because with at a true 1x setting you should be able to focus on the target with both eyes as if you're not looking through the optic at all and with my Meopta I can not do that as the image through the scope is roughly 3/4 the size of the actual target.

Upon reading the article I feel like it is a lot trickier to tell at higher magnifications. At 4-6x field of view is very large in all of the optics. Again, I will say that it appears that the meopta has less magnification when set on 6x than the VX5 at 5x and the PST gen 2 3-15 at 5x and the PST gen 2 1-6 at 6x. My testing is by no means scientific. I had thought about setting up a chart with either hand measured mil or MOA spaced dots (mil would be a lot easier to measure but my scope is moa maybe that won't matter). Then compare it to what the manufacture says the reticle sub tensions are supposed to be calibrated to. However, I would like to hear from Meopta first before I go through that kind of effort. If anyone has an Optika 6 1-6 SFP scope and wouldn't mind doing the simple test I did at 1x and share your findings that would be great.

Fatcamp

WKR
That is interesting, I have never heard of that issue before. Are you considering FOV when estimating magnification? In an Outdoor Life article, they said “It turns out to be tricky to measure apparent magnification of an optic, for reasons too mathematical and abstract to mention here.” Here is an article to look at, https://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/06/30/how-to-measure-the-apparent-magnification-of-a-scope/ While I do not work for Meopta, I can't imagine any optics company giving erroneous numbers concerning magnification. I reached out to a guy I know, I'll let you know what they say. Yes, part of Meopta was sold, but operations have not changed.

We are only allowed to use fixed 1X scopes for muzzleloader deer hunting. I've had a few and almost all of them are 0.85-0.9 versus a true 1.0. The one I have mounted now might be 1.1, but it doesn't hold zero.

I evaluate this by looking at a target with both eyes open. I shoot handguns like this and am pretty good at assessing those images, right versus left.

No idea about Meoptas variable scopes, as we can't use variable. But manufacturers for sure misstate 1x magnification.

4th_point

WKR
Well that kind of sucks as customer service reviews on top of general reviews of their optics is why I branched away from Vortex for this one.

Meopta was sold to The Carlyle Group.

4th_point

WKR
I would contact Doug to see if he has a channel to Meopta.

Maybe he can shed light onto the situation with Meopta.

I bought an 80mm spotter off eBay. It was in pretty good shape, maybe even 'like new.' After a few months a fiber appears in the field of view. Called Meopta, they told me to send it in. They took a look and sent me a brand new one very quickly. Very pleased.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have contacted Erik, and he is contacting Meopta CR for an answer. I'll let you know what I hear.

Reactions: BLJ

JGRaider

WKR
I asked a very knowledgeable friend your question, and this is some information he passed along. I really should have gone to him in the first place. I hope this helps?

That's not why people are so obsessed with the drop tests. Yes, any decent warranty will result in a fixed scope.

But that doesn't do you any good when you're in the middle of a hunt and slip on a snowy hillside and fall on your gun. That's why the drop tests are so important.
I'd be curious to hear what the "Dark Lord of Optics" has to say about these drop tests.

Gerp

FNG
I asked a very knowledgeable friend your question, and this is some information he passed along. I really should have gone to him in the first place. I hope this helps?

I guess it's worth playing around with the eye piece fine tuning adjustments before I get more frustrated with a lack of response from customer service. Thanks for the suggestion, I would've never thought that would make that big of a difference. The image is clear and I figured that was more for just fine tuning focus.

Gerp

FNG
I guess it's worth playing around with the eye piece fine tuning adjustments before I get more frustrated with a lack of response from customer service. Thanks for the suggestion, I would've never thought that would make that big of a difference. The image is clear and I figured that was more for just fine tuning focus.
Well, I guess I learned something new. I just tried adjusted the ocular lense focus and that brought the 1x zoom up to a true 1x. Thanks for the advice.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
You are most welcome. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I learned something as well! Glad it all worked out for you.