Meniscus Surgery Before Hunting

Less

FNG
After reading what all of you went through I consider myself lucky. I tore a meniscus, heard it snap into when it happened. Could only manage baby steps to make it back to the house. They took some kind of X-rays and confirmed it was tore loose from where it attaches to the bone. I was in my mid fifties when it happened. They recommend I wear a knee brace. Which I did for about six weeks. Said they wouldn’t do surgery at my age and because I wasn’t playing in any types of Sports. They said at the worse I might feel a constant click in my knee. 3 months later and every since then ( now close to 62 ). I have never had any issues and can’t tell any difference between now and before I tore it. Only wore the knee brace for a couple of weeks.

After reading every ones experience. I guess it can affect everyone differently ? Maybe ? I don’t know. I was really worried about it after I found out what was wrong and when the doctor said they wouldn’t try to repair it. But I never missed a days work over it.

Wish you the best of luck and hope everything turns out good for you. I am sure it will. Might take a little time and patience but I bet you will end up like I did and not even remember it happening until something like this post reminds you of it. Again good luck.

Less

FNG
Not to confuse you. I meant to say I was told to wear the knee brace for 6 weeks but I only wore it for 2 weeks before I didn’t need it anymore.

Aren't PRP injections an option? I hear a lot of NBA guys get them in their knees in the offseason.

Hell you oughta see if you can get some TRT and HGH and some other 3 letter acronyms.

Hope you get it fixed up and out on the mountain this year.

I am in same situation. Meniscus tears, both knees. Tore left one elk hunting last year, right one three months later. I have been getting cortisone shots which help. I also got the "rooster comb" gel shots in the left knee. It's a series of three, one each week for three weeks. My left knee feels good as new.
Starting today with the first shot in the right knee. I will finish the last shot three weeks before heading to Chama. Check with your Doctor to see if the gel shots might help. Can't remember the correct name for them. Hylauronic acid maybe ?? Originally made from the red combs of roosters, but I think it is synthetic now.

Last edited:

Agross

WKR
I had a meniscus tear, surgery to repair it, but then it re-tore about. I refused to get surgery and slowly got my knee back to normal again for about 2 years before I tweaked it again last summer to the point I was having severe knee pain and questioning if I should have another surgery. Then I found "knees over toes guy". I started with some of his most basic exercises about 3 weeks ago and noticed a significant improvement. I took my 3 year old up to the mountains last weekend, and carried him on my shoulder while wearing a pack and hiking about 4 miles a day up and down small hills without any major pain. My knee is not great, but I feel like I can actually hunt this year without surgery.
I’m gonna have to look into that. I tore mine a few years ago. Had surgery. Helped for a little while but not near as much as I hoped. Now it really bothers me bad again.

🤷‍♂️, I've hunted with a torn meniscus and torn one while packing out an elk, the pain sucks. I just know others that have gotten a shot to help hold them over.
Just pointing out how dangerous the cortisone shots are. I’ve had three meniscus tears, so I get it, but again cortisone is proven to kill cartilage so just tossing out a PSA. Personally knowing what I know now, if an ortho tried to shoot a joint up with cortisone, I’d walk out.

Aren't PRP injections an option? I hear a lot of NBA guys get them in their knees in the offseason.

Hell you oughta see if you can get some TRT and HGH and some other 3 letter acronyms.

Hope you get it fixed up and out on the mountain this year.
Yes what I do. From bone marrow, also have it mixed with AFS.

Regenerative is a better approach In my experience for inflammation

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have tore/surgery for meniscus tear in both knees. I delayed surgery in 2017 to elk hunt. Yes I had pain, but never went the cortisone route.

What I will say is you only get once chance to rehab after surgery. I am sure elk hunting is NOT part of any knee surgery rehab.

My knees are doing well and I still elk hunt. (Although my marathoning days are behind me)

OP
G
I just went to my ortho. He gave me another examination and he agreed that given my timeline and the fact that my initial cortisone injection was so effective for 10 months, that I was a candidate to get another injection for the short term. So, I just got another injection.

He will check in with me in 3 weeks and if all is good, we will reconvene in January (at the start of my new insurance plan year) to discuss the long term solution.

Appreciate everyone's insight and feedback. I'll post again after my hunt to let everyone know if there was any pain while hunting.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I just went to my ortho. He gave me another examination and he agreed that given my timeline and the fact that my initial cortisone injection was so effective for 10 months, that I was a candidate to get another injection for the short term. So, I just got another injection.

He will check in with me in 3 weeks and if all is good, we will reconvene in January (at the start of my new insurance plan year) to discuss the long term solution.

Appreciate everyone's insight and feedback. I'll post again after my hunt to let everyone know if there was any pain while hunting.
Sounds like a good game plan if you can pull it off.

My surgeon was booked 10-12 weeks out. Get your surgery scheduled and give yourself plenty of time to rehab and pack out a bull next fall! (Which is how I tore my meniscus 1st time!)

IN2HNTN

FNG
Good luck on your hunt. I had mind done this summer, 6 to 8 weeks and you should be back to 100%.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 30+ yr adventure with 13 knee surgeries and 2 acl replacements will come to an end soon..🤣looking forward to the replacement 🏆be careful with your wheels you only have one set🤙