Meniscus Surgery Before Hunting

I've got a torn medial meniscus in my right knee. Got cortisone injection 10 months ago to delay surgery, but intense pain has returned. It's really painful and I wake up multiple times throughout the night with knee pain. Decided to call my doctor today to schedule surgery (but I haven't heard back yet). I've got 6 weeks before I head to Colorado to hunt for 7 days.

I really should have gotten the surgery this summer when I had nothing going on, but the knee wasn't bothering me then. Should I delay surgery until after the hunt and just deal with the pain or should I get the surgery as quick as possible, try to rehab hard for a few weeks, and still hunt CO? TIA for anyone who has been in this situation.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
From someone who has had knee surgery several times due to college wrestling, you definitely should have gotten your surgery a while ago (if surgery was inevitable) at 10 months out. In my experience the longer I put off surgery just dealing with the pain the more difficult my recovery/PT time was for normal activity let alone hiking up and down mountains with a pack on. Some of my surgeries took a month to almost a year and a half to get back to normal. You may be at a loss here. Either tough it out with another cortisone shot or get the surgery if it can be done in the next two weeks with the understanding that the hunt might not happen. Regardless I would suggest getting a heavy duty knee brace for the hunt if you do choose to go. Best of luck to you, hope you heal up nicely!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't want an elk hunt less than 6 weeks after knee surgery.......even small meniscus stuff. But I also wouldn't want an elk hunt with all the pain from bad meniscus.......been there. But I'd get some pain meds and schedule surgery for after.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I had this surgery on a major tear.
Plus no cartilage left..
I was 8 weeks to fully able to go..

Gorp2007

WKR
Are you currently in physical therapy? I'd be inclined to dedicate the next 6 weeks to PT before I tried to rush surgery and then skip post-op PT just to jump into the mountains on a partially healed knee.

When you get surgery get the cold water recirculation system...speeds up healing and beats having to deal with ice packs...I was dragging deer a few weeks after having 75% of mine removed...put if off longer than I should have...tear got bigger and then the flap folded under itself...

• Banned
OP
G
Are you currently in physical therapy? I'd be inclined to dedicate the next 6 weeks to PT before I tried to rush surgery and then skip post-op PT just to jump into the mountains on a partially healed knee.
I'm not doing any PT right now. My wife recommended Pilates. I don't even know anything about Pilates, but I'd be willing to try. Until the last month, I rode the Peloton 4x per week. I do think stretching would help.

I'm kind of leaning towards another cortisone injection and scheduling surgery for November.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you're not already doing PT, I'd recommend seeing an actual physical therapist (not pilates) to see if that can correct the issue before you get surgery. Best case, the PT takes care of it and your knees are stronger before the elk hunt. Worst case, you still get the surgery but now your knees are healthier and rehab is faster. Either way I wouldn't go under the knife this close to the hunt.

Unckebob

WKR
1) Have you tried the gel injections like Synvisc? (There are a lot of different versions of this type of drug). https://www.synviscone.com/

Essentially, they take a big needle and jam it into the knee joint. Then, they inject the gel into the joint with the idea it will essentially serve as artificial meniscus. The injections are really expensive and some insurers don't cover the treatments. I have found them very beneficial. Unfortunately, they don't work for everyone.

2) Don't settle for an average surgeon at the local hospital. The really good ones can do a repair while the average ones just remove the torn bit.

I made that mistake once and had to go back for a second and 3rd surgery that may not have been needed if the first surgeon has done a better job. If you are in or near a big city, you can research who is the best in your area - often the team surgeon to the local sports team

The simple fact is you only have so much meniscus in your knee. The more they remove - the more likely you are to get bone on bone contact which will inevitably lead to a knee replacement. I am probably less than 5 years away from my replacement.

3) Weight matters a lot. Either with or without surgery, you should do your best to drop as much unnecessary weight as you can - both on your body and your pack.
- drop as much weight as you can
- if you have a lighter gun available that will work on Elk, use it.
- look at what you will be carrying and try to keep things as light as possible.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of variables there. Uncomplicated partial meniscectomy in someone with minimal arthritis would be pretty easy to get back to hiking and hunting in 4-6 weeks. While there has been more emphasis on meniscal repair recently the fact remains not all tears are repairable even with the most skilled surgeons out there (I have some experience being a fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon and have been on both sides of the table as a surgeon and a patient and have had both meniscal repair and partial meniscectomy). Meniscal vascularity, tear location, and age are the main factors. Gel injections help to aid in lubricating partially arthritic knees won’t likely help a meniscal tear. Yes, if a meniscus can be repaired it is better in the long run but is a much, much more difficult recovery (crutches, limited mobility, and restrictions for 3+ months). Even with a good repair it is still possible for the tear to not heal which happened to me. Long story but I had a repair, waited and rehab for several months, never really felt better, than had a second surgery for partial meniscectomy and still able to go on a backpack sheep hunt 4 weeks after the second surgery (was limited more by weakness than pain). Feel free to message me if you have specific questions happy to offer insight.

BFR

WKR
Wife has had both knees done, now she has very little cartilage and arthritis in both knees. I had a lateral tear in my right knee and was told surgery was my only option. After a lot of research and speaking to a Doctor at Regenex in Las Vegas I decided to have stem cell injections using my own cells. Ended up using platelets instead, couple months of therapy and I was back hiking the mountains. New MRI at about 6 months and tear was almost healed. That was 5 years ago, no arthritis has shown and knee is solid. Just wish the rest of this old body was the same.

I've got a torn medial meniscus in my right knee. Got cortisone injection 10 months ago to delay surgery, but intense pain has returned. It's really painful and I wake up multiple times throughout the night with knee pain. Decided to call my doctor today to schedule surgery (but I haven't heard back yet). I've got 6 weeks before I head to Colorado to hunt for 7 days.

I really should have gotten the surgery this summer when I had nothing going on, but the knee wasn't bothering me then. Should I delay surgery until after the hunt and just deal with the pain or should I get the surgery as quick as possible, try to rehab hard for a few weeks, and still hunt CO? TIA for anyone who has been in this situation.
Depends how bad it is. I had one that was pretty bad and I was up and walking , hiking within 2 weeks.

sndmn11

WKR
If he cuts it out and doesn't try to repair it, you should be fine. The only pain from a partial meniscectomy is from swelling putting pressure on nerves, there really isn't anything to heal beyond the three incisions.

OP
G
1) Have you tried the gel injections like Synvisc? (There are a lot of different versions of this type of drug). https://www.synviscone.com/

2) Don't settle for an average surgeon at the local hospital. The really good ones can do a repair while the average ones just remove the torn bit.
I have United Health Care and don't see gel injections covered. I'm looking to stay in network.

My ortho is the former team doctor of the Dallas Mavericks and has done hundreds of surgeries on pro athletes. He's very qualified.

Unfortunately, the surgery scheduler has been on vacation and out until tomorrow. Even I got scheduled for surgery by the end of September, that only gives me one month before my hunt.

I need to just focus on PT before the hunt and an injection and then get surgery after. Probably makes sense to wait until my new insurance year after Jan 1 because I'll be meeting my out of pocket maximum for the year, so might as well have all of 2023 to benefit from that.

Unckebob

WKR
I have United Health Care and don't see gel injections covered. I'm looking to stay in network.

My ortho is the former team doctor of the Dallas Mavericks and has done hundreds of surgeries on pro athletes. He's very qualified.

Unfortunately, the surgery scheduler has been on vacation and out until tomorrow. Even I got scheduled for surgery by the end of September, that only gives me one month before my hunt.

I need to just focus on PT before the hunt and an injection and then get surgery after. Probably makes sense to wait until my new insurance year after Jan 1 because I'll be meeting my out of pocket maximum for the year, so might as well have all of 2023 to benefit from that.

Outstanding! Good luck with your hunt and surgery.

1 month you will be fine

aion2come

WKR
Good luck. I had my torn meniscus. Had surgery. It solved the meniscus problem but put me bone on bone. About 3 months later I did one backpack elk hunt that way. Got an injection beforehand. The pain was bad, but tolerable. But even with compression, my leg swelled terribly. Wouldn't do it again.

I came back and told my doc I wanted a new knee. Got that done in Feb. I didn't hunt this year, but I just finished 27 miles of backpack scouting in 3 days time in preparation for next year. No pain. No swelling. I was nervous going out, but came back absolutely pumped that I can now do what I love for many years without the issues I've had.

Best wishes to you. Get the injections. Bring compression for your knee and lower leg. Bring pain meds. You'll either tolerate it or you won't. But it is worth the try. Hoping for the best for you.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get an injection and hope that helps bridge the gap till after your hunt.

I had a meniscus tear, surgery to repair it, but then it re-tore about. I refused to get surgery and slowly got my knee back to normal again for about 2 years before I tweaked it again last summer to the point I was having severe knee pain and questioning if I should have another surgery. Then I found "knees over toes guy". I started with some of his most basic exercises about 3 weeks ago and noticed a significant improvement. I took my 3 year old up to the mountains last weekend, and carried him on my shoulder while wearing a pack and hiking about 4 miles a day up and down small hills without any major pain. My knee is not great, but I feel like I can actually hunt this year without surgery.