Mendocino NF A-Zone

I'm curious how the hunting has been in the southern MNF, A-zone specifically. Anybody spending time there? Has it been crowded up there? Any big bucks taken?

JNDEER

WKR
If its A zone it WILL always be crowded. There is a reason you see everyone wearing orange on the youtube videos for A zone.

Coastal, private and northern A zone, IMO have the best chance at killing a "big buck." I would stick with the B's.

OP
B
JNDEER, thanks for the thoughts. I'm definitely focusing on B zone, but since I could pick up an A zone tag for free (from my unsuccessful draw fee), I figured why not. It's also a lot shorter drive for me. I'm just curious about what to expect. I went out in that area in October 2020, just over the b zone line, when it was one of the only national forest areas in b zone that was open. There were a few people out there, but not the crowds that I've seen in the northern part of the MNF. That was a weird year with the fires and covid, so not sure what to expect this year. I also went out to Lake Pillsbury for work a few weeks ago and was surprised how few hunters I saw.

Based on past studies, I would expect the Mendo NF to have very very low deer numbers; with those deer have a very low life expectancy, relative to other herds. As such, I would expect it to be a very very tough hunt.

Totoro

WKR
A-zone MNF is gonna be a tough one going in cold IMO.

Crowded to all mody-hell to boot and HOT!

I know of 2 groups of hunters that got shot a last year cuz they were moving through the brush and was "mistaken" for deer. How, I haven't the slightest. Like other members have said, it's a sea of orange out there for a reason.

To say the least, there are particular "groups" of hunters that are in A-zone that shoot first and ask questions later.

B-zone is a little better in terms of lower hunter numbers per-se but just as hard on public land. Again, HOT weather hunting.

OP
B
Based on past studies, I would expect the Mendo NF to have very very low deer numbers; with those deer have a very low life expectancy, relative to other herds. As such, I would expect it to be a very very tough hunt.
You must be talking about the CDFW funded studies that were published in 2014. I'm pretty familiar with that area, having grown up in Covelo. And I agree, nothing but a few tiny deer, mountain lions, bears, and hunters. I wouldn't recommend anybody go out there.
🤥