Meat Care in the Heat

wrgale

FNG
Wondering if anyone had any wisdom on meat care during the high temps? I have quartered plenty of elk out and we are heading out to Cody wyo this weekend on a cow hunt. The concern is it will be well near 90? Any thoughts besides quartering , skinning, and hanging in game bags. Maybe skip it? Just don’t want see an animal go to waste.

We are going to be ways out from access to any form of ice.

JNDEER

WKR
CA deer season is early and regardless of temp I can hang a deer for a day or two. Pick a spot with FULL shade and the coolest spot you can find (ridge top with wind, creek bottom, etc). If its going to be that hot and you need a few days I would think that if you de-bond and put bags of meat about the size of deer quarters I believe you would be fine based on my hanging of CA deer. Keep meat bags smaller so they can cool.

beware that most or all of contractor/trash bags have pesticides in them. so i would never put meat in them and submerge in bacteria-laden water... people say they do it though!

Pack some ice in. I don't know what else to add. Dunking it in cold water would work, as stated. Keep it out of the sun and get it home asap, or turn it into jerky on the spot?