Meat aging. Promise, this is a different question.

go_deep

WKR
I've read a lot that people will freeze whole quarters, thaw them out, age them, cut it up and package it, then back in the freezer.

Why couldn't a person just cut the meat up at day 2 or 3, take a package of steaks or roast out a week before you wanted to use it and age it in the fridge right before you use it?

It's so cold at my house that I usually can shoot my game, bring in the quarters, scrub them, dry them, wrap them in sheets and hang them in the barn. By morning they are frozen solid. We typically start cutting them up about 1-2 months later.

When I attended North Dakota State I visited the ag dept and asked a few questions. I was told that aging elk and deer was limited to "when the meat was cold". I haven't aged any elk or deer since 1971. All my meat has been tasty and tender. I will never return to hanging my meat - it ain't beef. Your choice!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
The longest I have hung antelope is 5 days. By that time there is a definite difference in the flavor and texture, both for the good. Schedule and Temps usually determine how long the initial hang is to age the meat. I suppose you could freeze and thaw, however that is going to drastically change the rind that develops during the initial hang, I would suspect if the humidity isn't low enough that the meat could get some what mushy/soggy that may induce spoilage. I would be tempted to try it with a front shoulder first before doing an entire animal, just in case it goes sideways. Let us know how it works out, you may be on to something.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Yes, you can cut it up, freeze, and then age for a week or so in the fridge before you cook and eat the meat. I don’t think that will always work though. I like to age before I process the meat. When I thaw out a package of steaks, roast or burger, I like to eat it that night or the very next day. My family will have some kind of meat dish almost every night. Varies between wild game, beef, pork, or chicken.

ToolMann

WKR
I hang for a few days if cold enough and schedule permits. I've also cut and wrapped the same or next day the thawed and cooked without aging. Never could tell the difference so I just let my schedule dictate the process for a given animal.