MDT Hunter 26

SwiftShot

WKR
Looking at MDT Hunter 26 on my rifle. I am wondering if anyone has experience with it and if they have put it on a Christensen Arms.

Lawnboi

WKR
I hear rumors that they are coming out with a carbon fiber vertical grip. Hopefully it’s adjustable. That would make me need one.

Shooting mine more has presented that the ARCA foreend is not Really Right Stuff spec. My Atlas bipod with RRS SC-LR clamp slides up the foreend under the recoil. So I installed an M-lok picatinny rail and put the ADM mount back on the Atlas.

I still like the chassis. My next one likely will not have the ARCA foreend though.

Lawnboi

WKR
Shooting mine more has presented that the ARCA foreend is not Really Right Stuff spec. My Atlas bipod with RRS SC-LR clamp slides up the foreend under the recoil. So I installed an M-lok picatinny rail and put the ADM mount back on the Atlas.

I still like the chassis. My next one likely will not have the ARCA foreend though.

The rrs thumb knob version of an atlas mount is significantly lighter and more sleek. A plus if your looking to save some weight.

The rrs thumb knob version of an atlas mount is significantly lighter and more sleek. A plus if your looking to save some weight.
She is not light by any stretch of the imagination. With the Zermatt TL3 LA, 20" Rock Creek heavy varmint contour barrel, 5-25×56 f1 atacr, spuhr mount, 5 round 3.850 aics mag, and atlas bipod she is probably 13lbs. Lol

She shoots though. Last four shots down the barrel this past Friday at 200 yards. Yellow dot POA.
Screenshot_20221002_212136.jpg

I have a tikka 300wsm sitting in one...no regrets here. Buy one and don't look back. This was coming from an AG composites stock. Much prefer the MDT

fatbacks

WKR

I just got a small M Lok Arca rail and it seems to work just fine for mine.

IMG_5117.JPG

fatbacks

WKR
I am hoping eventually you can buy pieces of this chassis as component parts such as folder/fixed stock piece and carbon fore ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
Only issue is the magnesium is very soft (duh). I ordered one for my Tikka and installed it extremely carefully with the proper torque. Then, when I went to take it apart and put it on my T1X, one of the bolts holding the fore-end on pulled out the threads. Had to send it back to MDT and they replaced it.

Then when the replacement arrived, the box showed up in not-so-great shape. I took it out and went to install it and the whole mag well had been bent like 5 degrees. Too much to even insert a mag into. Back it went to MDT. Still waiting on the replacement.

They obviously have excellent customer service, but I would have preferred that the magnesium not have any threads and the fore-end did not wrap around the barrel. Makes it a pain to have to disassemble the fore-end from the action to swap between guns. And obviously increases the chance that you'll pull out the threads.

For the little bit that I had it, it was absolutely fantastic to shoot. I love the foam on the cheek riser.

I would just recommend that you don't swap it between rifles frequently. And it might not take the same kind of abuse a stock or a heavier chassis might take, so be careful with it.

I'm going to be getting an XLR Element 4.0 MG soon to compare it to. I've got a feeling I might like the XLR more for the reasons mentioned above, but the HNT26 is an excellent product.

20" PRC? Damn that's sweet. What kind of velocity are you getting? Any data for factory Hornady Precision Hunter?
No i do not have any velocity numbers my chronograph gave up the ghost and I've been waiting on a labradar. I might just buy a magnetospeed. I am the second owner of this barreled action. I bought it as a complete rifle package. I didn't like the original chassis so I installed the HNT26. My can is 3/4×24 and the barrel was threaded 5/8×24. So it needed to be cut and threaded and I decided on 20".

The rifle was built and chambered by PVA:
300prc
Zermatt TL3 LA Mag BF full nitride 0moa rail
Rock Creek HV steel no flutes 26" 1:7"tw 5/8×24
Trigger Tech Diamond
Cadex Defense Field Competition Chassis
ATACR 5-25X56 F1
Spuhr SP-4902 30 MOA mount
Atlas bipod
Dead Air Keymo
ATS Tuner
Accurate AICS 3.850" Magazine

Previous owner wanted to shoot PVA 241gr coppers hence the 1:7" twist but he and Unknown Munitions were having trouble finding a suitable load so they abandoned that because he was tired of wasting time and money. So Unknown Munitions finished load development for this barrel using Berger 230gr OTM bullets. ***Again this is for this barrel so use due diligence as this might be too much for your barrel. *** Hornady brass, 82.7gr N570, GM215M primers, Berger 230gr OTM bullets. The chronograph pictures I saw said 3030fps but I cannot confirm nor deny those numbers.

I wasn't sure about the 1:7" twist barrel since I live in Colorado and hunt at high elevations. So I went and shot it in the original configuration at 7,800' elevation. I shot 13 rounds of the UM loads while getting a feel for the rifle. Within those 13 shots I produced these two "3 round groups". Nothing wrong with the 1:7" twist and 230gr Berger combo.

100 yards
20211112_175243.jpg

200 yards
20211112_175310.jpg

All that said, supposedly 3,030fps when it had a 26" barrel. Lol. I'll eventually get a velocity at 20" but I'm happy with the accuracy that I am getting. So I'll just continue to shoot the remainder of the UM loads. It had 207 rounds down the tube when I bought it and I've shot 58 through it.

I put my 20" 7SS Terminus Apollo Lite in one and absolutely love it. I got the arca forend to work with my tripod, but still use the ADM clamp that came on my TBAC bipod so I put a short section of pic rail up front. I've got to where I like my bipod on a fixed attachment with a locking clamp.
PXL_20220620_142634129.jpg