MBG dual trac vs Spot Hogg Triple stack

Hey guys. I am upgrading some equipment this season and am looking at the dual trac and the triple stack. Any experiences with the two? Obviously one has 3 pins and the other 2. They both seem well made. I currently have a three pin ascent verdict but really want to switch to a vertical pin setup. Looks like both sights have individually adjustable pins and should have a good warranty. I kind of like the simplicity of the two pins on the dual trac but have been shooting a 3 pin setup for 10+ years. Just looking for real world experience - thanks for the help!

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both. They both do the job well. I found that on the triple stack (I had pins set .19, .19, .10) and 20-30-40, that I really pretty much found the bottom pin useless unless I was shooting at 120 yards. Otherwise, I didn't need it. It's a great sight if you want to add some distance, but at the same time the housing is HUGE. So what you gain in having a 3rd pin, you lose in housing size.

With the dual track, they're nice. Same benefits as the triple stack but no unnecessary 3rd pin. In my opinion, I'd want 2 pins over 3 for this kind of sight. The only advantage there over another fixed, 2 pin sight is the idea that you can set them at say 20-40 or whatever, so you never really need to move your housing. Which, isn't that sorta the point of this kind of sight?

So my HHA has 2 pins that sit at 20 and 35 and that gap closes some as I move up in yards, which either of the two aforementioned sights do the same thing moving up the sight tape. The only difference is, my HHA is set from the factory and I can't change is, which I personally like because it's one thing less to have to mess with. For me, the main benefit is the vertical pins and multiple pins in case an animal runs out while I'm at full draw. With the 3 pin, I have a potential extra range of 20ish yards, and I don't think I'm good enough at judging distance to make that call at full draw, personally. Especially while likely looking through a peep sight.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a triple stack, but switched back to a spot hog double pin.
If you want 20/30/40, the triples stack is awesome. But for me, I use the double pin set at 25/40, and shoot the top pin inside of 30 in a hunting situation. So for me, the 3rd pin was kind of pointless if I set it 20/30/40, since I can get out to 40 without dialing with 2 pins.

I tried to set the triplestack 25/40/50, but then I had to run the bottom pin so close to the bottom, it was where the pins widen out and it blocked too much of the target for my liking at longer range.
With the double pin, I can aim with the intersection of the pin and top of the level at my home position, and it's on at 50.

I also really prefer having my top in the exact center of the housing. Makes it easier for me to center housing in the peep, and then the pin is automatically centered. To do this with the triplestack, you're limiting the space for the 2nd and 3rd pin, so again you might as well just have 2.

The MRT ring on the 2 pin head is the same diameter as the small MRT ring with the triplestack, so you run into fletching clearance issues at the same time. The single ring is smaller on the 2 pin head, so you could squeeze out about another 10 yards of max range by swapping rings.

I haven't had a dual trac, but the main benefit it has over the 2 pin spot hogg is you can adjust the distance between the pins.

After owning a landslyde, I've come to the conclusion that I really prefer the tape on the wheel, instead of a vertical tape like the black gold, so I won't be getting a dual trac for that reason.

OP
180splitg3
I've had both. They both do the job well. I found that on the triple stack (I had pins set .19, .19, .10) and 20-30-40, that I really pretty much found the bottom pin useless unless I was shooting at 120 yards. Otherwise, I didn't need it. It's a great sight if you want to add some distance, but at the same time the housing is HUGE. So what you gain in having a 3rd pin, you lose in housing size.

With the dual track, they're nice. Same benefits as the triple stack but no unnecessary 3rd pin. In my opinion, I'd want 2 pins over 3 for this kind of sight. The only advantage there over another fixed, 2 pin sight is the idea that you can set them at say 20-40 or whatever, so you never really need to move your housing. Which, isn't that sorta the point of this kind of sight?

So my HHA has 2 pins that sit at 20 and 35 and that gap closes some as I move up in yards, which either of the two aforementioned sights do the same thing moving up the sight tape. The only difference is, my HHA is set from the factory and I can't change is, which I personally like because it's one thing less to have to mess with. For me, the main benefit is the vertical pins and multiple pins in case an animal runs out while I'm at full draw. With the 3 pin, I have a potential extra range of 20ish yards, and I don't think I'm good enough at judging distance to make that call at full draw, personally. Especially while likely looking through a peep sight.
Thanks for the input 👍🏻. I'm liking the idea of the dual trac/less pins

OP
180splitg3
I had a triple stack, but switched back to a spot hog double pin.
If you want 20/30/40, the triples stack is awesome. But for me, I use the double pin set at 25/40, and shoot the top pin inside of 30 in a hunting situation. So for me, the 3rd pin was kind of pointless if I set it 20/30/40, since I can get out to 40 without dialing with 2 pins.

I tried to set the triplestack 25/40/50, but then I had to run the bottom pin so close to the bottom, it was where the pins widen out and it blocked too much of the target for my liking at longer range.
With the double pin, I can aim with the intersection of the pin and top of the level at my home position, and it's on at 50.

I also really prefer having my top in the exact center of the housing. Makes it easier for me to center housing in the peep, and then the pin is automatically centered. To do this with the triplestack, you're limiting the space for the 2nd and 3rd pin, so again you might as well just have 2.

The MRT ring on the 2 pin head is the same diameter as the small MRT ring with the triplestack, so you run into fletching clearance issues at the same time. The single ring is smaller on the 2 pin head, so you could squeeze out about another 10 yards of max range by swapping rings.

I haven't had a dual trac, but the main benefit it has over the 2 pin spot hogg is you can adjust the distance between the pins.

After owning a landslyde, I've come to the conclusion that I really prefer the tape on the wheel, instead of a vertical tape like the black gold, so I won't be getting a dual trac for that reason.
Thank you!

WBrim

WKR
I use a 5 pin, but always find myself wanting to try a 2. Primarily hunt elk, so I like the idea of not dialing unless they are 60+. Anyone switch from 5 to a 2? Maybe I just need to try it and figure out what works best for me.

I went from a Single Pin HHA to the SH Triple Stack, I really like the idea of the triple stack but the oversized scope and weight were big negatives. I just picked up another HHA in the Tetra Max with the 2 vertical pins. Seems to be the best for me. Smaller housing, lighter weight, easy to change sight wheel, I like it a lot. Can't say much for the dual trac other than my friends that had them liked them.

I have had good luck with SH and HHA. Currently using a tommy hogg. only BG i had stripped and wouldn't dial. They are a little lighter but you pay a cost in durability imo.

If you’ve got 10+ years with a 3 pin, have you ever wished you had less pins? Otherwise, it seems like staying with 3 pins will keep you in the same mental sight picture.

DanimalW

WKR
Sworn fixed pin guy that tried the dual trac last year. A third pin might be nice, but you should be able to pin gap or judge holdover with a 20/25 and 40 yard pin. Beyond that you should be able to dial in unless the animal is on the move, in which case it doesn’t make for a good long range shot anyway. As an aging guy with bad vision to begin with, I think I’d prefer a 2” scope housing if available with SH. But otherwise, I really like the dual trac. I just hate shooting with the bottom pin now. It ruined fixed pins for me I think.

WBrim

WKR
Is this sort of like the “don’t look thru top tier glass if you aren’t prepared to buy- your old glass won’t compare” concept? If I start shooting a 2 pin, is 5 going to seem all cluttered up?

DanimalW

WKR
Is this sort of like the “don’t look thru top tier glass if you aren’t prepared to buy- your old glass won’t compare” concept? If I start shooting a 2 pin, is 5 going to seem all cluttered up?
I would say yes, optically, but not financially. Unless you need to buy a new bow, rest, quiver, release and arrows to get a new sight. Then it might cost as much as top tier binos…

WBrim

WKR
I would say yes, optically, but not financially. Unless you need to buy a new bow, rest, quiver, release and arrows to get a new sight. Then it might cost as much as top tier binos…
True. Financially, not a good comparison.
Thanks!
But, I have needed excuses to get new gear before- never tried the “well, a whole new set up would sure go well with this new sight…”
Haha

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 7 deadly pin for lots of years, last year I switched to the fast Eddie 2 pin and I will not go back to fixed horizontal pins. It took a week or so to get used to the sight picture being so open but my distance shooting has improved drastically, it’s so much easier to not count pins. When I’m hunting I have it set at 25 & 40 and figure I’m covered if it’s further I should be able to range.

Dual trac is lighter with awesome pins. The TS is built much more robust. I prefer the SH to BG for the piece of mind. I have sent BG sights in for repair multiple times and never a SH. I also like the individual pins that are adjustable. But, you can go wrong with either.

one more add is that MBG pins are waaaaaay brighter than spot hogg. I'm halfway tempted to send my sight to mbg to change one or both pins from .019 to .010..

WBrim

WKR
MNG pins do light up really well. And the photochromatic (not sure that’s the right term?) cover helps keep them from over doing it.