Votes: 6 19.4%
  • 400 yards

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • 500 plus yards

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Ucsdryder

WKR
What’s your max range with inline, scoped muzzle loaders out west? Mule deer, elk, and antelope? I’m talking ideal conditions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm 300, that was with my Arrowhead Muzz with their proprietary bullet. Didn't end up killing anything that far as I had to take scope off for the state I was hunting, but at the range, 300 was vital sized groups (was less) everytime I shot.

ENCORE

WKR
I shoot long range constantly and to 1,000yds. 600yds would be my limit. If one doesn't shoot LONG RANGE, they should never attempt shooting at distance.
Practice, practice, practice......... and practice some more.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I shoot long range constantly and to 1,000yds. 600yds would be my limit. If one doesn't shoot LONG RANGE, they should never attempt shooting at distance.
Practice, practice, practice......... and practice some more.
Do you have a “special” muzzle loader that’s set up for 600 or do you think a ACCURA LR (long range) with a scope could be capable to similar distances? I’m in Colorado so I’m barely shooting 100 with my open sights, I’m more curious based on a conversation I had with someone.

ENCORE

WKR
Do you have a “special” muzzle loader that’s set up for 600 or do you think a ACCURA LR (long range) with a scope could be capable to similar distances? I’m in Colorado so I’m barely shooting 100 with my open sights, I’m more curious based on a conversation I had with someone.
Yes. I shoot a complete custom built 45cal. Yes, its has a scope, a Nightforce NXS.
I took 1st place at a shoot at Camp Atterbury, IN last June. We shot 800yds, 900yds and 1,000yds. This was done within the rules of the NMLRA, using 120grs VOLUME of BH209. I shot the Arrowhead 350gr XLD bullets. The person who shot 2nd, was also shooting 350gr XLD's. I DID NOT use the muzzle brake at Camp Atterbury.

This target has 5 rounds through each hole. 10 rounds at 100yds.

11-7-2020 1A.jpg

This is my rifle..........

IMG_2023.JPG

WKR
That is crazy good. Amazing really. I'm old school blackpowder but tip of the hat on that shooting.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that matters greatly is terminal bullet performance. At muzzleloader velocities bullet upset drops off very fast .
I shot a whitetail at a lasered 157 yards in Kansas , hardly "long" range . It was s complete pass through and he made it about 75 yards, however while field dressing there was little evidence of bullet expansion. 275 grain Parker Ballistic Extreme over 120 grains of 777.

Something to consider

ENCORE

WKR
One thing that matters greatly is terminal bullet performance. At muzzleloader velocities bullet upset drops off very fast .
I shot a whitetail at a lasered 157 yards in Kansas , hardly "long" range . It was s complete pass through and he made it about 75 yards, however while field dressing there was little evidence of bullet expansion. 275 grain Parker Ballistic Extreme over 120 grains of 777.

Something to consider
This is my drop chart for the 350gr XLD and 120grs VOLUME of BH209.
The XLD is an excellent bullet.
You might try the Fury line of bullets. Its surprising that the BE didn't expand ???

Screenshot 2022-11-03 172405 2.jpg

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
This is my drop chart for the 350gr XLD and 120grs VOLUME of BH209.
The XLD is an excellent bullet.
You might try the Fury line of bullets. Its surprising that the BE didn't expand ???

View attachment 470743

That was my point , not enough retained velocity at extended ranges hurts expansion and therefore tissue destruction and killing power.
Regardless of accuracy typical muzzleloaders are not rifles.
A deer shot at the same range with a rifle has mush for lungs and a huge wound channel a muzzleloader bullet doesn't have the speed to do that .

ENCORE

WKR
That was my point , not enough retained velocity at extended ranges hurts expansion and therefore tissue destruction and killing power.
Regardless of accuracy typical muzzleloaders are not rifles.
A deer shot at the same range with a rifle has mush for lungs and a huge wound channel a muzzleloader bullet doesn't have the speed to do that .
That is also why that although I shoot much further, 600yds is maximum at any game animal. My bullet will do exactly what its supposed to do at that range.

Now, if I need more speed, my rifle is very capable of it. This is with a 350gr XLD. Still, 600yds is maximum..

Screenshot 2022-11-03 161927 2960fps.jpg

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I get you . With your set up it should . 2960 is not a typical muzzleloader velocity .

or do you think a ACCURA LR (long range) with a scope could be capable to similar distances?

I didn't see anyone address this. I have an arrowhead smokeless encore 45 setup similar to Robby's. Arrowhead considers these to be "300 yard rifles" and that aligns pretty well with my experience just based on 100 and 200 yd groups shot with a chrono. I'd want some more time with it before i shot at a deer @ 300 yards, i'm very comfortable @ 200 right now. That's with smokeless powder and the LRM primer modules. My assumption is that an Accura is going to be a step down from this in capability with blackhorn and 209 primers.

I've not geeked out on muzzle loaders like i have other hunting gear so I can't say exactly how good an Accura can be but I'd be very surprised if you could get one to what I'd consider ethical for shooting at game @ 600 yards. But then again 600 yards is pushing my ethical limit with 6.5, 7mm, and 300 mag centerfires in broken mountainous terrain where i'm not dialed in on reading tough winds. And those rifles are pushing much more slippery bullets quite a bit faster.

@Ucsdryder - is yours a 45 or 50? Seems there are better BC bullet options in 45 so that would impact range too.

Last edited:
Looking at this more, it seems the Accura 45s typically push the .45 280 ELRs around 2000 fps. Run the #'s on that..

At standard atmospheric conditions w/ 10mph crosswind @ 600 yards that is 36.6 MOA drop and 11.4 MOA (6 feet) of windage. A 300wm 215 berger load (2940 fps) reaches those angular corrections around 1290 yards for drop and @ 1750 yards for windage.

I stop at 200 because shit happens in the field that doesn't occur at the range. The animal takes a step and the shot is nonlethal...no quick back-up shot and now he's gone into the thick stuff. Recommend carrying speed load vials.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
I stop at 200 because shit happens in the field that doesn't occur at the range. The animal takes a step and the shot is nonlethal...no quick back-up shot and now he's gone into the thick stuff. Recommend carrying speed load vials.

Yep , it sure do !