Maven RS.5 Review

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I hate watching/reading reviews on scopes. The guy pulls it out of the box tells you the specs. Then raves about how badass it is. Then follows up by shoot a rock the size of a Volkswagen and says look how accurate this scope is. Well hell, I sure hope the scope works when it’s brand new. I guess I’ve always tried to break shit before I try to sell it to people.

I have done that with the Maven RS.5 over the last six months. I have dropped it on all three sides, smacked it with a rubber mallet and dialed the hell out of it. It simply returns to zero and stays zeroed. I videoed all of it and will get it posted up soon.

57BC4C7F-9D0D-4D0C-A3A5-24D07E8DC159.jpeg 03F6849B-6D3B-4D1E-982F-0A29A326AE0A.jpegBBBF0B2A-B86F-42C5-A6B3-4998618FD8F1.jpegE0947AEA-DEB9-4865-98EE-5CD6A0B02EFC.jpeg

I have this scope and have been running it through the ringer also. It’s mounted on a 270wsm. Truly the best scope I’ve found other then it’s a little heavy. Returns to zero with easy to set zero stop, dials accurately, glass is super crisp and clear in all lighting conditions, and it’s not gotten bumped from zero. The gun fell off the sled at range from 3’ bench with no issues. I had a zeiss v4 50mm prior and this is a big upgrade especially in glass quality. I’d definitely buy another If I needed a scope.

MTRaine

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my rifle back yesterday and will be putting it through the paces as much as I can in the next two weeks. Initial impressions are good. My smith was super impressed with it. He ran it out to 650 quick and said he had no complaints whatsoever and liked it more than a Zeiss v6. We’ll see how it holds up. I’m super unlucky and if something goes wrong I’ll be the person it happens to 😂

Attachments

• CE2FD72F-1A83-4A82-98DA-B708E744BDE4.jpeg
    CE2FD72F-1A83-4A82-98DA-B708E744BDE4.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 83

nobody

WKR
Jumping in on this. I'm wanting to upgrade the scope on my X-Bolt and I'm needing a scope for my 6.5 PRC that's on its way, this one is at the top of the list. Any updates on an official review?

I’ve had mine for 8 months now and it’s been great. Rifle was dropped twice in rugged stuff during hunting season and held zero. Didn’t really think illuminated reticle was something I needed on a scope but it’s truly a game changer for low light long distance shots now that I’ve never payed with it. Only downside is the weight but I guess any scope with this quality is heavy. It’s mounted on a 270 wsm tikka. Had a swaro z3 4-12x50 on it prior but Never felt it dialed constantly. The maven has no issues with that

kickemall

WKR
I hate watching/reading reviews on scopes. The guy pulls it out of the box tells you the specs. Then raves about how badass it is. Then follows up by shoot a rock the size of a Volkswagen and says look how accurate this scope is. Well hell, I sure hope the scope works when it’s brand new. I guess I’ve always tried to break shit before I try to sell it to people.

I have done that with the Maven RS.5 over the last six months. I have dropped it on all three sides, smacked it with a rubber mallet and dialed the hell out of it. It simply returns to zero and stays zeroed. I videoed all of it and will get it posted up so
I'm sure glad to hear this. It was one I hope got reviewed as I just got one and really like it but haven't used it enough to test durability. Thanks for doing this.

I just got my rifle back yesterday and will be putting it through the paces as much as I can in the next two weeks. Initial impressions are good. My smith was super impressed with it. He ran it out to 650 quick and said he had no complaints whatsoever and liked it more than a Zeiss v6. We’ll see how it holds up. I’m super unlucky and if something goes wrong I’ll be the person it happens to 😂
Looks like just enough tube length in the Hawkins Hybrid rings?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Get this moved over to the testing forum and let's get the report Mr.
Sorry for the delay, To standardize the testing I am having form do the evaluation on it. He has the scope now so it should be out next week. His eval is a little harsher than what I put scopes through.

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the update Ryan, looking forward to the final analysis! Hoping for good stuff, this one is at the top of my list for a couple of rifles. My guess is if it held zero for you all season and survived what you put it through it'll be great for everything I'll use it for, but it'll be interesting to see how it holds up to the torture test!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the update Ryan, looking forward to the final analysis! Hoping for good stuff, this one is at the top of my list for a couple of rifles. My guess is if it held zero for you all season and survived what you put it through it'll be great for everything I'll use it for, but it'll be interesting to see how it holds up to the torture test!
Yes, Form and I have great debates on where the line is. To me, if a scope holds zero on the 18" drops. I have no issues using it. But it's also very interesting to me that scopes do make it through the eval. Now my selfish goal is to find the lightest dialing 16x+ rifle scope that passes the test or start the conversation of getting one built.

nobody

WKR
Yes, Form and I have great debates on where the line is. To me, if a scope holds zero on the 18" drops. I have no issues using it. But it's also very interesting to me that scopes do make it through the eval. Now my selfish goal is to find the lightest dialing 16x+ rifle scope that passes the test or start the conversation of getting one built.
I tend to agree with the 18" threshold, and equally surprising is how many scopes don't pass that portion of the test. And I wouldn't call that goal selfish, I bet if you started a poll we would find that most of the guys on here feel exactly the same!

I d
I doubt even want that much.
Just a 5x zoom ratio with a clean usable reticle in mrad and a good zero stop.
Actually available for sale.
Perfer ffp but id sway back to 2nd if I had to.

No huge objectives, zoom ratios, illumination.

Elikini

FNG
Anyone who has used the RS.5 had issues with being able to focus it? I just got one and took it to the range and could never get a clear image of my target. Tried adjust the parallax and the diopter with no luck. Am I missing something? Anyone else had this issue? I've never had an issue like this with any of my other scopes.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Edge of my seat over here I just picked up a RS.1 for my Sako S20 but have seen very few thorough reviews other than the standard unboxing kinds you mentioned.