Maven RF.1 Rangefinder vs. ?

fishslap

WKR
I’m looking for a replacement for my vortex ranger 1500. The Maven RF.1 checks all the boxes but not sure about the side dial that sticks out and it’s a bit heavy. I want angle compensating and ability to range natural targets out to 1000 yards simply to plan stalks within 400 yards for rifle hunts. I also like the forest mode for ranging in snow. I do not need integrated ballistic calculations but I’m open to opinions. Shots are within 400 yards on my rifle and within 100 on my muzzleloaders. 50/50 use on those methods. I could stick with my vortex ranger for muzzleloader hunts.

Based on the above, should I be looking at other options, go with the maven RF.1 or drop down to the CRF.1?

After having mine for a while I actually enjoy the larger size as it’s easier to get an accurate range and feels better in the hand. I also really don’t notice the dial on the side in actual use. It’s an exceptionally strong laser and I have gotten 1000+ yard ranges handheld completely unsupported. Plus it has a lifetime warranty on both electronics and optics. I recommend it to everyone looking for a rangefinder.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
After having mine for a while I actually enjoy the larger size as it’s easier to get an accurate range and feels better in the hand. I also really don’t notice the dial on the side in actual use. It’s an exceptionally strong laser and I have gotten 1000+ yard ranges handheld completely unsupported. Plus it has a lifetime warranty on both electronics and optics. I recommend it to everyone looking for a rangefinder.

That’s the feedback I was looking for, a little decision making help from someone who owns one. Thanks!

wesfromky

WKR
I got a RF.1 this spring. Haven't used it a ton, but it is really nice. The forest mode worked great in the bit of testing I have done, and the glass is super crisp and clear.

Roor

FNG
I got a RF.1 this spring. Haven't used it a ton, but it is really nice. The forest mode worked great in the bit of testing I have done, and the glass is super crisp and clear.
I have one also. No experience with other brands but it worked fine for me in Colorado last year and I am happy with it.

RWT

WKR
Have one and prefer it over my old Lecia CRF1000. Better laser. Size is an issue as I am used to carrying it in a short pocket. I would buy it again just for the functionality over the CRF

I bought one last year and mostly like it:
-The dial often gets hung up both in and out of the carry pouch (marsupial gear).
-I like the larger size, but if you have small hands it might be cumbersome, especially trying to operate the dial while ranging.
-The eye relief took me a little while to get used to because if it isn’t just right the reticle isn’t visible.

That being said:
-The opitcs are terrific.
-I haven’t had any issues ranging through mist, fog, snow or rain.
-I haven’t done the formidulosis test and left it in the freezer overnight, but it functioned in near zero conditions for me last year.
-The reticle is clear and uncluttered.
-The menu and functions are easy to use and access through the dial.
-The warranty and people at Maven are top notch.
-I’m a little red color blind so the display color is a nice and prominent red-orangish

@sndmn11 did a helpful and pretty spot on review of the rf.1 if you search for it. If you’re looking for other units to compare it to, I would look at the vortex 4000 or sig 5k. I liked the maven out of those three, but they are all good rangefinders. Best of luck.