Maven binos

Zachh72

FNG
Hello everyone new to the forum here I went to the expo in Salt Lake City Utah and stopped by the maven booth I was super surprised by there binos I already own a range finder from them and I am looking to get some input from people who own them I am stuck between which magnification to get I liked the B.2 9x45’s but I also liked the B1.2 10x42 does anyone have any pros and cons between the two, or should I go a different route on the magnification.

I’ve owned the two you mentioned and the B6 10x50. The B6 is my personal favorite. All 3 are a fine choice in binoculars in that price range. But splitting hairs to differentiate - IMO the B6 has the best optics of the thee (only by a smidge), weighs less and handles much better than the B2, and the view is slightly more saturated than the B1.2.

Magnification is always a very personal preference. To me it really depends on the environment I’ll be primarily using it in. For the woods I prefer an 8x, for the mountains and prairie a 10x. Also, magnifications are more ideally suited in different designs. With the models you’re considering I’d recommend these configurations = B6 10x50, B1.2 8x42, B2 9x45.

Are there better binoculars at this price point - that‘s debatable and mostly comes down to preferences. But the Mavens are a solid choice with very good performance and build quality for the $.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Above sums it up well. I’ve ran b2’s for a long time and upgraded to b1.2 for size/handling. The b2 is a great optic but also large/heavy. B1.2 can show some CA in really critical/high glare environments and isn’t quite as easy to just get behind as a b2, but I still like it more due to frame/size than the b2. I’ve got no doubts that b6 would be a better optics just due to the objective alone.

I own both. I like my 10x B 1.2 as they are smaller and better suited when we are doing alot of walking and glassing. I like the B2 9x45 when we are sitting and glassing. I have been taking my B1.2's more during the last 2 elk hunts due to their size. My guide and a friend can have whatever glass he wants and he has the B2 9x45. As a note his son does not like them and prefers his Vortex. They both also own Leica's, Steiners and Zeiss's. If he's not grabbing his ranging Leica's he has the Mavens.

During our hunt last year we were glassing some eagles in a tree, I had my B1.2's and another hunter had a pair of Leica's. Can't remember the model but he said they cost bout $2,800.
He liked the B1.2's better, he thought they had a bit better color and clarity. I tested his and they were nice but I didn't see the $$ difference. Just a note he was 80 and I'm 62 so maybe it was our old eyes...lol

nobody

WKR
Neither one, the B.6 is what you want. Specifically the 10x50. You get all the good from the B.2 9x45 (5mm exit pupil, great field of view, exceptional optics) in a better (ie smaller) package. The b1.2 10x42 is an ok bino, but they pale in comparison to the b.2 and b.6. The physics of a 10x42 won’t allow them to perform in low/poor light like the 9x45 and 10x50 will. There’s a reason the b1 and 1.2 aren’t ever mentioned in a comparison of “maven vs swaro/Leica/zeiss,” it’s always the b.2 and lately, the b.6

If you get the b.6, do the 10x50. Easier to handhold than a 12x50 and you get better low light performance
If you do the b.2, do the 9x45 for the same reason.
Don’t buy the b1.2, it won’t keep up with the other two in suboptimal conditions (small exit pupil and low twilight factor).

EDIT TO ADD: this conversation changes a bit if you want an 8x, but I won’t opine there, as I personally think an 8x bino is a waste of weight and space and money (for how I’ve always hunted). So my post is admittedly biased because I’ll never buy anything below a 10 (another reason I say b6 over b2), no matter what anybody says or what a marketing campaign tries to sell me on haha.

Last edited:

MD97756

Lil-Rokslider
I too have been struggling with deciding on which to get. All the input here has helped me choose my next binos. B6 12x50 is what I think I’ll get, gonna have to compare the 10’s and see

Hoodie

WKR
I bino-hopped in that price range for a long time before settling on the 10x50 B6. I never figured I'd end up with a 10x50 either. But man does that big exit pupil make them easy to sit behind.

The 9x45 B2 isn't any better optically than the B6. The B2 has a lot of cool factor but the size and weight aren't worth it. I'd take the 8x42 B1.2 over the B2.

I just bought a pair of B1.2 10x42s. Made the purchase without using their Demo program (guess I got excited). I do like the optic capabilities of this unit but I have deeper eye sockets and the eye pieces are too large to be comfortable. I can use them best with the eyepiece "wings" from Field Optics Research (Maven sells these under accessories).

sdolan617

FNG
Damn I had my eyes on the B1.2 10x42 but I think you all just sold me on the B6 10x50s

Currently running the B.5 15X56 and they are an absolute joy to get behind on the tripod

Hello everyone new to the forum here I went to the expo in Salt Lake City Utah and stopped by the maven booth I was super surprised by there binos I already own a range finder from them and I am looking to get some input from people who own them I am stuck between which magnification to get I liked the B.2 9x45’s but I also liked the B1.2 10x42 does anyone have any pros and cons between the two, or should I go a different route on the magnification.
I have the B.5 in 12x56, which I know isn’t in your specific criteria. The point worth making is their glass is phenomenal, and I’d advocate for more mag over 3mm difference in objective lens diameter. To each their own, but Maven’s glass is so good I wouldn’t stress objective lens diameter, get the mag you like that suits your purpose.

Also, when I was trying to decide on which binds to get, I called them and got great personable insight by their team to help me understand differences between their different binos to make the right choice.

You’ll be happy with anything you get from them.

I thought hard about the b.6 but ended up with 1.2s and love them so far with 1 full season under them

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

MD97756

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out Thursday after work to check them out at the sportsman show. Anyone know what kind of discount they offer for the shows?