Maven binocular help.

Chuck.

FNG
Hey guys new here and first post. been reading for a while now tho. I've been looking at getting a big set of binos. I already have a set of maven c.3 12x. I have been looking at 15s or 18s b5s. I'm looking for a bino for tripod an truck use. Just looking for opinions on if 15s would be to close to my 12s or if I should jump up to a 18. Will use these instead of spotter.

• Banned
OP
C

Chuck.

FNG
FWIW I have the Maven B.5 15s and I demo'd both the 15s and 18s but personally much prefer the bigger field of view of 15s for glassing vs. the 18s.
that's my concern with the 18s. I've read a lot of reviews on them both. just torn if 15s will be enough over my 12s. I know they are better glass so I'm sure either will be an improvement.

Recently wrote this in response to another recent thread: “For the big truck or dedicated tripod glass a 15x56 would be my choice over the 18s. I recently had both the B5 15&18x56 side-by-side and to me the 15s definitely offered better image quality - a bit sharper and a bit less CA. Since they are the same optical design I just attribute it to the increase in magnification. Although the image appears closer everything is magnified and more obvious including image imperfections. Every optic has a sweet-spot here, and with the B5 18x appears just a step too far. 15s are better IMO.”

Will the 15x56 B5 give noticeably more reach than your current C3 12x? In addition to the pure magnification the B5 is a superior optical design in just about every way. The Abbe-Koenig prism system with better glass will be much sharper and brighter.

IMO, if one needs more magnification than 15x it’s really time for a spotter.

• Banned
OP
C

Chuck.

FNG
Recently wrote this in response to another recent thread: “For the big truck or dedicated tripod glass a 15x56 would be my choice over the 18s. I recently had both the B5 15&18x56 side-by-side and to me the 15s definitely offered better image quality - a bit sharper and a bit less CA. Since they are the same optical design I just attribute it to the increase in magnification. Although the image appears closer everything is magnified and more obvious including image imperfections. Every optic has a sweet-spot here, and with the B5 18x appears just a step too far. 15s are better IMO.”

Will the 15x56 B5 give noticeably more reach than your current C3 12x? In addition to the pure magnification the B5 is a superior optical design in just about every way. The Abbe-Koenig prism system with better glass will be much sharper and brighter.

IMO, if one needs more magnification than 15x it’s really time for a spotter.
I actually read your post about them the other day and that's what got me thinking 15s over the 18s. And I'm starting to think I will stick with the 15s! I appreciate your guys thoughts.

4th_point

WKR
I haven't used the 15x or 18x from Maven, other than at one of their show booths, but have owned other brands in 15x and 16x.

Anyway, for me I would be concerned about the DOF with the 18x. Certainly not a deal breaker given the application for high power binocs (i.e. beyond the effective range of 8x or 10x), but my 15x and 16x are/were pretty shallow. And in general it gets worse with more magnification.

Some talk about an optics quiver or arsenal. For me it would be 8x42, 15x56, and a spotting scope with 30x plus. Good spread of magnification, FOV, and DOF.

Fun Guy

FNG
Love my Mavens. I’d go 15’s and work towards an 8 for your chest, either B3 or B1.2. Add the doubler and you are ready for almost every scenario.