Mathew’s Halon 6

Spoony

FNG
I am a rifle hunter now looking for a bow. I think it is moronic to go scouting, see people hunting with bows, and here I am staring at a big 6 pt bull wondering if he will still be around during rifle seasons. I know very little about archery and need help getting into this.

I am a backcountry solo backpack elk and mule deer hunter, I usually hunt high country. Weight matters. I am a rookie forsure. I would like to start with an older used higher end bow. I would like something I can grow into for the next 3 to 5 years. Bow must be made in USA and quality. I have no comment on speed or anything other performance specs, I am a rookie, but I do want accuracy. Price is not a concern but I like good deals as we all do.

I came across a black Mathew’s Halon 6, with arrows, broadheads, Mathew’s drop away rest, Mathew’s site, tru ball max thumb release for $600 asking. Does this bow seem right for me?

JStol5

WKR
I think a used high end bow is the best way to go for new archers/bow hunters. When I started I bought a cheap little PSE and outgrew it in a year or so. I think you’re on the right track.

I would try and have any used bow inspected by a pro shop prior to purchase. Or, sometimes those shops will have used bows on consignment/for sale and that’s a much safer route then buying from an individual.

Used high end loaded bows can be found for great deals but it can be daunting if you don't know what your looking for. Is it listed as cinsigent at a pro shop? That would be great so they could set you up. I wouldn't touch anything with limb scrapes dents or dings. Bent cams or cam track wear also an obvious pass Are you trying to go this season? If not I'd wait for dec January when everyone offloads their old bows after season and new bows released, there are much better deals than now however that loaded halin 6 sounds pretty good for the price. A way to avoid the scorn of your local shop ("I bought this on eBay can you set it up for me?") is if you do buy used on here or eBay or local is to get it restrung at your local proshop and that way they have to restring it and get it into spec for you. Probably not a bad idea on a used bow anyways.

Do you know your draw length? Have you shot any bows before? 70# can be rough to start with, however it's likely thats where you will end up tho not needed.

Arrows need to match the DL and the DW of a bow to some extent, so they could be of no use to you. Likely going to need new mods to fit the DL to you.

Probably also needs new strings and cables.

So mods (45-60$) String and cable (125-200$) Arrows (90-200+).

Might not be the deal it seems, but everything could fit you just right too. I'd suggest finding a good local shop (assuming one is around) and go in there, see what they have. They will be able to measure you and get you roughly fitted to a bow.
Having equipment that doesn't fit you is just going to suck. About as awkward as the wrong boots.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I would go to a pro shop, start shooting bows. Learn as much as you can about the basics of how a bow is fitted to someone and what the important specs are to look for. I wouldn't even be looking at what's for sale on the classifieds without a solid understanding of the specs you would want out of a bow. There are all shapes and sizes of bows tailored to specific hunting situations and body types. All the info is on the youtube. I would start there.

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
I’ll try to address everyone. I appreciate all of your input. So no, I have 2nd rifle tags this year, so I might wait until the 2023s come out. But I can be impulsive, today was a really fun and good day. Went to the local shop and what an amazing experience. Didn’t want to rely on forum and YouTube opinions alone. They were so patient with me. After telling them about this Craigslist Halon I was really interested in, They set 4 bows up for me and one guy focused on me for about almost 2 hrs straight. The bows included a new $1900 carbon bow. There were other people waiting but the guy stayed dead focused on me. I couldn’t believe it. I got a free shooting lesson and lots of tips even after telling them I might buy another bow. I bought some Sitka for their troubles. For dealing with a newbie and newbie questions. Good excuse for Sitka, right?

I am 28”, I like around 30” axle to axle, 4.5 lbs weight seems ok for backpacking. I was very comfortable at a 65 lbs draw, I could probably shoot that for a good while. and around a 6.5” brace seems awesome, but maybe it was the bow? Who knows.

They had a used Mathew’s vertix 2018 for $600 that I really really really liked, but it was bare. Probably will be another $500 in stuff I assume. BUT I liked it way better than that carbon bow. I couldn’t believe the difference. I wish I could shoot that halon for comparison. These guys have my business.

The last time I had a bow was a Bear in the 90s. Things have progressed in the bow world to say the least.

Thank you guys for helping me down the rabbit hole.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Bow's really haven't changed in the last 5-7 years, especially Mathews. The cross centric cam is nearly the same on the Halon as the V3X. If you are going to become a bow hunter, then sure purchase a new rig, only after shooting multiple brands at a shop. Otherwise, to scout with an opportunity, that halon will do just fine. Slap some new strings on it, get it tuned and enjoy your time in the woods.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was going through the same thing. Ended up getting a Mathews V3X 29 at the local pro shop. I figure with everything it still cost me less than my last rifle and scope. It is fun being able to come home from work and shoot in the back yard. It is also fun not having 20 shots cost me 30 dollars.

To me, the V3X had enough new fetures (bridge lock sight, SAS, low prow quiver) that I figured the price difference would be worth it over the course of 5 to 10 years. I could be wrong though.

They had a used Halon 6, but did not have the mods on hand to make it fit me. The V3X also felt better to me than the Mathews VX and the Hoyt Ventum Pro. They did not have the Mathews Tactic, so I was not able to try it.