Marsupial Bino Harness 'True North' Compass Fix

I'm looking to upgrade my bino harness for this season and the Marsupial Gear magnetic harness seems to be what I've landed on. The only hangup I'm having is the compass interference from the magnet. I know this has been beaten into the ground on multiple threads but I have not seen anyone try changing their digital compass to 'true north' to stop the magnetic interference. This is what they say right on their website:

WARNING: This Product Contains Magnets. This may interfere with a compass or digital compass in close proximity! Extend your arm out or set digital compass to true north to avoid interference with compass needle.

I mainly use Onx maps and the directional compass in the map to get me going in a general direction when it gets dark or western backpack hunting. So the small difference between magnetic north and true north (usually 10-11 degrees where I am) should still get me going in relatively the right direction. Has anyone who has a marsupial tried this? You can change to true north on an iPhone and also Garmin devices which I use. Changing to true north on your iPhone compass should change Onx as well since it uses your phone's internal compass.

If this doesn't work out I'll just ditch magnets and get a Kuiu or Stone Glacier.

BTW I know marsupial makes a no-mag but I feel that the elastic bands would be getting caught on stuff I keep in the side pockets.

Thanks

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Marsupial no-mag version and I have not had any problems so far but to be fair I have only used it a couple of times.

The other set up I use is a HPG kit bag with their bino pocket added. I like it also but the Marsupial is a bit smoother & faster to deploy the binos-to me at least.

Awesome. Yeah I’m looking to get the magnetic version soon. Just wanted to make the right choice before spending the funds. Didn’t want something to mess with my gps. Thanks for the info!

Somebody else in a thread like this said that the iPhone using OnX is not affected by the magnets in the marsupial mag pouch.

I just got my marsupial mag bino pouch last Nov and I have not seen my iPhone using OnX being affected.

Maybe because I store my iPhone in the back pouch and then hold it out in front of me away from the pouch when I’m looking at OnX !? Not sure but my iPhone and OnX work fine when I’m wearing my bino harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. I didn’t want to have any issues out there. I use OnX as well. Thanks for the good news haha.

I had the mag and ended up getting the non-mag. The magnetic one interfered with my navigation so bad on onx it was annoying. I have an iPhone 8. I like the non-mag so far although I haven’t hunted with it yet. I put a wind checker in the side pocket and the elastic band does catch on it but with a little more force it will go over it.

Yeah, that’s the only negative I hear about the non mag ones. They seem to get caught on things on the side pockets. Dang. So still some have issues and some don’t with the mag harness.