Marmot Tungsten 1P tent mini-review

I've been searching for a practical, affordable one-person tent for about the past year. This is where I finally arrived. This tent went on sale recently at Backcountry for $125 and I jumped on it.

After setting it up at home to get familiar with it, I took it out yesterday for it's maiden voyage.

It sets up very easily, just like every video review said (and there are lots of video reviews on this tent). Actual trail weight is closer to 4 lbs. than the advertised 3 lbs. 8 oz. That might be the weight without the footprint and bag? But it's still under 4 for all practical purposes.

I'm 6'4" and my concern was being able to sit up in the tent without having my head hit the top. I was very pleased to discover that I can do that in this tent with no problems. I wouldn't want to be much taller, but I fit fine in this thing. My camping pad is 25" x 78" and it fits with a few inches to spare on each side.

The vestibule area is quite large once it's all staked out. I have grown very fond of my Alps Chaos 3 over the years. It's been all over the place with me. This is basically 1/2 of that tent, which was what I was after. Plenty of room to cook under the vestibule if I needed to. Not sure there's enough room for my pack AND still room to cook, but I suspect I could make it work if I needed to.

Supplied stakes are good quality heavy aluminum. They provide guy-out lines and tensioners, but I didn't use them for this trip.

I was afraid the tent would feel claustrophobic but it's actually fine. I'm really looking forward to putting some miles and nights on this one. I can see it getting a lot of use.

If you're on the fence about this model, I can say buy with confidence. It's a very good deal and is plenty big enough for a guy my height.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    404.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG