Managing stress by getting out!

For many of us strapping on a backpack and venturing into the wilderness is as much about managing stress as it is about pursuing fish and game. It's our escapism from the daily weight of responsibilities, obligations, emotional upsets and a good way to clear our heads. But when you cannot hit the trail...what things do you do to provide a balance, activities that help you become centered and get back to zero? I sometimes shoot my bow or go for a motorcycle ride but lately have discovered a new, surprisingly rewarding activity you might also enjoy.

I joined the Patriot Guard Riders, it's a group of people who turn out in numbers to honor those who have fallen. This not only includes those in the military but first responders as well, They also welcome troops home (a happier occasion). But the organization (which is free to join and accepts everyone) is now suffering from a lack of participants. The PGR was started by Vietnam vets who wanted to make sure no soldiers ever returned to the U.S. only to be mistreated (as they were) and to provide a barrier between grieving family members burying their dead and protesters using the funeral as a stage for their agenda. A lot of PGR members are well over 60 years old and their numbers are shrinking as these vets pass.

I can guarantee you something about participating in a PGR mission...you will forget all about your problems and worries and realize they are minute compared to what others are enduring. And you will not find a better class of people on the planet...these folks are wonderful with amazing stories.

So if you ever decide you want to do something tangible to support those who serve...here's an activity you may not have considered that will fill your heart with appreciation and cleanse your head of whatever is weighing on it. You don't need to ride a motorcycle...PGR also needs people in cars and trucks and to carry the flags used in their flag lines.
i urge anyone who gives a fig about those who serve to attend one PGR mission...see for yourself what the group is about. You won't regret it. And hey...it works if you're looking for an excuse to go out and buy a bike! LOL
I finally finished getting mine dialed in...flagpoles and all.

Attachments

• flagsmmm.jpg
    flagsmmm.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 31
  • flags.jpg
    flags.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 30

bozeman

WKR
Managing stress is as easy as watching your diet and daily exercise.....never understood how people wont take 30 mins/day for their own health.......

JjamesIII

WKR
Definitely running outside, I don’t know if it’s the breathing and cadence of your footsteps, the environment, or solitude. It’s an escape from social obligations. You are alone in your thoughts, pounding out miles. The pain is a positive thing because it means you are getting something accomplished with your cardio. I know when I’m exhausted at the end of a run that I was honest and didn’t cheat myself, it a sense of accomplishment. I get a stress release for sure.