Make it a point to hunt before MZ season, or?

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. Hopefully headed to SW colorado for the bow season. I've never hunted Colorado yet. I am well aware that it will likely be a s-show. Especially a 0 point unit. Also well aware that all of the residents would prefer that I stay home, lol. Unfortunately the nearest elk are in Pennsylvania and while I put in for it, I don't expect to ever draw a NR tag. Have to hunt where I'm able to hunt.

With that out of the way, I'm curious about something. I'll have 10 days including travel. I don't have the time to drive even though I want to, so flying it is. Don't want to lose all that time behind the wheel.

I'm trying to decide what to do. Originally planned on late in September due to previous commitments in the first week. However with muzzleloader smack in the middle, I am wondering if I should rearrange and head out for the first week? Before they really really get pushed around. Or am I nuts to think it'll even matter?

Other thing is the rut. I imagine things will likely heat up later in September. But I know that's a guess. Get in early, or wait until after MZ? Just figured I would ask everyone else's opinion and maybe it'll help me decide.

Thanks!

ElkNut1

WKR
Colorado is big country! If you plan on hunting where everyone else hunts & the way they hunt then yes your concerns are well validated! If you plan on carving out your own access & not worry about others then pick any dates that work for your schedule!

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about a single MZ hunter, hunt where others don't! Simple & very effective!

ElkNut

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the first week in that area last year. Lots of holiday campers and hikers. Hot with a full moon. Very little movement. I should have gone later in the month but it’s when I had time off.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is big country! If you plan on hunting where everyone else hunts & the way they hunt then yes your concerns are well validated! If you plan on carving out your own access & not worry about others then pick any dates that work for your schedule!

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about a single MZ hunter, hunt where others don't! Simple & very effective!

ElkNut
Hey! Downloaded your app last week. Thank you for doing all you've done for all of us!

Yea, I'm frequently out in this area in the winters either ice climbing, backcountry skiing, or fly fishing. The area I'm planning on hunting is a daunting and super steep area. I've been a climber and mountaineer most of my life so the area I'm looking into excites me rather than scares me. Though a child 3 years ago squashed my climbing career for the time being. I don't plan on hunting the most obvious places. So I am hoping the area won't be loaded with hunters. But I'm honestly expecting it. Even though I don't plan on hunting where everyone else hunts, this is my first time out there hunting so for all I know there are 50 other guys all Looking to hunt the same exact spots. Wont know until (if I get the tag) I go I guess.

Thanks for replying!

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the first week in that area last year. Lots of holiday campers and hikers. Hot with a full moon. Very little movement. I should have gone later in the month but it’s when I had time off.
That's one of the things im concerned about early in the month. The other side of my brain wants to get out there before these places are overrun with other hunters pushing them around. May not be a valid thought. But im picturing and expecting the worst case scenario.

Mind if I send you a PM?

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Go around the third week.You will find elk more easily than the first week even if they will have been pressured a bit.I've run into a lot of guys early season that havent seen an elk in a week of hunting and they are 5 miles back hunting an area where I see elk every day.I think if those same guys were there later in September they couldn't help but run into elk no matter how inexperienced they are.Don't worry about what people say about muzzleloader hunters,there are way more archery hunters and the majority are there the first two weeks in my experience.The elk are always screaming by that third week and the fourth week you are risking having bad weather and getting snow.

cnelk

WKR
Depends on the year - this year there is only 1 week of archery before ML season starts. In 2024, there are 2 weeks of archery before ML season starts.

trdhtr

FNG
As a PA resident with about the same chance of drawing a tag as a NR I also have hit the CO elk woods the last 3 years. Train hard and go when you can as mention above. Enjoy the hunt!!

see how many ML tags are in the draw, we hunted archery a ML season in a zero point (archery) unit and heard one shot in 7 days, mostly locals road hunting

ElkNut1

WKR

CMS829, I've hunted quite a few western states & getting away from most hunters is easily done. Find those small secluded areas in-between trailheads & roads where you carve your own trail. Find these on a good mapping App. Choose 6-8 spots while at home & you'll have great starting points! -- If not locating elk in a couple of days go to the Night Calling section of the App & follow those instructions! You will have your opportunities, it's up to you to cash in on them! Good luck sir!​

Don't know why it's all caps?

ElkNut

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
That's one of the things im concerned about early in the month. The other side of my brain wants to get out there before these places are overrun with other hunters pushing them around. May not be a valid thought. But im picturing and expecting the worst case scenario.

Mind if I send you a PM?
Feel free to PM.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Go around the third week.You will find elk more easily than the first week even if they will have been pressured a bit.I've run into a lot of guys early season that havent seen an elk in a week of hunting and they are 5 miles back hunting an area where I see elk every day.I think if those same guys were there later in September they couldn't help but run into elk no matter how inexperienced they are.Don't worry about what people say about muzzleloader hunters,there are way more archery hunters and the majority are there the first two weeks in my experience.The elk are always screaming by that third week and the fourth week you are risking having bad weather and getting snow.
Kinda what I'm thinking as far as the first weeks. Thanks for the tips!
see how many ML tags are in the draw, we hunted archery a ML season in a zero point (archery) unit and heard one shot in 7 days, mostly locals road hunting
that's a good point. I'll take a look at the MZ tag allocation.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider

CMS829, I've hunted quite a few western states & getting away from most hunters is easily done. Find those small secluded areas in-between trailheads & roads where you carve your own trail. Find these on a good mapping App. Choose 6-8 spots while at home & you'll have great starting points! -- If not locating elk in a couple of days go to the Night Calling section of the App & follow those instructions! You will have your opportunities, it's up to you to cash in on them! Good luck sir!​

Don't know why it's all caps?

ElkNut
Thanks so much for all the help/tips! I do believe I should be able to get away from folks in this unit, but it will likely be some seriously nasty terrain. I'm guessing the elk don't care and the steeper and nastier the better. What I am trying to really figure out is just how high is too high. I presume that's another thing they couldn't care less about. And yea planned to drive around a bit and do some night calling if I'm not finding anything. Honestly the only success I am really looking for is finding elk. Getting a chance to let an arrow fly is something I'm obviously preparing for but, not expecting.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much for all the help/tips! I do believe I should be able to get away from folks in this unit, but it will likely be some seriously nasty terrain. I'm guessing the elk don't care and the steeper and nastier the better. What I am trying to really figure out is just how high is too high. I presume that's another thing they couldn't care less about. And yea planned to drive around a bit and do some night calling if I'm not finding anything. Honestly the only success I am really looking for is finding elk. Getting a chance to let an arrow fly is something I'm obviously preparing for but, not expecting.
Honestly if u you believe you can get away from people in that unit, avoiding mz is irrelevant. Hell in that case I would go during muzzy.. one of the best weeks imo

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly if u you believe you can get away from people in that unit, avoiding mz is irrelevant. Hell in that case I would go during muzzy.. one of the best weeks imo
It's an assumption on my end. Just don't know how nasty of terrain would actually keep the elk from utilizing it. I'm game for near vertical. Obviously elk aren't. Or in that area maybe I'm totally wrong

i wouldn’t be concerned with MZ’s. My guess they have limited number of tags in that unit. Last season i also hunted <1pp archery unit that had some MZs. I ran into 3 or 4 hunters in all my hikin. 1 had a calf down(mostly processed)when i walked up on him but i never even heard a shot.
I was able to find elk every weekend, just didn’t have a shot (25y he ran 60 and dropped) at one till 3rd weekend which was right after Muzzy ended 😂. Given that Muzzy tags are some of the harder to draw as its firearm during the rut, they really dont give out that many most units.