M77 Ruger mountain rifle

FNG
So I thought I would share with you fine gentlemen my latest project. I purchased this ruger new, it has a 20” pencil barrel, chambered for 30-06 and weighed in at 5lbs 10oz bare rifle. Accuracy was not very good off the hop. I found the magazine box was pinched hard as well as the stock touched the barrel almost the whole way down. I started by glass bedding and free floating the stock. I also stabilized the forend. This added some weight to the rifle but I didn’t mind as the recoil was rather stout. I replaced the trigger spring and it made for a beautiful crisp, light pull. Last off I gave it a rattle can paint job with a silhouette of a mountain goat. I was not a fan of the black polymer stock on a blued rifle. Accuracy has improved to about 3/4 moa. Finished weight is 7lbs 10oz. Also on an interesting note, I found a load for 220gr round nose interlocks that was just deadly accurate. My load for up the mountains will be 168gr ttsx on top of 55gr IMR4350. This fall I will be out in search of my 3rd goat. Wish me luck.
B18FC6E9-DB65-4DA9-8605-782926EF5528.jpeg

OP

FNG
What rings are you running i have a m77 id like some rings for
They are just the stock factory rings that come with the rifle. They are steel and I personally believe they will take more abuse than aluminum….. that being said all my other guns have talleys 😂

Rifle turned out very nice!

I found one in .300 Win Mag for my up coming moose hunt. Swapped the plastic stock out for a Boyd’s, added a pic rail and a Vortex scope. Need a Timney trigger and I’ll be all set! Would like to get a detachable magazine bottom metal but that’s a lot for nothing.

41d712e5e922e538fcb079195b54a1c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
@RockinRam96. What's your opinion of the Spike Camp? Does the recoil seem better or worse compared to the factory plastic? Thanks.

I absolutely love it. I have this stock on 2 of my rifles.I am a short guy with short arms so length of pull is perfect. It is a little heavier than the factory plastic stock but in my mind is worth it. Recoil is much more management, thinking because of the weight. My rifle, fully outfitted to hunt, full magazine it weighs in right at 10 lbs. which I don’t mind.

BLJ

WKR
Thanks. I’ve looked at them before and wondered how they were for the price. It sounds like a good option.
Have you had good luck with the Weig-a-tinny rail? I’m putting one on my 7 mag. Has it held up okay on the 300?

In my mind the stocks are great for what they are. Adds some real nice class to the rifle for cheap. I am not looking to shoot the same hole at a 1,000 yards either. Good enough to kill a deer is all I need. The stock for my Savage dropped right in. The stock for my Ruger needed a little sanding of the barrel channel to fit correctly. Nothing that wasn’t easily addressed.

No problem with the Weig-a-tinny rail. Installed it as they recommend, torqued as recommended, checked after 100 rounds and was still tight. No issues loading the magazine either.

I bought lower height rings (0.85”) to compensate for the rail. With the cheek weld on the stock, rail and rings the eye piece was at the perfect height.

Trial153

WKR
Link to buy that stock? I have same rifle in a 257 Roberts that would go great on it…

Thanks in advance

Link to buy that stock? I have same rifle in a 257 Roberts that would go great on it…

Thanks in advance

It is a Boyd’s Hardwood Gunstock. It held up real well. I was a little nervous hiking through the bush in Newfoundland it would get all scratched to hell. I don’t believe there is one mark in it. Very happy with this stock!

I just bought an original m77 tang from a guy at work chambered in 7 mag, looking for an aftermarket stock myself!