Lower country/BLM type country muley tactics

rjID

FNG
Hey all. I'm interested to hear of tactics from guys hunting lower sagebrush country. For example BLM country that can be miles of sagebrush and is often inhabited by cattle but also borders ag land. I have hunted this country in my home state for a number of years now with some success but it seems there is very little info out there on non-mountain lower country mule deer hunts. My hunting is mostly archery due to opportunity. Would love to hear of peoples experience and success on these types of hunts. For example, scouting (are the deer patternable?), finding mature bucks pre-season (are people usually finding them on ag fields or in sagebrush or a combo?), if mature bucks are found do they stay in a general area or move around as different crops mature etc.? Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks in advance.

I hunt quite a bit of sagebrush/Pinon Juniper country with ag land in the river bottoms. I would say the individual deer aren't really patternable but some of their movement can be predicted. Feed and water down in the farmers fields at night and then move up into the sage/juniper country to bed down during the day. Look for bedded deer in the heaviest cover available with the most shade.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
If you are able to avoid the ag fields they pattern easier, especially when it's hot. I find the antelope to find the water. Once water is located look for deep draws with wyoming big sage. Hardest deer to hunt without a doubt. Arguably the biggest bucks in my state.

OP
R

rjID

FNG
Some really great points! I appreciate the input. Would like to hear some more thoughts and approaches guys are using.

Rich M

WKR
We hunted 2019 CO and the deer were using 2 pieces of public sage surrounding ag land.

We had access to the ag but may have been able to get the bigger buck off one of the public pieces. Saw him go there 2x and come from there 1x. He came from elsewhere the day we got him. He was gonna go there a 2nd time but got shot.

Go and glass early and late. Look near the feed, work backwards, kill you a deer.

They dont like vehicles where they are going. We coulda got 1 or 2 off public if we didnt park in front of it too. If i ever go back, will park a mile down the road at other public and either bike or walk to where the deer are using.

Last edited:
Hey all. I'm interested to hear of tactics from guys hunting lower sagebrush country. For example BLM country that can be miles of sagebrush and is often inhabited by cattle but also borders ag land. I have hunted this country in my home state for a number of years now with some success but it seems there is very little info out there on non-mountain lower country mule deer hunts. My hunting is mostly archery due to opportunity. Would love to hear of peoples experience and success on these types of hunts. For example, scouting (are the deer patternable?), finding mature bucks pre-season (are people usually finding them on ag fields or in sagebrush or a combo?), if mature bucks are found do they stay in a general area or move around as different crops mature etc.? Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks in advance.
I was about to post this same question. Thanks rjlD

Rich M

WKR
They will adjust as crops are harvested. Think about corn - the animals bed in the corn, when it is harvested, no more bedding cover...no more easy food.

I hunt a ton of this kind of stuff where I live. I always find bucks a half-mile to a mile up in the sagebrush above the ag they hit at night. It just takes a deer a couple of minutes to get to and from feed from that distance.

My area has smaller ag fields that are all hay - alfalfa, timothy, etc, - so I can't speak for areas with more varieties of crops. Also, the habitat around the hay meadows is generally steep, rocky, and a sprinkling of cedars, so they can be 1000+ feet and a mile away from the ag and not even look connected, but if you go out on a full moon they'll be out there feeding at night.

We have good luck finding the same bucks in the same vicinity from late-July until mid-October for the low country ag deer.

I'll add one more tip. Once you find the types of habitat they like to bed in, glass it, all day long, and repeat. I've found more stalking opportunities while most guys are napping at camp than early or late in the day. Just put the binos on a tripod, find some shade (truck shadow many times) and pick country apart. You'll be amazed at how many bedded deer you'll find, and also how often unseen deer stand up to change beds through the day. Once they do, you got them and there are no other hunters around to mess up your stalk.

Just remember when glassing for bedded bucks youre not looking for a deer. Your looking for movement, straight lines, dark objects, antler tips, ears, etc.

pull the high power glass out and pick it apart one frame at a time. Don’t overlook the country right next to roads. The biggest buck I hunted recently lived on a sage flat within a half mile of a road. They will lay down and watch trucks drive by all day.

OP
R

rjID

FNG
Love the input. I have used some of these methods but its great to have some new ideas and some confirmation on some of the approaches I’ve used in the past. My season is open now so its time to put it to practice!

TaperPin

WKR
Even in areas that traditionally have a low number of old deer I don’t look for easy to hunt spots everyone else is hunting, but rather someplace a shy deer can grow old. The bucks anyone can see driving by on a country road don’t live long. Maybe it’s a patch of extra thick sage off the beaten path, or a draw that’s difficult to access.

Don't overlook ditches, Just a small grown up ditch might be where is bedded or travelling through. Also, be prepared to walk a good ways just to glass a small section and then move again.

. Also, be prepared to walk a good ways just to glass a small section and then move again.
This is good advice, and could be added to my advice above regarding glassing mid day. Sometimes moving often and only moving 50 yards can allow you to see behind a bush or tree that you couldn't before. Many times I've picked apart a bedding area, have not seen a thing, and move a short distance and now there is a deer visible.