Lowa Vantage GTX for Hunting

Stwrt9

WKR
I'm looking for a new pair of Boots for next years elk hunt and was wondering if anyone has used Lowa Vantage GTX boots? or if i should get something a bit stiffer like the Lowa Tibets, Cabelas Meindl Denali. Also leaning towards Salomon Quest 4D GTX... Any imput would be appreciated.

Iron Mike

FNG
Stwrt9
I do not know anything about the Vantage GTX but I have the Tibets and love em. I put over 200 miles on them this year. They really shined when I had weight sitting on top of them. I packed (or helped pack) 4 elk and 1 deer. Two of the elk were in 5 miles. I know the other two you mentioned have good reviews but I have no experience with them. It all depends on what you plan on doing with them and your expectations. I have an older pair of Danner pronghorns that are way comfy but there is no way I would put 70 lbs and up in a pack and and have them on my feet for very far!

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
Iron Mike
i appreciate the imput i do think i would really like the Tibets. i'm worried about versitility going from September through November. While i think they would be great for November, what about September? Will they be too hot?

Iron Mike

FNG
Well to put that to bed I bow hunt for Elk here in Oregon late August to the end of September - I have not had an issue with them being to warm yet. I know other folks that bow hunt early season with them also. I wear a good merino sock with a liner sock. I also Chukar hunt all the way into late January in the snow/cold. I add a slightly thicker sock and have no problems. When hunting Chukar's I am constantly moving though - spot and stalk hunting in the cold I think I would need more insulation. Fit is going to be your best friend. It seems like the higher end boots fit some like a glove where others hate them. Hopefully you can try on different pairs. Shoebuy.com is a great place to buy and has a great return policy. They are always having 20% off sales.

Last edited:
OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
thanks i really appreciate the info. i'll probably be giving the tibet's a try.

The Tibets will be stiffer than the Vantage. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of. They have different shank designs as one is a trekking boot and one is a backpacking boot.

I just bought a pair of Rangers. I also looked at the Vantage, but prefer a leather boot instead of nylon and such. I really like them.

In the end, it will just depend on how stiff of a boot you like and want.

Edit: As far as insulation, I just got back from Montana where I wore my uninsulated Rangers. At temps of 15 and below (deep snow), my feet would get cold during extended glassing sessions. Moving around, my feet were fine.

The leather lined boots will be cooler in archery season, but are not as waterproof.

Last edited: