Low power binos

Lots of great points about low-power binos. The problem is an "alpha quality" sub-7X doesn't exist, which is sad, because 6X and 6.5X in many ways trumps 8X and 10X for hunting. The Maven 6X30s are good, but FOV was too lacking. That's why I don't own them. If Swaro offered an NL Pure in 6X24, it would rock the industry. Until then, I'll stick to using my 8x32 Els. The closest yet to an alpha compact (maybe midsize) is Leica's 7x35 Trinovid, but I have no personal experience with it.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Kowa 6.5 BDIIs and think they are excellent.

Used them for bird and animal spotting and the lower magnification and wide FOV makes them excellent to use at close distances. The are really small and compact with makes them easy to carry in a jacket pocket and they are very lightweight.

Would definitely recommend them.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I love my maven b3 8x30, when y’all are talking about the lack of fov, are you talking about the B3 as a whole or just the 6x?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of great points about low-power binos. The problem is an "alpha quality" sub-7X doesn't exist, which is sad, because 6X and 6.5X in many ways trumps 8X and 10X for hunting. The Maven 6X30s are good, but FOV was too lacking. That's why I don't own them. If Swaro offered an NL Pure in 6X24, it would rock the industry. Until then, I'll stick to using my 8x32 Els. The closest yet to an alpha compact (maybe midsize) is Leica's 7x35 Trinovid, but I have no personal experience with it.
This is what I ran into. I been using my 8.5-42 ELs for many years. I decided to try a pair of lower power binos for a hunt in big timber. I was thinking lighter and smaller package. It didn't work out for me. I went back to my ELs the next year. I guess even in the thick stuff I never felt my 8.5 ELs handicapped me.

I love my maven b3 8x30, when y’all are talking about the lack of fov, are you talking about the B3 as a whole or just the 6x?

We were only knocking the Maven 6x30 B3. The Maven 8x30s are excellent in every respect, including FOV. In my experience, they're close to alpha-level. Optically speaking, the 6x30s are too, but their apparent field of view is small enough to be distracting. AFOV is a weird phenomenon that must be seen to be understood, but it's a very real thing.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Thanks for clarifying. The b3 8x30 is my blanket recommendation for 8 power whitetail binos, I don’t know if I’ve used anything else I prefer for anywhere close to that price. This thread makes me want to try some 6 kowas.