Low poundage for elk

Duuane

FNG
I know that there is no absolute answer for this question, but some informed opinions would be appreciated. Due to cancer surgery on his neck and shoulder area several years ago, my buddy had to switch from being a righthand shooter, to being a lefthand shooter. It also required him to reduce his draw weight significantly. Not being a forum guy, he asked if I would pose the question. He would like to hunt elk with his bow. He will be shooting 48-50 pounds maximum weight, with an arrow of 425 total grains, and a fixed blade broadhead. He can shoot accurately and practices out to 60 yards. Based on best case scenario, a full broadside, non-alert, non-moving elk, and he makes a good shot, what would be a suggested, ethical maximum distance shot to be as certain as one can be to result in a clean kill with that arrow and poundage setup? He has been very successful killing whitetail deer at less than 40 yards, which is his self-imposed distance limit. Again, I know that the answer can be subjective, but he has never hunted elk with a bow and was hoping for opinions from those who have. Thank you in advance!!

He shouldn’t have a problem. My wife shoots a 50 pound bow at 28” with a 400 grain arrow. The last bull she killed she got a complete pass through on a quartered away shot while using a slicktrick standard. He should be fine out to 40-50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say out to 50 yards he would be completely fine. That is still a good amount of draw weight and a decent arrow weight for his poundage. I don't know what fixed blade broadheads he shoots. But his best bet for broadheads would probably be something like an Iron Will solid or an Magnus Stinger. I would just recommend having a cut on contact 2 blade with bleeders. Those bleeders really help open up the wound channel. I wouldn't shoot a 2 blade with no bleeders.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it, and so will he.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he puts the arrow in the boiler room he will be fine…..yardage limit would be simply a guess closer the better for sure….good luck to him🤙

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
I know that there is no absolute answer for this question, but some informed opinions would be appreciated. Due to cancer surgery on his neck and shoulder area several years ago, my buddy had to switch from being a righthand shooter, to being a lefthand shooter. It also required him to reduce his draw weight significantly. Not being a forum guy, he asked if I would pose the question. He would like to hunt elk with his bow. He will be shooting 48-50 pounds maximum weight, with an arrow of 425 total grains, and a fixed blade broadhead. He can shoot accurately and practices out to 60 yards. Based on best case scenario, a full broadside, non-alert, non-moving elk, and he makes a good shot, what would be a suggested, ethical maximum distance shot to be as certain as one can be to result in a clean kill with that arrow and poundage setup? He has been very successful killing whitetail deer at less than 40 yards, which is his self-imposed distance limit. Again, I know that the answer can be subjective, but he has never hunted elk with a bow and was hoping for opinions from those who have. Thank you in advance!!
the DL and the draw cycle also needs to be taken into account, e.g. for a DL =29, 45 pounds and a "modern" bow (peak weight nearly all way long to the valley) you would achieve a momentum of approx. 0.45 pounds*lbs with this setup ..., which is surely enough for killing elk sized game...

I know a few recurve guys who shoot 45ish at elk and have no issues. I'm sure a 50ish compound would be absolutely fine. I also shot a 60# bow dialed down to 55# for a few years and never had any issues with it. Now I shoot a 70# bow, but I think my next one will be a 60#...I'm usually a more is better guy, but at the same time if 50# is all a body will allow it will be fine.

I’d shoot a 450-550 grain arrow with a heavy two blade broadhead, and probably inside of 35-40. That’s a trad bow weight, trad bow speed, at trad bow range.

Nothing special, and not particularly flat shooting, but you know it will work.

I agree with others. 50 lbs will be fine for elk to 40 yds or so. That’s actually the minimum legal poundage to hunt elk in WY.

dtrkyman

WKR
10 grains per lb. of draw weight is a good weight for penetration and still have decent trajectory.

425 will do fine but he may want to play with a little extra weight.

Scoot

WKR
I agree with others. 50 lbs will be fine for elk to 40 yds or so. That’s actually the minimum legal poundage to hunt elk in WY.
He'll be fine! Make sure he's at the legal minimum though.

Personally, I'd limit to 40 yards. Put it where he should and it'll turn out well.

manitou1

WKR
I have a buddy I used to shoot traditional competitions with. (he actually placed #1 at the Traditional Worlds a few years back). He hunts with a 41 lb longbow and has killed elk, bison, bear, and a truckload of deer and wild hogs with that poundage out of a trad bow.
The old adage: put it in the boiler room and use a sharp broadhead" holds true.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am referring to lower energy bows, forget trajectory and use your range finder. My bow at 60lbs is hardly a rainbow when I played with a 600 grain arrow, 700 grains that is a bit of an arc!

sneaky

"DADDY"
So you suggest a 700 grain arrow for a guy drawing 70lbs??

425 will be just fine OP.
For a guy pulling 50lbs it's good advice, because he needs more momentum because speed isn't his friend. It'll be quiet and he'll get good penetration with the heavier arrow, especially if he hits bone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a buddy I used to shoot traditional competitions with. (he actually placed #1 at the Traditional Worlds a few years back). He hunts with a 41 lb longbow and has killed elk, bison, bear, and a truckload of deer and wild hogs with that poundage out of a trad bow.
The old adage: put it in the boiler room and use a sharp broadhead" holds true.
You talking about Rod? I know he shoots everything at 41lbs

sneaky

"DADDY"
worse yet, 600 grains out of 60# Talk about rainbow!
Talk about quiet. Talk about penetration. Talk about maximizing efficiency of energy transfer. A modern compound isn't going to rainbow a heavy arrow nearly as bad as you think. Lots of advantages to shooting heavier setups, trad guys have been doing it for eons.