Low medium or high scope rings

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a christense n arms Mesa in 300 win mag, it is built with the Standard Remington 700 optics base. and I also purchased the Leopold vx6 in 3-18x44 and I was wondering what height scope rings and also what brand scope rings to get and what style. Any info would be awesome. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello cambo...check out my response to your original thread which was moved under the optics section. I have a Rem 700 300 Win Mag, Talley Low leightweight rings, and Leupold VX6 3-18x44. It's as tight as you can go but fits on my rifle.

Your gunsmith should help you get fitted.
Shoulder your unloaded rifle, close your eyes, get a good natural feeling cheek weld, open your eyes. Where is the scope height in relation to your eye? Does it need to go up or down? Forward or rear?

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Low as you can get for your tube size.
Cheek weld can be problematic with nonadjustable cheek piece with tall rings.
Rifle looks to have a fairly slim tapered barrel so scope interference shouldn't be much of a concern.
I use Seekins rings on all of my rifles.

R

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
What DenverCountryBoy said--this is the correct method. The purpose of different ring heights is to fit your body to the scope and rifle. The old advice of "as low as you can get" sometimes works but often puts the scope too low for a natural shooting position.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
DCB words it well.
I would like to add ring height and length of pull should both be considered when buying/building/setting up a rifle. If you’ve got a long neck consider tall rings. Same thing with stubby arms you may wamt lower. I used to hunt with a full size guy who looked like T-Rex with his cartoonish penguin arms. He had the lop cut down on all of his guns.
I’m a leupold ring fan. They work well. Just get good ones whichever brand you choose. I will try Talley some day. It amazes me at gun shop when guys say “....eh whatever you got back there”. I did this myself for years without knowing better. $300 glass and $24 rings and bases.