low level light therapy and laser therapy?

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
About 12 years ago I had really bad reoccurring bursitis in my right knee. It stayed swollen for months. Couldn’t do jiujitsu without making it worse so I was off the mats for a long time.
A friend was finishing up in PT school and used me to practice a couple things in their lab one night and I saw their red light laser in the corner. I went in and used it regularly for a few weeks and it went away and never came back.
Neither he nor I are positive that’s what made it go away though.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I have done some research on this and it seems that there are valid claims of helping skin conditions, tendonitis, help nerve issues, supposed to help heal muscle cells and help mitochondria.

I am probably going to decide in the next few days and if I do it I will try to get a good deal on 4-5 treatments. That should do something or not...will go with the least # of days between treatments they recommend. If I go ahead I will update with the exact type of light treatment and the perceived results.

The way my PT's explained it, it basically uses your own body's response mechanisms by creating heat. It's just a more efficient way of targeting specific areas compared to heat wraps or a hot water soak. I'd like to see a study comparing the differences between the two methods. It did't do anything for my back, but I didn't really expect it to. Nerve ablation took care of it though!

Yoder

WKR
I've had the red light at PT. Seems like voodoo. I didn't notice anything different, but It's worth a try. I would try just about anything to get rid of pain.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
started the photobiomodulation aka 'red light' yesterday. Will do 4 treatments in 10 days and report back on it...I have a pretty sound way that I can tell if they are working.

I also read that it can treat inflammation/issues caused by covid-long covid if I understand that info correctly.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I only read a study about it. And it said:
Low-level laser(light) therapy also known as photobiomodulation (PBMT), Low-intensity light therapy, and cold laser therapy.
It’s used for many purposes like the relief of pain and inflammation, and restoration of function. It’s fast-growing technology. Low-level laser therapy is used for coherent and noncoherent light sources consisting of light-emitting diodes.
The main purpose of LLLT is to reduce inflammation and pain.
For observation, it is observed that LLLT has a wide range of effects at the molecular, cellular, and tissue level.
Although LLLT is now used to treat a wide variety of ailments.
Low-level laser(light) therapy has been found to be effective in numerous medical conditions. It has been observed that this therapeutic solution could relieve short-term pain in acute and chronic solutions.
It was basically just a basic introduction.

jmassart

FNG
Not saying it does not help some people but the overall research on it is poor. If you look at large studies there is no more improvement with it than with a placebo.

Wrogers18

FNG
I needed this kind of therapy before, but it was tough finding a good place for it. That made me think, why not open my therapy clinic? I wanted a place where people could get help, just like I did.

I started researching how to do this and found a super helpful article. It showed me everything I needed, like the unique tables for treatments and the computer programs for keeping track of everything. This article was a big help in understanding how to start a therapy clinic. You can check it out too at https://www.gulfphysio.com/new-physical-therapy-clinic-a-starting-off-checklist/.

Last edited: