Low budget?

To start this off, I know I'm in the land of elite top of the line optics guys here, but the cost of glass that good is just too much for me right now, I also do completely understand that by going with low end I will be sacrificing clarity and light transmission and a lot of other things, but it's a compromise I have to make for now. I'm talking spotters here too, I'm happy with my current binos and rf. So here's the question, I found a vortex nomad, new, for 200 online, there's also the redfield in that price range, and hawke makes a scope around there too, I've never physically held any of them, but have looked through hawke riflescopes and yet outperform their price range immensely, if you were in my shoes, what direction would you go? I have my mind made up that I will be buying a spotter, and have accepted the level of compromise that I am making. I just need the extra zoom beyond what my binos are capable of for picking out game at extended ranges. Thanks in advance for any input.

To start this off, I know I'm in the land of elite top of the line optics guys here, but the cost of glass that good is just too much for me right now, I also do completely understand that by going with low end I will be sacrificing clarity and light transmission and a lot of other things, but it's a compromise I have to make for now. I'm talking spotters here too, I'm happy with my current binos and rf. So here's the question, I found a vortex nomad, new, for 200 online, there's also the redfield in that price range, and hawke makes a scope around there too, I've never physically held any of them, but have looked through hawke riflescopes and yet outperform their price range immensely, if you were in my shoes, what direction would you go? I have my mind made up that I will be buying a spotter, and have accepted the level of compromise that I am making. I just need the extra zoom beyond what my binos are capable of for picking out game at extended ranges. Thanks in advance for any input.
for that price range i think the nomad is at the top however i think you might be better served with something such as a minox md50...

ScottP

WKR
I went with the nomad as my entry to the spotting scope world. also got a great deal on it. I really like it and its very lightweight, although I haven't compared it against my friends viper HD. Nor do I want to. Ignorance is bliss...

Haven't had it for a hunting season yet, but in my limited use in hiking/shed hunting (I live in elk wintering range) you'll do better spotting animals with this value spotter compared to a nice set of 8x binos (we have some REALLY nice binos too). Right now I don't feel like I made a bad decision by going the value route on the spotter, as most of my hunting thus far hasn't dictated the need for a lot of scope use. Only time will tell. The one thing I do notice is the loss of light at high magnification. Its a 20-60x, and really performs best at 20-40x. 60x is for when you have excellent lighting conditions (not usually when I'm looking at stuff).

I can't say anything on the other brands. Hope this helps some.

I have a Nomad and Minox MD50 for sale. Both are in awesome condition as good as new. If your interested let me know.

Personally from using both I would probably rather have the Minox for how I hunt. Which is out of pack in the backcountry or long day hikes not to offten out of an ATV or truck so I want compact and light. I didnt find the nomad to be better enough to make it worth packing over the little Minox. Both scopes are great options for the price and out perform their price range in my opnion... The above statement is very accurate in my opnion about the light and magnifaction. The nomad is best at about 22x which I found to be the same with the minox. Hence I liked it more for my style of hunting in a side by side with the Nomad.

If your interested in either I can send you some pics. The nomad is my right hand hunting buddies and the Minox is mine... but we are both selling them to help fund an upgrade to the viper 65s. Both are well taken care of, one season and in great shape.

my experience with the nomad was similar as above. good value. tough. but for me, seemed useless at higher magnification, hence my comment about just going with a minox. might as well have been a 20-30x60...

OP
S
Okay, so it sounds like my thoughts are confirmed, I had a feeling the nomad was the best option. The md and nomad both look good. Jquarnberg, how much are you wanting form them? The only dealers that have nomads in stock are on clearance, so I'm afraid by payday in a few weeks when I can afford it, they will all be sold out so I'm definitely interested in possibly buying from you, it never hurts to help out a fellow hunter either. 😎

He would do the nomad with the vortex tripod for $250TYD. Its the high country tripod. Or the scope alone for $200TYD. Its the angled scope.

I would do the minox MD 50 for $200TYD. Its the straight.

Both scopes are like new in orginal boxes with cases and all the eyecups. Let me knwo if your interested or make an offer if my prices are off.

OP
S
Those prices both sound really reasonable, the Nomad is a killer deal though, especially with the tripod included. Is there anything negative about that tripod that makes him want to sell it? Also, I would definitely like to see pictures of both spotters and the tripod, I'm interested for sure and it's looking like I will have approval from the my girl to spend the money on it. Haha.

Good luck on the approval. No the tripod is in very good shape and works well for an affordable backpack setup with the nomad. He is selling it because I have had the summit ss tripod which we liked better and he is just wanting to get that tripod as well when he gets the new scope. I told him to get on here and post some pics. I have pics of the minox I can post as well.

I posted pics of the Minox MD under the classifieds section in a WTS post. Check it out if your interested in the Minox. Thanks.