Loving my new Hoyt!

Ordered a Pro Defiant 34, got it all tuned up and it's shooting well. I thought I was pulling 70#, and it felt really smooth...however couldn't get my arrows to tune. Took it to the bow shop, turns out I'm just over 75#. Oh well, I thought it was a smooth 70#'er but I'll take it!

It's shooting 510 gr arrows somewhere north of 286 (what I chronoed my 525 grain arrows at, haven't tried the lighter ones) and is shooting very well. Sight tape is on the way.

I'll get some pics up this afternoon.

Buckskin riser, Max 1 limbs. Black Gold 4 pin Ascent, Stokerized stabilizer, matching Tightspot and a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro

OP
Jacob Chapman
I can't wait to get back to Montana, this bow is going to be hell on elk and muleys!

Very fast, I've never shot a bow over 285fps...may need to track down some heavier arrows, but it is still pretty quiet. Not much vibration at the shot either. I think I should have plenty of juice for the hypodermic's i've been shooting, but still have half a doz Solid's and Slick Trick Standards that fly great out of it as well.

You must have a heck of a draw length! I like my Pro Defiant 34 but its not fast by any means. It is very quiet and smooth though.

I just picked up a used Carbon defiant 34 and it feels a little better balanced with my stab setup. Both great bows IMO.

What do you mean arrows wouldn't tune? What was the fix?

Pro Defiant 34 is a sweet bow! Seems to hold solid at full draw! Shoots good! I've found that they hold more steady for me compared to the Carbon Defiant.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I walk back tuned, and adjusted the yokes. The "pro shop" I have access to is a Scheels, and I hardly trust them to screw a field point on, however since I don't have access to a press getting everything dialed in was a little bit of a hassle. I miss my pro shops back in Bozeman, they actually knew what they were doing!

Beendare

WKR
I walk back tuned, and adjusted the yokes. The "pro shop" I have access to is a Scheels, and I hardly trust them to screw a field point on, however since I don't have access to a press getting everything dialed in was a little bit of a hassle. I miss my pro shops back in Bozeman, they actually knew what they were doing!
Well good luck with your new bow...its hard to go wrong with a Hoyt. I broke down and built a press for the parallel limb bows. Its hard to own one without a press or access to one.

Once you get the tuning dialed I bet its even slightly quieter and smoother than it is now- a winner!

OP
Jacob Chapman
Well good luck with your new bow...its hard to go wrong with a Hoyt. I broke down and built a press for the parallel limb bows. Its hard to own one without a press or access to one.

Once you get the tuning dialed I bet its even slightly quieter and smoother than it is now- a winner!

I'm curious as to your process for building your own press!

That would be nice! Honestly it is pretty dang quiet now, but Toelke takedown longbow sounds like a ghost's fart when I shoot it so I'm always judging my other bows to it (unfairly of course)

Beendare

WKR
I'm curious as to your process for building your own press!

That would be nice! Honestly it is pretty dang quiet now, but Toelke takedown longbow sounds like a ghost's fart when I shoot it so I'm always judging my other bows to it (unfairly of course)

Yeah, its tough to go from stickbows to compounds noise wise.

So I followed a thread on AT in the DIY section on making a press by Safari[ something] It has like 200 posts with lots of pics. There are other clever/cheaper ways to do it if you search that forum. Mine consists of the nested square tube from Mcmaster carr. [go with 1"/1 3/4" mine is big 2"]
McMaster-Carr

and then get this;
McMaster-Carr

those are the main components...you can tweak from there. If I can help, give me a shout Jacob.
Mine during
bowpress making.jpg
complete
bowpress1.jpg

Felix40

WKR
I think you got lucky. I havent heard of any defiants shooting quite that fast. Id call that the pick of the litter!