loss of velocity with proven load

@WeiserBucks, or someone else elaborate on barrel abuse? I’m guessing it’s too many consecutive rounds fired while the barrel not having a chance to cool back down. If so, is that based on temp hand feel of the barrel? When shooting a string of 5 during the summer I usually stretch it out over 7-10 minutes. The barrels certainly hot but won’t burn you. I then wait ten minutes before firing again and the barrel feels fine that point. Is it as simple as if the barrel will burn you skin then you have gone too far? Thanks
You're mostly correct in your assessment. Another thing to consider is that large magnums burn substantially more powder per round than much smaller cartridges and will be damaged sooner given an equal firing schedule.

Example, if you take a giant overbore magnum and fire it 10x as fast as you can it'll do more damage than doing the same with a 308.

Is it as simple as if the barrel will burn you skin then you have gone too far?
If you get a barrel that you care about hot enough to burn you, you've gone way to far. As a generalization, if you cant squeeze the barrel with your hand very firmly without it being uncomfortable then its to hot in my opinion.

OP
greyghostnw
@WeiserBucks, or someone else elaborate on barrel abuse? I’m guessing it’s too many consecutive rounds fired while the barrel not having a chance to cool back down. If so, is that based on temp hand feel of the barrel? When shooting a string of 5 during the summer I usually stretch it out over 7-10 minutes. The barrels certainly hot but won’t burn you. I then wait ten minutes before firing again and the barrel feels fine that point. Is it as simple as if the barrel will burn you skin then you have gone too far? Thanks
i have a temp sticker on barrel, i never shoot past 115 degrees. i have a cooling devise i made up to blow air in as well to cool back. staying in a range below 115 helps keep my testing similar, less erratic imop. ive never shot to heat beyond. betting some think its a silly thing but a respected f class champ gave me some of them at range one day years ago and never looked back. makes sense, stay in a range, dont go beyond for uniformity in barrel temp. 3-4 firings usually get the barrel to 115 or so with the load i have for 300 ultra.

OP
greyghostnw
I load for 5 different. 300 Rums and i always shoot through a chrony at the range. My same rounds from same box always shoot a little different from summer to winter close to 50 fps.

If im practicing in Summer for hunting i usually put my shells on ice in a cooler shoot one at a time very slowly. What your describing is not unusual & i wouldn't worryi

OP
greyghostnw
i ended up discovering a few things.. read my notes wrong while back. re checked and had .033 diff since new. i seated out .033 to be back at .020 from touch and tested yesterday. was 3/4 in at 100 yrds witch is poor for this rifle, as well tested same with 3 diff lots of h1000. just as i recall, not much noticable, maybe 10 fps with lots and still slow, around 3018. loaded up 3 at 3 tenths more pow and 3 at 6 tenths more and 3 at nine tenths more with same seating to see how it responds getting back around that 3060, combo, velocity it liked. my original node was 88.2- 88.8 tested at 300 yards 3/4 inch, i test for nodes at 300 because its what i have to work with. thanks for response.

PA Hunter

WKR
You are doing a good copper cleaning I am assuming? I am amazed at how much copper I get and the average shooter rarely pays attention to it. I have allot of great .300 RUM loads love it for moose & Elk.

OP
greyghostnw
I use boretech eliminator first then boretech copper paired with carbon remover till both are gone. Clean action then run a patch with 3-4 drops lock ease, then a patch till its not on patch, inspect with a cam and call it. Dont have a carbon ring either be it i measured my max trim and always uniform off that .024, this weekend will be testing and validating at distance my changes. Hoping all is back. Thanks for reply