Looking to hear successful elk experiences in Weiser unit Idaho.

JT3

FNG
Anyone care to share successful elk hunting experiences in Weiser unit Idaho. Not looking for your spots but rather some positive hunt trips from the unit. Pictures of animals is a plus 💪

I’ll be chasing elk this year in the unit and a little extra hunt motivation never hurts.

Being so close to Boise it will be busy!! I went there once and it was the busiest I'd ever seen in all my years of hunting. Trailers everywhere. Quads etc. If you can figure out where all the crowds are you might find a spot where the game go. I have a buddy that hunts there and they sit a top a peak and wait for the elk to come their way. Eventually with all the traffic they usually do. If you learn to work the crowds you can find success.

I won't hunt there for that reason.

OP
J

JT3

FNG
Being so close to Boise it will be busy!! I went there once and it was the busiest I'd ever seen in all my years of hunting. Trailers everywhere. Quads etc. If you can figure out where all the crowds are you might find a spot where the game go. I have a buddy that hunts there and they sit a top a peak and wait for the elk to come their way. Eventually with all the traffic they usually do. If you learn to work the crowds you can find success.

I won't hunt there for that reason.
That’s what I hear abt the area but unfortunately that was my only elk option this season so it’ll do. With how popular hunting has become it’s hard to avoid crowds in most otc/easy draw tags. I’ll make the best out of it and work my tail off.

I’ve hunted it a few years from out of state. I always have a great time. The first year I hunted with a buddy then the next two years I hunted it solo. It is busy but if you can hunt for a week or two it isn’t bad, especially mid week. Google earth and onyx are your friend if you can’t make trips to scout. But nothing beats getting over there. Had a few missed opportunities at cows and bulls that were a little too far for me to feel comfortable with my bow. Lots of bears over there too if you can manage a spring tag especially. I missed out this year on the tag, and last year I decided to try and hunt the Frank church wilderness, that was an experience I’ll never forget.

Reactions: JT3
OP
J

JT3

FNG
Thank you for the reply! It’s gonna be a great time no matter what and I’m already counting the days down!

H280

FNG
I drew the fall bear tag over there. Wasn’t able to make the time to drive the 6 hours over there with my hounds. Maybe I’ll get a chance to try my hand at spot and stalk before season closes.

I just got back from hunting in unit 22 for elk. I will say it was terrible. We hunted areas that were crowded and areas that had little to no pressure. Most of tye area's were extinct of elk! We hunted both public and private. In 2weeks of hunting we saw one group of elk and three spike bulls. Cut one and only one wolf track. I know the wolves are out there and have impacted the elk,but we should have seen more groups of cows at least. Idaho F and G needs to do a better job at managing. I was told elk numbers were at managing numbers! Is managing numbers less than a 100?

I just got back from hunting in unit 22 for elk. I will say it was terrible. We hunted areas that were crowded and areas that had little to no pressure. Most of tye area's were extinct of elk! We hunted both public and private. In 2weeks of hunting we saw one group of elk and three spike bulls. Cut one and only one wolf track. I know the wolves are out there and have impacted the elk,but we should have seen more groups of cows at least. Idaho F and G needs to do a better job at managing. I was told elk numbers were at managing numbers! Is managing numbers less than a 100?
IFG is managing that herd to what Idaho Farm Bureau tells them. The grazing lease holders decided there were too many in ‘17 and put a hurt on them to get there closer to 3k animals.

FireNelk

FNG
I hunted the unit for the first time this year. Took a few days to find some elk. Killed a spike my last morning. There’s was a bigger bull with the bunch but didn’t get on him. Saw a few branch antler bulls come out as well. Yes lots of hunters but there were spots to get away.

Attachments

• 27AB68C5-81AD-4299-B464-661F1633B873.jpeg
    27AB68C5-81AD-4299-B464-661F1633B873.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 79
It is pretty sad what has been done to unit 22. The extremely liberal cow tags have definitely hammered it down to a shadow of what it should be.

Add the wolves to the mix and elk don'have a chance. I'm a cow man and these ranchers made a big mistake. Less elk means wolves will be hunting beef cows.

This next year will be a new season setting year. I hope they nix the otc cow tags for the first week of deer season. I think the winter population counts are skewed due to elk coming out of a couple of the McCall zones to winter in the Weiser zone.