Looking for the Right Tripod Set-up

Hello All,

I am looking for a small compact tripod that I can use for both glassing and shooting from. I can't seem to find the perfect one for both. either works great for glassing but not for shooting (too heavy and bulky) or great for shooting but not for glassing (won't fit a spotting scope). If anyone has a set-up that they use, I would like to know what you have. I am sure I am NOT the only one here looking for a great set-up to use in the back country. thanks for any insite you can provide. :D

orkan

FNG
RRS tfct-34 anvil 30 (33 legs are nice too... they just don't get as small for packing)

For glassing, you can grab a mini-fluid head from smallrig and clamp it on the anvil 30. Fluid heads are the best in the world for glassing, but the anvil 30 is the best for shooting off of.

akGjA5Zh.jpg

OP
Mountainman007
OMG!! Those are $$$$!! :eek::eek: I do have the smallrig fluid head though. I really love it!!

Now if only I can find a tripod in that price range... Hehehe all seriousness, hoping there is a cheaper more versatile tripod out there that won't break the bank. I am not looking to purchase a very expensive tripod. somewhere in the 500.00 price range.

ID_Matt

WKR
OMG!! Those are $$$$!! :eek::eek: I do have the smallrig fluid head though. I really love it!!

Now if only I can find a tripod in that price range... Hehehe all seriousness, hoping there is a cheaper more versatile tripod out there that won't break the bank. I am not looking to purchase a very expensive tripod. somewhere in the 500.00 price range.

This is a good thread with some info for you. My post #211 is a sub $500 option that I have been happy with for shooting and glassing.

Outdoorsman tripods can be used for both and I highly recommend them. Great company and quality products !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mountainman007
This is a good thread with some info for you. My post #211 is a sub $500 option that I have been happy with for shooting and glassing.
Wow that was a great Thread! Thank you, Quick question, your tripod, is it a model SA or a LS?

if its a LS model, to make it lighter could I go with the 284c? I do not shoot standing and I do not glass standing. or will I I loss my stability going with a thiner leg? What does the MA-30L head Weigh? trying stay under the 3LB mark if I can. Thanks for any info you can give me.

ID_Matt

WKR
Wow that was a great Thread! Thank you, Quick question, your tripod, is it a model SA or a LS?

if its a LS model, to make it lighter could I go with the 284c? I do not shoot standing and I do not glass standing. or will I I loss my stability going with a thiner leg? What does the MA-30L head Weigh? trying stay under the 3LB mark if I can. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Mine is an SA. You could go with the 284C but I think it was only half a pound lighter or something and I would bet loses a bit of stability.

This is what I bought. Add Arca Rail to rifle and go to town. If you end up shooting from a tripod alot, then you csn upgrade to the equipment thats best. This setup is really stable(almost as stable as prone when standing). Light enough to carry in and you can clip your pack underneath to it to make even more stable once setup.

Not a sniper or tripod shooting expert, but I am a land surveyor who uses heavy duty tripods daily and can at least vouch for stability in a setup.

I found this setup recommended in a another thread about tripods and gave it a whirl. Super happy with it.

Leofoto 324C Kit

atmat

WKR
I have a Slik 634 I pair with Wiser precision pan head that handles my 65mm spotter great.

I use a cheapo shooting V on arca-swiss plate for shooting. It’s stable enough at seated heights at reasonable distances if I can’t get prone and shoot off my pack.

This is what I bought. Add Arca Rail to rifle and go to town. If you end up shooting from a tripod alot, then you csn upgrade to the equipment thats best. This setup is really stable(almost as stable as prone when standing). Light enough to carry in and you can clip your pack underneath to it to make even more stable once setup.

Not a sniper or tripod shooting expert, but I am a land surveyor who uses heavy duty tripods daily and can at least vouch for stability in a setup.

I found this setup recommended in a another thread about tripods and gave it a whirl. Super happy with it.

Leofoto 324C Kit

I use the Lefoto for glassing and shooting. It has worked well for me, and its really not too heavy. They are solid, and you can get some titanium "claw" feet for them that really stick to the ground. I've noticed that the Leopold and Revic tripods look suspiciously a lot like the Lefoto ones.

atmat

WKR
I use the Lefoto for glassing and shooting. It has worked well for me, and its really not too heavy. They are solid, and you can get some titanium "claw" feet for them that really stick to the ground. I've noticed that the Leopold and Revic tripods look suspiciously a lot like the Lefoto ones.
The Leupold are the same as Leofoto with a 2x markup.

Clrems77

WKR
Manfrotto carbon ($250) with a cheap Amazon glassing head ($30) and arca rail is what I use. It weighs under 5lbs total and holds my Swaro 12’s with an outdoorsman stud. Super sold set up with my 11lb rifle, easy enough to shoot distance with. It’s taken two elk in the past two years between 350-475 yards.

From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Sirui VA-5) mounted to a full length center column (RRS Ascend 14L). Combined with carrying a RRS Anvil 30 (with bolt, washer and allen wrench) on my pack’s waist belt (Marsupial Gear 'small zippered pouch' ....works great).

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and attach the Anvil 30, using the bolt and washer. This can be done in under a minute.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle. An example would be....throwing an Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer (filled with Git-Lite fill) over the top of your panning head and then you'd still be able to shoot off your tripod.

An example of all of this coming together, played out on this years' moose hunt. We glassed from a ridge, using the panning head, for 5 days before we found a bull we wanted to kill. Before the stalk began.....I swapped the center column for the Anvil 30. During the stalk, which lasted about an hour, we relocated/kept tabs on the bull using a pair of 12x binos mounted to the Anvil 30. Because my spotting scope plates and binocular adapters are Arca-Swiss compatible....it's easy to go back and forth with different head types. Once we got within range of the bull...the rifle was direct connected to the tripod.

We were in waist -to- shoulder height brush, the entire stalk, once we left the ridge top.

If I have to choose between carrying the extra weight of an Anvil 30 or a bipod.....there's no doubt it'll be the Anvil 30.

I would've hated glassing all day, for 5 days straight, with the Anvil 30 and wouldn't have wanted to shoot off the Sirui pan head when given an opportunity at a bull. Honestly, swapping back and forth between heads is no big deal.View attachment 348398
reposting my perspective from another thread.

BigVick04

FNG
Pretty sure they are rebrands, their fluid head is definitely a Leofoto bv-5 with an orange pan ring.