Looking for Texas Barbary sheep recommendations.

S-3 ranch

WKR
We have them wild on our place outside of Kerrville. They aren't B&C Trophy size but they are fun to stalk in the canyon and they need to go as they trash the place. I was stepping out of the blind this weekend while whitetail hunting to take a crap and I happened upon this guy within 130 yds. I only had my 300BLK SBR in hand incase I came up on some pigs or javelina so I had to creep within 100yds and take the shot. The bullet bounced off of his spine and traveled down and out through his shoulder. I didn't expect it to work well but it got the job done. He only measured 24" but he had a decent body and chaps. It'll make for a decent Euro mount in the cabin. I am looking forward to taking some of the bigger ones out there in the years to come but I'd definitely like to get out west and shoot a 30+ soon.

hmXNs5j.jpg

isXJJJM.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg
These rams are a nuisance invasive species and I am seeing folks selling hunts
around junction , they will ruin a ranch if you have a deer program 13C50459-21E4-4133-91C6-ABFD214F6C6A.jpeg

If they wanted them dead, the guide would have let me take a Ewe. I did get a Ram later on, but I was sighted in on a Ewe before taking my Ram. The guide was all pissy.

S-3 ranch

WKR
If they wanted them dead, the guide would have let me take a Ewe. I did get a Ram later on, but I was sighted in on a Ewe before taking my Ram. The guide was all pissy.
Back before they became a source of income for ranchers
we shot ewes, rams , everything to keep them from tearing down fences and creep feeders
now days lots of hunters will pay $$$ for a big ol’ ewe and skull mount / europe
them , follow the money

Last edited:
Back before they became a source of income for ranchers
we shot ewes, rams , everything to keep them from tearing down fences and creep feeders
now days lots of hunters will pay $$$ for a big ol’ ewe and skull mount / europe
them , follow the money
If only the ranchers and state bios for state land in BHS areas of the Trans-Pecos would exterminate all aoudad and focus on habitat for native sheep. One would think there would be more money to be made doing that than with invasive sheep.

S-3 ranch

WKR
If only the ranchers and state bios for state land in BHS areas of the Trans-Pecos would exterminate all aoudad and focus on habitat for native sheep. One would think there would be more money to be made doing that than with invasive sheep.
My thoughts exactly, the BHS is very much affected by aoudad, food, water, disease, aoudad are a nuisance species for sure
TP&W needs to open up aoudad in the public draw

keller

WKR
I've heard talk from an outfitter of killing all the aoudad on his ranch.releasing native sheep and giving them 1 tag down the road if they successfully multiply. Basically taking away his guaranteed income for an unknown number of years for a possible chance at a tag for native sheep. Tough sell for a companies livelihood

sacklunch

WKR
What's an audad hunt in TX cost these days....assuming one doesn't desire the dog and pony show, food, lodging, etc... Just some land and a guide that knows it well.

If you feed them, of course you're going to have a problem !!
I got my free range Aoudad for $5,000. But it came with food, bed, guide, Polaris Ranger.

No way I would have found them without an experienced guide. He had a spotting scope, and knew how to stalk them.

I've heard talk from an outfitter of killing all the aoudad on his ranch.releasing native sheep and giving them 1 tag down the road if they successfully multiply. Basically taking away his guaranteed income for an unknown number of years for a possible chance at a tag for native sheep. Tough sell for a companies livelihood
Most outfitters don’t own the land they just lease hunting privileges. One bighorn sheep would be worth 10-20 aoudad rams just going off numbers off the top of my head. A lot of the ranches/outfitters that I know of don’t even kill but 8-12 rams a year at most.

The issue is outfitters/ranchers trying to make a quick dollar over actual conservation. It’s the ranch owners land and they can do with it as they wish. My biggest issue is state owned land that has aoudad on it and the public is not allowed to remove them from the landscape, all while preaching native conservation out of the other side of their mouth, then the bio’s heehaw around and wonder why they don’t have more BHS in those mountains. I would imagine with some education, there would be plenty of landowners who would be more than willing to get on board with ridding the landscape of invasive aoudad for the expansion of BHS to their historic ranges.

Anyways, back on topic, fun hunting for someone wanting somewhat of a wild sheep hunting experience.

If it was me, the only outfitter I would use is WTHO. If there is any other DIY trespass fee outfitter/ranches out there that’s the way I would go.

keller

WKR
Outfitter leases the land.they kill 35 -40 rams this year . Prices going up quickly $6k each .I would rather hunt rocky mountain or desert sheep bit it will never happen unless I buy a winning ticket

Rockchuck

WKR
I tried to do my part for extermination a couple weeks back. Had a good hunt and brought home two rams. I did see 4 desert bighorns, but even trying my whole life, i am unlikely to ever have the chance to hunt one. So, Aoudad are the next best thing for me. I hope to do it again in the future. I went diy on a tresspass hunt. I glassed the same way I would for any other western game and didn't feel they were too hard to spot when they were present. A good tripod for binos and spotter and lots of patience will do the trick.
20230301_181418.jpg
20230301_132943.jpg

Last edited:
I hunted south of Apline. The rancher had feeders for mule deer. But for some reason the Aoudad were no-where near the feeders. Miles away in the mountains. Maybe they hit the feeders at night time. The rancher also had out salt blocks, but there was no wildlife by any of the salt blocks. Certainly a different type of hunting than whitetail.