Looking for something comparable to the KUIU Guide Pant

ChadH

FNG
Hey everyone... I really wish KUIU would make the Guide Pant in a solid color, grey would be awesome, but they don't. Has anyone found something remotely comparable? There are a lot of choices in a lite weight soft shell pant (something similar to the Attack), but I have yet to find something the weight of the guide pant. I was looking at the Marmot Blackcomb Pant, but I have no idea what the weight of the fabric is, and what the fit is like, and the reviews I've read don't seem very clear.

Hey everyone... I really wish KUIU would make the Guide Pant in a solid color, grey would be awesome, but they don't. Has anyone found something remotely comparable? There are a lot of choices in a lite weight soft shell pant (something similar to the Attack), but I have yet to find something the weight of the guide pant. I was looking at the Marmot Blackcomb Pant, but I have no idea what the weight of the fabric is, and what the fit is like, and the reviews I've read don't seem very clear.

Check Sitka Gear.

I bet most people would say the guide and 90 pant are the most like each other. Honestly I like the mountain pant much better and I think the sitka timberline is the best pant for hunting made right now.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
The Marmot Scree is also pretty close to the guide pant. It is a little over 17 oz (6.3 oz/yd) as opposed to the guide pant which is 19 oz. The blackomb is an ounce heavier than the scree at 18 oz (8.1oz.yd). Both come in slate grey. I wear the Scree pant all the time. It fits like a "loose fit" jean on me. Plenty of stretch for full range of motion.

Mountain Hardwear also makes some nice softshell pants.

Good luck.

Check out the Arcteryx Gamma lineup..I have a pair not sure which model for winter activities and they are a good softshell pant... but I agree with the above post on the Sitka T-lines with the waterproof knees and butt and you can get them in solid grey if you wanted. Just layer underneath when needed.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants, very similar. Ordered some of these for late season sheep hunting

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the 90% Pant is the closet thing to the KUIU Guide from Sitka. I have both, pros and cons to each, but very similar design intent behind the two. A plus for the Sitka 90% is the solid color option.

Stid2677

WKR
Check out the Arcteryx Gamma lineup..I have a pair not sure which model for winter activities and they are a good softshell pant... but I agree with the above post on the Sitka T-lines with the waterproof knees and butt and you can get them in solid grey if you wanted. Just layer underneath when needed.

+1,, I ran the Gamma MX, which is the heavier weight version they are like the Kuiu Guide and the LTs are light Attack pants

I liked everything except they have no back pocket and I like a back pocket at times.

IMGP0487.jpg

IMGP3809.jpg

OP
C

ChadH

FNG
I bet most people would say the guide and 90 pant are the most like each other. Honestly I like the mountain pant much better and I think the sitka timberline is the best pant for hunting made right now.

So I went to a Sportsmans Warehouse today and tried on the Sitka stuff (again, I tried it all when it first came out). The stroe didn't have any of the solids and didn't have the Timberline, but I did try on the 90% pant and the Mountain Pant. Only had a large (and bigger) in the 90%, the large was big on me, so I need a Med... but I would agree that it is probably closer to the Guide than anything else I saw. Didn't really like how high the wasit came up, but it might be different in the correct size.

The Mountain pant was a 34... a little big, but probably not big enough to goto a 32 (I wear a 33 jean). It would be ok with a base layer. It just seems heavy to me... a lot more so than the Guide Pant.

I'd love to try the Timberline, but they didn't have it. Is it the same thickness as the Mountain pant, just on steroids???

OP
C

ChadH

FNG
I think the 90% Pant is the closet thing to the KUIU Guide from Sitka. I have both, pros and cons to each, but very similar design intent behind the two. A plus for the Sitka 90% is the solid color option.

Those look sweet Stid. Where is the best place you've found to buy them??? Backcountry has them on sale 30% off, but that is the best I found. I'm wondering about their durability compared to the Attack/Guide Toray fabric. I've found the KUIU fabric isn't exactly durable in the Washington State Berry Patch... :)

Last edited:

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Timberline pants in solid on the way.Reinforced Knees and Rear and best of all suspenders.I have Kuiu Attacks but i don't like wearing belts when backpacking really wish they they had proper loops for suspenders.

Stid2677

WKR
Those look sweet Stid. Where is the best place you've found to buy them??? Backcountry has them on sale 30% off, but that is the best I found. I'm wondering about their durability compared to the Attack/Guide Toray fabric. I've found the KUIU fabric isn't exactly durable in the Washington State Berry Patch... :)

They are fairly durable, I have not found any synthetic pants that will hold up to thorns, they will all snag to some extent IMHO. My Gammas have held up well, a few runs and shale cuts on the knees from kneeling in the shale while field dressing. Good 4 way stretch for climbing, dries fast too.

No belt for those that like belt less.

So I went to a Sportsmans Warehouse today and tried on the Sitka stuff (again, I tried it all when it first came out). The stroe didn't have any of the solids and didn't have the Timberline, but I did try on the 90% pant and the Mountain Pant. Only had a large (and bigger) in the 90%, the large was big on me, so I need a Med... but I would agree that it is probably closer to the Guide than anything else I saw. Didn't really like how high the wasit came up, but it might be different in the correct size.

The Mountain pant was a 34... a little big, but probably not big enough to goto a 32 (I wear a 33 jean). It would be ok with a base layer. It just seems heavy to me... a lot more so than the Guide Pant.

I'd love to try the Timberline, but they didn't have it. Is it the same thickness as the Mountain pant, just on steroids???

The timberlines are a beefed up mountain pant, they are a little heavier but in my experience they are BOMB proof. I think camofire has the 90 pants running sometime today, so if you really wanted to try em your not gonna find a better deal then that

I love the Mountain Pants, but will go to a Timberline next time I need pants. I don't think the MP are too heavy, I sweat like a hooker in church, and I haven't found them to be too hot for early season archery hunts (September).

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the mountain pants and the Timberline pants are in a completely different category than the soft shell pants like the Sitka 90% or the KUIU Guide. I'm working a few gear reviews and I have lots of pants and soft shells in the mix. IMO, there is a pretty big difference in how you would use soft shell pants vs. something like the Timberline or the Mountain Pant.

If you are looking for a soft shell pant from one of the hunting companies: Sitka 90%, KUIU Guide, and don't forget the First Lite Northbranch. I believe both Kryptek and Core4 also make a soft shell pant.

The non soft shell pants are more breathable and really have a different design intent. These could include: KUIU Attack, First Lite Kanab, Sitka Timberline, Sitka Mountain Pant, Cabela's Microtec, and offerings from Kryptek and Core4 (site sponsors whose line I am not as familiar with yet).

If you step out of the "hunting specific" companies you have a whole range of options (as Stid and others have shown).

Hope that helps.

I think the mountain pants and the Timberline pants are in a completely different category than the soft shell pants like the Sitka 90% or the KUIU Guide. I'm working a few gear reviews and I have lots of pants and soft shells in the mix. IMO, there is a pretty big difference in how you would use soft shell pants vs. something like the Timberline or the Mountain Pant.

If you are looking for a soft shell pant from one of the hunting companies: Sitka 90%, KUIU Guide, and don't forget the First Lite Northbranch. I believe both Kryptek and Core4 also make a soft shell pant.

The non soft shell pants are more breathable and really have a different design intent. These could include: KUIU Attack, First Lite Kanab, Sitka Timberline, Sitka Mountain Pant, Cabela's Microtec, and offerings from Kryptek and Core4 (site sponsors whose line I am not as familiar with yet).

If you step out of the "hunting specific" companies you have a whole range of options (as Stid and others have shown).

Hope that helps.

I would probably agree with you except that I feel the timberline pants are boardering on those lines. They are really fairly heavy and robust and I would probably wear them when I would wear the guide pants, even though the guides are warmer. I would probably sooner compare the timberlines to the guides and the 90's then I would the ascents and attacks.

colonel00

WKR
FWIW, camofire.com has the Sitka 90% on sale for $149 in the solid gray color right now.

jherald

WKR
Arcteryx, Sporthill, Marmot, Patagonia, Mammut, OR all make similar pants. I've been looking at the OR Trail Breaker Pants, they have large hip zips to dump heat fast and at 24 ounces.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would probably agree with you except that I feel the timberline pants are boardering on those lines. They are really fairly heavy and robust and I would probably wear them when I would wear the guide pants, even though the guides are warmer. I would probably sooner compare the timberlines to the guides and the 90's then I would the ascents and attacks.
Fair enough. I did not run my Timberlines that much as they are just way to short on me. It bothered me, and the knee pads rode odd. The Mountain Pants fit me much better, although still a tad short. Timberlines are definitely heavier than the attacks, but they are not as weather resistant as the soft shells, but darn close that's for sure. I really would like to see them in a 32Tall.