Looking for some opinions on hunting solo for sheep or taking a hunting partner

Elite

WKR
Looking for some opinions on this situation, Have been hunting a general sheep tag in Alberta for 6 years and recently scouted and found a new area that is very hard to get into so the out knowing exactly where to go. I have scouted this area and the access on 4 different trips now. I was originally planning on hunting it this season solo. I have sheep hunted solo so that part is fine. A hunting buddy mentioned he wanted to tag along for the trip. He has only 1 trip under his belt for sheep. My issue is that areas like the one I found are extremely hard to find in Alberta with the amount of hunters and everyone talks and some people don’t hold secrets well. So is it worth letting him tag along and risk him telling some other sheep hunters about the area? Also a risk of him not being fully prepared for this type of hunt, Or go solo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
Another vote for solo.

1. if he decides he cant hack it during the hunt it could put a damper on your experience. Or if you were worried about him getting back out end your hunt early

2. If you question how much you trust him then that should be enough to tell you its too soon to show him your honey hole.

WCB

WKR
Solo...no idea why anyone would hunt with someone that even thinks about revealing spots.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Solo...no idea why anyone would hunt with someone that even thinks about revealing spots.

It’s not that he plans to reveal the spots and swears he won’t say anything to anyone but everyone knows how that works… people start drinking and talking..

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Another vote for solo.

1. if he decides he cant hack it during the hunt it could put a damper on your experience. Or if you were worried about him getting back out end your hunt early

2. If you question how much you trust him then that should be enough to tell you its too soon to show him your honey hole.

I have elk hunted with him several times and he does hike just as hard and keeps pushing hard like me… but 7 days in the mountains might be different

Not just drinking and talking but networking, trading something you have access to for something you wouldn’t normally be able to have if it weren’t for that special favor the other party really wants.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Not just drinking and talking but networking, trading something you have access to for something you wouldn’t normally be able to have if it weren’t for that special favor the other party really wants.

That is a good point..

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
You know the guy better than any of us.

If he is a good freind then why not share the experience and you could possible end up talking about this hunt for years to come. Expereinces shared can be the most memorable. But remember respect is a two way road

Regards,
Glendine.

WCB

WKR
It’s not that he plans to reveal the spots and swears he won’t say anything to anyone but everyone knows how that works… people start drinking and talking..

Again....my question stands. My friends dig in even more when they are drinking and would come up with a GPS coordinate to give whoever is asking that is 100s of miles away from the actual spot.

And as someone said...you know him better than anyone here. If that is the concern you have your answer.