Looking for some help with getting into shape for next year

cmorsch

FNG
I am hoping that someone here may be able to help me out. I am looking for advise on both a diet and exercise regiment to start with to begin getting into shape for next years hunting season and those that follow. I am 37 and 6'3" weighing 360lbs currently and would like to ultimately get back to around what I weighed in high school when I play 3 sports a year at 220 +/- 10 lbs. The only issue I see being a problem currently is I have a injured ulnar nerve in my left arm/hand and do not know if it will require surgery to fix as I have already lost some dexterity in that hand. I also currently have a concept 2 rower at home that I use off and on if that helps. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Wymatt22

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest help with getting in shape/being healthier will be your diet. High protein and mediumish carbs. Keep the activity levels high. Walking, running, lifting weights 4-6 days a week. Start slow so you don’t burn yourself out. It’ll take a little while to see changes but stick with it. I’m no health coach but you can PM me if you want and I’ll tell you what works for me.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation as you. 5' 11" 260lbs early part of this year. I leave to go to NM next Wednesday. Today I weighed in at 218. I had ulnar nerve surgery on my left elbow in June. I was back at the office the next day. I was back working out in two weeks. I still have some numbness, but I am dealing with it and hoping it'll comeback. The surgery is not that intrusive. Do something every day. Don't go so hard you don't work out for a few days. Lots of water, exercise, and remember you can't out work a shitty diet.

shwacker

FNG
My advice is simply walking as much as you can. Volume over intensity. You should be tired from how long you walked, not how hard. Some very basic strength training once or twice a week (depending on your age) could help as well - like doing some sit ups, push ups, squats without much weight, etc. more like circuit training than weight training. You should always be able to do the same workout the next day. You will discover that you get tired over the course of weeks or months - then it is time to take a week of lower volume.

These guys changed my whole perspective. They know a few things about walking up big hills with big packs...

Badseed

WKR
Diet, first and foremost. Start monitoring your daily caloric intake to understand how much you eat now and the breakdown of macronutrients. My fitness pal is a simple, user friendly app that will track and calculate your nutrition. Be honest with yourself, don’t assume your food measurements. 1/4 cup means 1/4 cup not a little less than 1/2 cup. This sounds obvious but its easy to make assumptions on your food portions and be blowing your diet out the water. As others have mentioned, focus on high protein intake and minimal carbs.

Without understanding your physical abilities its tough to outline a physical workout guide. The main consideration there is to physically work out at your ability. That may mean body weight exercises or light resistant bands to start out. The point is to start developing strength that you can continue to build upon while you focus on diet. Before you know it you will evaluating gym or workout equipment to continue your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Second all the diet comments. You will not out excercise a bad diet.

Retired SEAL officer Stew Smith is a fitness trainer who uses a form of periodization that divides his training year into quarters. Each quarter is 12 weeks of training followed by a week off and each quarter has a different focus. The first quarter is heavy strength training with a little, but not much, cardio. Following quarters might emphasize more cardio and calisthenics. Or higher rep circuit training, etc. Look up Stew Smith for the training template. It can be adapted/modified to mountain fitness.

If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the rest of this year getting your diet zeroed in, do as much walking as you can, and use your rower a lot. Start 2023 with a quarter of heavy strength training and go from there.

Last edited:

03mossy

WKR
As others have already said you can’t put work a shitty diet. We consume way more food than we actually need on a daily basis. I was at 283 a year ago. Down to 238 now. Intermittent fasting really helped me. Made me realize I didn’t need 3 big meals a day. For workers no out just get out there and do something everyday that gets the heart pumping to work up a sweat.

TheHammer

WKR
Get a daily routine! And stick to it. Don’t go over board in the diet if you can’t eat things you like you will most likely give up at a higher rate than not. You will need to make adjustments I would assume. Write down your goals! Get a vision board. Make yourself accountable. If you need encouragement get some Andy frisella in your ear! Try some of his products or his 75hard program, get some David goggins and jocko in your ear! What you put in your brain for a mental diet and the people around you are just as if not more important than your food intake. It all has to jive. I’m 5’10” 215lbs have a 32” waste 45”chest, and I only work out 3 minutes in the morning and 4 minutes in the evening unless the frequent uphill skiiing is involved then it’s more. I watch what I eat and 7 days a week high intensity short workouts. The morning is so important to get your heart rate going which in turn will kick off your metabolism. I would get some work done to figure out your micros and macros, know/monitor your testosterone levels, especially at your age in todays world. Look up Wes Watson too another great mind.

Last edited:

shwacker

FNG
Hunting to me is basically about going as many days as you can with a pack up big hills at altitude.

Gotta do it a lot of days in a row with appropriate increases in volume and recovery periods. Diet will not do that for you. Though obviously you should eat well.

This guy knows:

@cmorsch you've got some great tips from the folks here already. The book @shwacker recommended is absolute gold. It's heady, but gold. So is the article he referenced- "No Free Lunch".

Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever have any questions...not as a "coach", but as a guy who lost 140lbs himself. I'd be glad to help. There's also an abundance of free resources on our website (same as the tag here) you're more than welcome to use, abuse, and get as much use out of as possible.

peterk123

WKR
Hunting to me is basically about going as many days as you can with a pack up big hills at altitude.

Gotta do it a lot of days in a row with appropriate increases in volume and recovery periods. Diet will not do that for you. Though obviously you should eat well.

This guy knows:

The diet comments are very good, and obvious. But this right here is great info. I'm 56 years old. I was 178 pounds. Now I'm 170. Ok... don't laugh, there is a point. For me it's not the weight, it's the age. My solution to keep up with you young guys is to hike. And to hike with weight. Those muscles in and around your hips need to start firing and it is nearly impossible to find an exercise in a gym that accomplishes that. Hike with a load, and hike far. It will also help you run a caloric deficit to get you to your fighting weight. Mine is at 170 pounds. At least you live in Montana. Altitude should be easy to manage.

I was just telling my son in law the other day that I don't need chest muscles or big arms. I just need good strong stable legs, hips and leg joints. Everything else is excess weight... haha.

OPer ....And damn you are a big dude. Wish I had you by my side to lug an animal out !

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My advice is simply walking as much as you can. Volume over intensity. You should be tired from how long you walked, not how hard. Some very basic strength training once or twice a week (depending on your age) could help as well - like doing some sit ups, push ups, squats without much weight, etc. more like circuit training than weight training. You should always be able to do the same workout the next day. You will discover that you get tired over the course of weeks or months - then it is time to take a week of lower volume.

These guys changed my whole perspective. They know a few things about walking up big hills with big packs...

It should be obvious that a $hitty diet needs to be changed to a better diet. As far as exercise, walk (a lot)- mixing in a few more strenuous sessions- steep hills, weight. A basic strength training routine (I find twice a week is sufficient for me).

You need to be consistent too; off and on again doesn't work well.

Don't be looking for a quick fix, they don't work- it takes a long time of consistent training to get "mountain fit", but it's very doable for anyone who commits :)

Last edited:

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
I have lost 18-20 in the last 2 months, couple things that helped me. Hopefully you find something useful.. I absolutely quit pop. If I need a sweet drink in the afternoon, I use a Mt Ops or similar caffeine mix. Substantially less calories. And after about 2 weeks, I was fine with water most days.
2 mile walks to start, then 4, then 4 with hills, then 4 with hills and 10 pound backpack, then 20 lb backpack and 5-6 miles. Weekends maybe 8+ miles. with breaks for an apple or bathroom or whatever.
Legs got significantly stronger, and lost weight, but belly still there. Going to add burpees after this weeks elk hunt. Maybe 15-20 three times a day, working up from there. Good Luck!

Diet...half ur body weight in grams of protein, body weight in onces of water, I try to keep carbs under 50 grams, mostly from fruit, everyday.

Get on a workout routine, walk, run, rowing is great but you need to work in full body weighted movements as well, KB swings, DB snatches, ect...do it everyday, give maximum effort. Start small and work up in volume.

I started this type of workout in '19 I was 6'3" 240 went down to 185...after 3 years still on it and I am up to 195-200 but I am also lifting more, both volume and weight, so thats to be expected, plus at my age I refuse to give up beer.

H.C.O

FNG
First and foremost set goals and keep yourself motivated. Have something or two or three to aim for. Make it important.

Find a good gym if anywhere available. If not possible, there are plenty of body weight and cardio exercise plans out there to get you going.

Your going to have to make commitment to a new diet. I recommend a high protein diet focused on adding muscle. By high I mean 1 to 1.5 grams per lb, in this case your goal body weight.

I wish you the best.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo all the diet comments. It’s way easier to not eat an extra 1000 (or however many) calories than it is to burn them off. Consistency is key with the diet. Do some google research on flexible dieting and if it fits your macros. Get myfitnesspal or similar and track all your food. You’d be surprised at how much variety you can have in your nutritional approach with flexible dieting. Plus I personally feel it makes it easier to stick with if you can work in some not so “healthy” foods. I think it helps you feel less deprived.

So many ways to workout. Legs and lungs are king for mountain activities, but your core can’t be neglected, and as much as everyone says biceps don’t kill elk they do help lift up elk quarters. But consistency is number one with workouts also. A less than perfect workout plan done with 90-100 percent consistency is far more valuable than a perfect workout plan done with 50-70 percent consistency. Find workouts you enjoy and you’ll be excited to do, that helps on the days you’ll be tired and unmotivated.

Don’t neglect strength training. Cardio is so important and such a focus on many fitness programs aimed at outdoor athletes, but strength training will help that pack feel lighter.

The workout that works for you will probably be different than what works for me or anyone else, but the most important thing is that it works for you.

Set some big goals, then break them down into smaller goals, then break them down into daily goals that will help move that needle just a little bit. Just try to get 1% better every day. Write the goals on a sticky note in the past tense as if you’ve already done it and put in on the bathroom mirror and tell yourself you’ve done it and then you’ll make choices to make that real. You got this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KitsapDan

FNG
I am hoping that someone here may be able to help me out. I am looking for advise on both a diet and exercise regiment to start with to begin getting into shape for next years hunting season and those that follow. I am 37 and 6'3" weighing 360lbs currently and would like to ultimately get back to around what I weighed in high school when I play 3 sports a year at 220 +/- 10 lbs. The only issue I see being a problem currently is I have a injured ulnar nerve in my left arm/hand and do not know if it will require surgery to fix as I have already lost some dexterity in that hand. I also currently have a concept 2 rower at home that I use off and on if that helps. Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Some years back I went from ~295lbs to -237lbs in <6 months. I as on no specific diet plan other than I tracked my calories and…

I rowed a C2.

Every day.

At least 5k a day in various lengths, and occasionally a 10k day.

You already have the very best, low impact workout machine ever produced. You just have to use it diligently my man. Every single day.

Get a calorie tracker phone app like LoseIt! Or MyFitnessPal and track your food intake. That alone will be kind-blowing to you. There were days that without even thinking about it I could pack away 4-4500 calories. The LoseIt! App (free) really made me conscious of how much I was eating .

Now it’s time to only shop the outer ring of the grocery store. That’s it. If it comes in a can, box, or bottle (other than mustard, hot sauce or salsa) you don’t buy it. Period.

Finally, pick an eating style you can live with. The hardest diets are the ones that don’t suite your personality/lifestyle. Me personally, I’m on a near carnivore eating plan. I lover 🥩, 🐠, 🐔, 🍳 & 🥓, hard 🧀, and similar. I love the ease of cooking it, and eating it great off the grill or fry pan. I don’t miss the veggies or fruits too much, and enjoy some 85% dark chocolate every day (the very dark stuff doesn’t make me want yo eat an entire 3oz bar). But you gotta do you, and at your size right next now what you eat is probably less critical than how much you eat. Though doing your best to eliminate as many sugars, carbs, and especially meals like McD’s where you get protein fats & carbs/sugar all at once is highly critical to longer term success.

What you have going in your favor is 37 years old. Believe me when I tell you every decade you get older this weight loss business gets far more difficult. And you already have a (probably vastly underused) rower.

You can do this!

Start tomorrow. 500m every other day, 1000m alternate for the first week. Step it up a bit the next, etc.

Track ever f’n calorie and pay special attention to the carbs. If you’re not getting it under 100g/day in week one that’s a major MAJOR goal. And just as you up your rowing, you drop your carbs by 10g every week (or more). If you have any kind of soda addiction here’s my personal cure — 2L bottles of seltzer or club soda with some RealLemon you squirt in there. The colder the better. Adjust to taste. Zero calories so drink all you want.

Food plan: depends on what you like and the carbs trade off. Try to take any seed oils & gluten out of your diet completely. If you have no will power like me, don’t bring it home from the grocery store so you won’t have it at home to eat it. There’s no ice cream in my freezer for that reason. There’s no beer in my fridge either. The only alcohol I have is tequila, about 1-2 shots a month, and there’s no sugar in it. I can do without it too. If you’re food prep lazy like me, carnivore is simple & easy to do.

Give your new lifestyle a KISS — Keep It Simple & Stupid and you’ll have the greatest chance of success.

And when you fall off, as we all do at some time, don’t quit. Just go back to better eating. Yesterday the power went out, I ate out, and had wayyy too many carbs. Today I went right back on plan.

If you need someone to nag you drop me your number as a PM and you’ll learn to hate me in no time! 🤣

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Someone already said it but stay out of the aisles in the grocery store. You only go in the center for coffee (if you drink it, I would commit murder without coffee) and spices. The very best routine will not be beneficial without a very clean diet.

TedO

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain Biking is a fun way to drop weight and get strong in a low impact fashion.
As for diet, build a good biome, eat whole foods (veggies, fruit, nuts, lean meat), and stay away from the following:
1) Sugar
2) GMO food
3) Meat w/ Antibiotics
4) Processed foods
5) Box Food
6) Oils other than Olive Oil and Avocado Oil

Other than the obvious, like not drinking soft drinks and eating fast food, the above will get you there.

Maverick1

WKR
Good to see all the helpful replies. These suggestions maybe helpful down the road to someone checking out this thread. But realize the OP hasn’t been seen in a month.