Looking for Meopta Optika Opininons

MikeJ1970

FNG
I'm looking for some new glass in the $300 - $500 range for a Wyoming archery mule deer hunt. I ran to Sportsman's Warehouse on my lunch break today and compared the Meopta Optika and the Leupold BX-4, both in 10X42. The kid at the counter was nice enough to go outside with me so I could do a real comparison. I'll be upfront and say that I am a definite newbie when it comes to glassing. Yeah, I've looked through binoculars before, but I have never been on a hunt where I sit and glass all day long so I really don't know what I am looking for. So we brought them both outside and I focused on sign that was approximately a 1/4 mile away. To my inexperienced eyes, I could not tell any difference between the two. It's a dark overcast day and I would say both produced an equally clear view of what I was looking at.

I have been able to find all kinds of reviews and opinions on the BX-4's, but not so much on the Optika's. If you own this bino or have used it in the past in real world hunting situations I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, how important is a locking diopter? I watched and read the Backwoods Pursuit review on 26 bino's and that seemed like a big deal to him, even though some if not most in the review don't have it. Yeah, it definitely is a nice feature to make sure it doesn't move, but the diopter on the Optika's was very stiff so I don't see it coming out of adjustment very easy. Again, no experience so let me know if this is an issue.

Thanks,

Mike J

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Welcome. There's a few great options and with Black Friday/Year End pricing right now is a great time. If you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000, we'd be glad to discuss different options and opportunities with you

I read that Backwoods Pursuit article and think it makes a big deal out of nothing.
Most diopters I've used feel like there's molasses in the gears...They're not moving without intent.

Re the two 'nocs...I would trust Meopta way before Leupold for reliability.
Every Meopta optic I've looked through has been excellent.

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
I just checked out Meopta's warranty and it doesn't seem to be as good as some of the other manufacturers. I don't know that it's a deal breaker for me, but definitely something to consider. I'm going to try and get to a few other sport shops this weekend to check out a few more brands, I am especially interested in the Athlon Midas and Cronus.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have any Meopta Binos, but I do have an optika 5 rifle scope. For the price there is a lot more value than a similar priced Leupold scope, although it is heavier.
I have owned a pair of Athlon Cronus G2 binos, and I am going to tell you they are not worth owning. Very finicky and low light performance makes them all most unusable.
Leupold or meopta would be better in that price range.

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
I do not have any Meopta Binos, but I do have an optika 5 rifle scope. For the price there is a lot more value than a similar priced Leupold scope, although it is heavier.
I have owned a pair of Athlon Cronus G2 binos, and I am going to tell you they are not worth owning. Very finicky and low light performance makes them all most unusable.
Leupold or meopta would be better in that price range.

Thanks, I did notice the Optika's were a little heavier than the BX-4's. Not by much, but it was noticeable.

I thought my local Scheels carried the Athlon in-store, but I just checked and it's online only so I guess I won't be going and checking those out. I've read that others have had the same experience with them as you so if I can't get my hands on them to see for myself, then I am going to rule them out.

Not sure I am going to be able to get my hands and eyes on any other brand except Vortex. I've been reading about quality issues with those so I am staying away for now, although I know there are a lot people out there who have them and are happy. If I can find a killer deal for a used pair I will consider it.

Mike J

I think Meopta punches above it's price point. I have the MeoPro Airs and a few Optika6 riflescopes. I would go with the Meopta

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
I think Meopta punches above it's price point. I have the MeoPro Airs and a few Optika6 riflescopes. I would go with the Meopta
One negative for the Optika is FOV is only 314. The Meopro HD is listed at 341 so I think it’s probably worth the extra $$$

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My bino harness and everyday carry binos are 8x50 Meopta Optika LRs. These are a range finding binocular that work great! Glass is very crisp and field of view is incredible.

My big country/tripod binos are Meopta Meostar 15x56. I prefer these over the Swarovski SLC 15x56 after owning both.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
NO binos but I bought an Optika6 from Cameraland earlier this year, that scope is fantastic. I just bought a viper scope for a good price and regret that, its not nearly as nice as the Optika. I do like the viper binos I got, but go with the meopta and dont look back.

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
Ended up going with the Meopro HD. Got ‘em on close out directly from Meopta for $385. The deal was too good to pass up and left me with money to put towards a harness.

I'm looking for some new glass in the $300 - $500 range for a Wyoming archery mule deer hunt. I ran to Sportsman's Warehouse on my lunch break today and compared the Meopta Optika and the Leupold BX-4, both in 10X42. The kid at the counter was nice enough to go outside with me so I could do a real comparison. I'll be upfront and say that I am a definite newbie when it comes to glassing. Yeah, I've looked through binoculars before, but I have never been on a hunt where I sit and glass all day long so I really don't know what I am looking for. So we brought them both outside and I focused on sign that was approximately a 1/4 mile away. To my inexperienced eyes, I could not tell any difference between the two. It's a dark overcast day and I would say both produced an equally clear view of what I was looking at.

I have been able to find all kinds of reviews and opinions on the BX-4's, but not so much on the Optika's. If you own this bino or have used it in the past in real world hunting situations I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, how important is a locking diopter? I watched and read the Backwoods Pursuit review on 26 bino's and that seemed like a big deal to him, even though some if not most in the review don't have it. Yeah, it definitely is a nice feature to make sure it doesn't move, but the diopter on the Optika's was very stiff so I don't see it coming out of adjustment very easy. Again, no experience so let me know if this is an issue.

Thanks,

Mike J
Last year
my son and I purchased Binos for elk hunting
I picked meopta 15 power
he picked Leopoldo 15 power bx
both were the same price.
I think my meopta are a tad sharper, but his Leuphold feel better in you hands.
I lost one of my adjustable eye pieces and meopta replaced it no charge

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy has 10x42 optikas, I have the bx4 in 10x42. I like both. Mine seem a tad sharper but his were easier for me to get behind. Both are great. He is a leupold guy, I’m a meopta guy. Lol

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up picking up the Meopta Meopro HD 10X42 on Black Friday for $385 directly from Meopta. I liked the BX-4, but couldn't justify the cost.
Euro optic has “open box” bx4’s for $400. Mine came with the box still wrapped in plastic. Have you gotten the meopros in yet?

OP
M

MikeJ1970

FNG
Euro optic has “open box” bx4’s for $400. Mine came with the box still wrapped in plastic. Have you gotten the meopros in yet?

Oh man! Had I known that I may have gone that route. The Meopros have been delivered but they are a Xmas present so my wife grabbed them right away and wrapped them and said I have to wait.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt you will be losing anything from the meoptas. I haven’t looked thru a set of meopro binos but my meopro scope is worth every penny.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man! Had I known that I may have gone that route. The Meopros have been delivered but they are a Xmas present so my wife grabbed them right away and wrapped them and said I have to wait.
I got an email about doing a review and was thinking of buying another pair for a friend and boom. Out of stock. I still want a pair of optikas if that makes you feel any better. Lol