Looking for DIY axis deer hunt in HI

Going to visit the Island for the first time in my life. My wife and I are interested in hunting, also first time hunters. We practice at our local range and know about gun safety and basics. Been looking up what to hunt for while we're there, but as you can understand we wouldn't have a rifle or anything to hunt while we're there. I would love to do axis deer, but a little Javalina/pig would be just as cool. If anyone is interested in taking on a couple of tourist/FNGs I would be inclined to pay you for your time. We will be in the Island at the end of November thru early December. Please message me, reply to the thread or email me to discuss the trip in detail.

KHNC

WKR
This is going to be next to impossible in Hawaii in my opinion. Check Maui for a guided hunt. Hawaii residents are not very helpful or friendly to NR hunters.

OP
I
This is going to be next to impossible in Hawaii in my opinion. Check Maui for a guided hunt. Hawaii residents are not very helpful or friendly to NR hunters.
I failed to disclose in the original post that I'm actually going to visit with my cousin who lives in Honolulu, off Ewa beach.

I failed to disclose in the original post that I'm actually going to visit with my cousin who lives in Honolulu, off Ewa beach.
There's no deer on Oahu. And no deer on any Hawaii public land except for lanai certain times of the year which is done by draw. You're best bet would be to fly to Molokai and do guided as it's cheaper than the other islands. There's so much deer over there doubt you'd need more than a 1 or 2 day hunt. they're all on private so the guided will give you access. Most bucks drop their horns right around then too so you could probably get a deal on a meat hunt and ask if they will let you borrow a rifle so you don;t have to deal with bringing one over. . kaluakoi outfitters and go Hawaii outfitters would be good places to start

Last edited:
What he said. Lanai only has paid private land opportunities if you want to go on a specific day, or guided but that's $$$. State hunt on Lanai is by lottery. Molokai and Maui have axis deer, but I've heard public land opportunities there aren't great (not first hand info though, I've only hunted Lanai and Oahu so far).

There are guided opportunities on private land on all the islands for the different game, including pigs on Oahu. It is legitimately difficult, borderline impossible to find pigs on public land here in Oahu without dogs. Goats are easier to find, but the main area I've been hunting just closed yesterday til the spring for any means of take, opens back up in Feb or Mar for archery.

Ledfordjl

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been curious about this very thing. Thank you for posting the question.

Coulda stopped at NR. Never have I seen such blatant prejudice in the states . The amount of filthy looks and disrespect from “locals” that is somehow socially acceptable is a bummer. I would be shocked if you can hunt there without paying someone.
There's no deer on Oahu. And no deer on any Hawaii public land except for lanai certain times of the year which is done by draw. You're best bet would be to fly to Molokai and do guided as it's cheaper than the other islands. There's so much deer over there doubt you'd need more than a 1 or 2 day hunt. they're all on private so the guided will give you access. Most bucks drop their horns right around then too so you could probably get a deal on a meat hunt and ask if they will let you borrow a rifle so you don;t have to deal with bringing one over. . kaluakoi outfitters and go Hawaii outfitters would be good places to start
super helpful thx

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Noticed you said first time hunters…have you taken and passed a hunter safety course?

I find the rules for days of the week hunting rules to be very counter productive when the goal is to reduce the population of certain feral species. Seams like they have a problem but don't want public land hunters to be a big part of the solution. I've been to maui a few times and wanted to hunt last time but being forced to hunt certain days of the week make it less appealing to me.

Spend a lot of time on the phone and researching online. Put in the work. Hawaii is an awesome option but DIY hunting is not possible for the lazy or non motivated.
Eventually you can figure out how to hunt the islands…

There probably will not be an abundance of people willing to take you to their spots even if you “pay them for their time”. And since you are new that lowers the odds even more haha.

Since you are new to hunting call an outfitter and book with them. That is the east button you were looking for.

Good luck and have fun! The islands are an amazing resource and I really enjoy hunting them!

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m quite glad there is still a wide moat around the Hawaii hunting program. I remember when the mainland Western US had a similar level of complexity and it took research and dedication to figure out. The hunting was much better and tags easier to draw. The internet killed those days. Fortunately HI hunting still remains enshrouded in obscurity. I hope it stays that way. It rewards the dedicated.

My sentiments exactly. People like to cry and complain about Hawaii residents, but I take one look at what western hunting is becoming and I understand them. They don't want their local hunting to be bastardized by internet groupies, and they're right to feel that way.
Hire an outfitter or put in lots of time and money on your own. Nobody is telling anyone anything on the internet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk