Looking for advice on my 1st spotting scope

JohnOD

FNG
New guy here from Oregon. I've been spending time here learning for several months and just signed up. I hunt Wyoming or Colorado every other year or so and have just been building points here in Oregon for a while. I mainly hunt mule deer typically spot & stalk at times spotting from the truck. I'm not a backcountry ultralight guy but do hunt several miles form the road regularly and would bring my spotter & tripod along on those trip. I'm not a trophy hunter by any means just looking for adult animals and enjoying the hunt with family and friends.

Optics wise I have a Leica 8x32BN (which to me is pretty decent glass although its a tank) as well as a Leica scope & rangefinder and a Nightforce scope on another rifle with a smattering of Leupold scopes so I do have already have some decent optics.

I am seriously looking at a new Kowa TSN-554 for $1,800... not necessarily because of its compact size but mainly due to the high reviews I've seen for its clarity. I'm Not overly concerned about the first last minutes of light however I do not want to give that up if I don't need to. General advice I read says spend a little more and buy a used Swarovski/Leica, etc but I'm not having any luck with that so far. Perhaps I need to be more patient.

Mainly I want a crisp view in average daylight conditions. So I'm looking for suggestions on a scope/eyepiece under $2000. My hunting years are much closer to the end than the beginning so I don't want to break the bank on this purchase. I started out thinking I would get an Athlon Ares but the more time I spend here the more I end up raising my budget!

So My question for you folks is can I find something equal to or with a crisper image the the TSN-554? Any and all input is appreciated.

My buddy has the 554, and I've been extremely unimpressed with it. In ideal lighting, it's great. Even looking onto a shaded side hill is about impossible with it.
Get a used Swarovski STS/ATS. My STS 65 I have now makes the Kowa look pretty bad, and I really wanted to like the Kowa for the weight savings.
If possible, find one with the 25-50 eyepiece. 30x wide angles are great to have in conjuction with the 20-60 if you can't find a 25-50.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For that same budget on ebay you can get a new kowa 77 or a used 88 with the 25-60 eyepiece, or if you save up like 300-400 more bucks you should be able to get a new 88. Theres a few of both in your price range on their right now. Thats what i did, came from japan it only took like 2-3 weeks. I got a 774 a couple years ago and i love it, if i was looking now id get the 884. Im thinking about getting the new 99 body down the road but im gonna get the 1.7 extender first to see how it pairs with the 77

Ive never looked through the 554 but if you're not backpacking i wouldn't consider it. I have no problem packing the 774 in the backcountry, the kowa scopes are pretty light for their size

OP
JohnOD

JohnOD

FNG
Update. I ordered a 15x56 SLC with tripod adapter and will pick up a window mount tomorrow. I used a friends Swaro spotter (pretty old model, not HD) in Wyoming last month and thought I would try something diffferent. The mulies are rutting hard here in central Oregon right and I'm excited to get the new glass on them. Thanks everyone for your input.