Looking for Advice/Input/Help on CO GMU 6

Somewhat new to this forum, but I am starting the planning process of a elk hunt in Colorado due to tag odds etc.. Just wondering what the general census is on GMU 6 in Colorado for Elk. Not looking for locations or spots, just want to get opinions on if it is decent for a newbie.

Thanks for any help

OP
M
Nothing new for me on that front, where I hunt in Minnesota we got plenty of them already.

Just trying to gain as much information on different areas.

Overdrive

WKR
You'll find it like many of the other units that make up North Park, over hunted and crowded. It's easy to draw and has OTC and lots of leftovers so many people flock to it for a geurenteed license to hunt. Pressure pushes elk to private and the refuge, sure you can still get an Elk but I'm willing to bet it's the same 10-12% of hunters hitting the harvest every year in these units. I've hunted North Park off and on for 30+ years and have been successful but that's because I can put in the time to scout and hunt and understand the travel patterns during the seasons. I'd say 6 is one of the tougher units to hunt because of the drastic change in elevation and somewhat harder access points. You'll have plenty of company at the trailheads and not all hunters.

You’ll feel right at home being from Minnesota. I’ve hunted north park off and on for about 10 years and there are vastly more people there from MN, WI and MI than anywhere else. It’s the closest area coming down from I-80 that has OTC tags so they are just pouring in there every fall for both archery and rifle seasons. Bring some cheese curds and see if you can trade for some intel, some of those guys know the unit pretty well and have hunted it for years.

OP
M
okay thanks for the heads up on the pressure situation. More then likely will look at other units then, since I only would have a limited amount of time.