Looking for a new pack and have it narrowed down to Kifaru Muskeg 7000, Hyperlite Mountain Gebukkake ar Porter 5400 and Hill People Gear Qui-Ya

mikekry

FNG
I am looking for a new pack and have it narrowed down to Kifaru Muskeg 7000, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter 5400 and Hill People Gear Qui-Ya. I started out thinking I would get the HMG Porter 5400 since it is so light but it doesnt carry weight very well so I will probably return it. Next, I decided to get the Muskeg 7000 but it costs a fortune with the additional Bane Pack, pouches, pockets ect. Finally, I came across the HPG Qui-Ya which is very appealing to me because it costs less than the Kifaru and many people say it is the most comfortable pack for heavier weights but the pack itself is heavy and is not waterproof unlike the Porter and Muskeg. If you have any knowledge on these packs please let me know.

PS- The purpose of this new pack will be for taking up to two week long backpacking trips, scouting and fly fishing. I will not be using this pack to carry meat out of the field.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am looking for a new pack and have it narrowed down to Kifaru Muskeg 7000, Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter 5400 and Hill People Gear Qui-Ya. I started out thinking I would get the HMG Porter 5400 since it is so light but it doesnt carry weight very well so I will probably return it. Next, I decided to get the Muskeg 7000 but it costs a fortune with the additional Bane Pack, pouches, pockets ect. Finally, I came across the HPG Qui-Ya which is very appealing to me because it costs less than the Kifaru and many people say it is the most comfortable pack for heavier weights but the pack itself is heavy and is not waterproof unlike the Porter and Muskeg. If you have any knowledge on these packs please let me know.

PS- The purpose of this new pack will be for taking up to two week long backpacking trips, scouting and fly fishing. I will not be using this pack to carry meat out of the field.

If you aren’t hauling meat out then I don’t see much reason to get a kifaru or other hunting pack since that’s really what they are for. I use my hunting bags for backpacking but that’s because they are what I have. If I was specifically getting something for backpacking and fishing I’d look elsewhere or take a look at those kifaru packs with the built in frames.

Just buy the Kifaru and cry once. I know you want one. If you plan on doing anything in the backcountry, even if you aren’t packing meat, you are packing camp in and out. I couldn’t imagine packing my camp with food in and out in an Osprey or some other tree hugging pack made in china......

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I will second @thinhorn_AK and say why get a heavy hunting pack when you don't need it.

Personally, I like load lifters too much to go with HMG and it sounds like your experience bears that out.

For the size you are looking at, I would say get a Seek Outside 5400 custom in spectra with an integrated frame. It will be heavier than the HMG, but lighter than the other two options and capable of hauling heavy loads as well as being waterproof (if you seam seal it).

If you can size down, Seek Outside Flight packs are as light as HMG and have the features needed to haul moderate loads.

fatlander

WKR
Why were you going so much bigger with the Kifaru and adding additional pockets compared to your other options?

7000 CI main bag + belt pouches + bane is almost twice the size of the other bags. 9000ish cubic inches compared to 5500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
fatlander,

The new Version 2 of the HPG Qui-Ya which just came out is 6500 ci compared to Kifaru's Muskeg 7000 which is obviously 7000 ci. I would end up buying multiple pouches and pockets for both the Qui-Ya and Muskeg 7000. The pockets and pouches for the HPG are cheaper than the Kifaru. The Bane pack is an awesome addition on the back of the Muskeg 7000 because it could carry all my fishing gear so my main pack would never smell like fish which is very important where I spend most of my time because there are approx 1200 Grizzly bears in western Montana. I could probably store all my fishing gear in a cheaper HPG pouch attached to a shoulder harness. I like that the HPG products are a little cheaper than Kifaru.

Marble

WKR

Unless I was hunting in a climate like Alaska I wouldn't worry about being waterproof.

If the difference it's within a couple hundred dollars, I would get what you want. Don't choose based on price.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
fatlander,

The new Version 2 of the HPG Qui-Ya which just came out is 6500 ci compared to Kifaru's Muskeg 7000 which is obviously 7000 ci. I would end up buying multiple pouches and pockets for both the Qui-Ya and Muskeg 7000. The pockets and pouches for the HPG are cheaper than the Kifaru. The Bane pack is an awesome addition on the back of the Muskeg 7000 because it could carry all my fishing gear so my main pack would never smell like fish which is very important where I spend most of my time because there are approx 1200 Grizzly bears in western Montana. I could probably store all my fishing gear in a cheaper HPG pouch attached to a shoulder harness. I like that the HPG products are a little cheaper than Kifaru.
Just some more options.

I'm unsure what the bane cost is.

But I use the Crater and 44 mag. The crater 7000 ci and I added belt pouches and a guide lid. During the day hunting I remove the lid and put all my day pack stuff in it and then place it in my pack. Then when I need lunch or whatever, even my puffy, it's in my lid. Lid stays in my pack, dry, less noise, smaller and shorter overall.

With the 44 mag I use a Sherman pack. Dual purpose of a gun/bow carrier, day pack essentials etc.

The modularity of the kifaru is one of my favorite things about it. Besides not having back issues since I got it. I'm sure others do it or. But buying an item one time let's it be used across the board with minimal adaptation.

The packs for me are more comfortable than any other pack at any weight. With full disclosure in mind, i haven't used any of the other top tier manufacturers.

I do not think you will be disappointed with any of your choices. But choose what you want.

mlgc20

WKR
Unless you are truly an ultralight backpacker, I would remove the Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack from consideration. I’ve use the Porter before. The quality is outstanding. But IMO, HMG is overly optimistic on how much weight it can handle. They say it can handle 60 pounds. In my experience, I think it’s limit is closer to 40 pounds. You can certainly keep your pack weight under 40 pounds on a two week trip if you have the right gear. Obviously, food on a two week trip becomes the biggest weight/volume issue. And if you need to take optics and fishing gear, the Porter just isn’t going to handle that load well.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im doing a bit of Kifaru with a side of Hill People Gear Here is my setup which consists of the HPG Decker Frame
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/100

Kifaru Striker XL https://kifaru.net/store/packs/day-packs/kifaru-stryker-xl-hauler-daypack/

Then I can add any size bag I want from the Decker Line. makes this super versatile and the Strike connects right up to the HPG Decker frame.

Some photos can be found on this post I did. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/teaser-kifaru-hpg-stryker-xl.213860/

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
I like products by Seek Outside but there current lead time is 6-8 weeks and that is too long for me. The HPG Qui-Ya V2 is in stock today and Kifaru's lead time is about a month.

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
Marble,

Why do you not think waterproofness is important? Do you put all your stuff into waterproof sacks inside of your pack?

Marble

WKR
Marble,

Why do you not think waterproofness is important? Do you put all your stuff into waterproof sacks inside of your pack?
In October it snows so I don't care. It's frozen and doesn't soak in. Occasionally it rains a bit but when it does I seek shelter and get out of the rain. If I have to hike and I'm in the rain, I'll put a plastic bag over my pack. If it is a sustained storm of all day rain. Nothing will keep you dry. You'll be soaked. Either from rain or from sweat from the plastic clothing required for such an event.

And I think kifaru puts that DWR in their stuff which does repel rain. The rain does bead on it when it hits it.

Ive hunted in CO and ID for 20 years without a waterproof pack and it has never caused me to alter my hunt or made me come off the mountain. If I was doing an Alaska trip I would consider doing something to keep my pack waterproof. Or buying something that is.

I'm not saying a waterproof pack wouldn't be great. It just limits your choices into something that may not be exactly what you want.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t imagine packing my camp with food in and out in an Osprey or some other tree hugging pack made in china......
It sounds to me like an Osprey or similar over the counter backpacking pack is exactly what you need, OP. You’re asking advice between two absolute opposite ends of the backpacking spectrum, which means you’re trying to decide what type of backpacker you want to be before you just get out and see which style works best for you. Pick up a decent no-frills pack and get out for a few trips over the years. You’ll learn whether you’re a Kifaru guy or an HMG guy after a while. And you may find that a good ol’ Osprey is all you need. I’ve put many miles under one and it’s still going strong.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
Just buy the Kifaru and cry once. I know you want one. If you plan on doing anything in the backcountry, even if you aren’t packing meat, you are packing camp in and out. I couldn’t imagine packing my camp with food in and out in an Osprey or some other tree hugging pack made in china......
OP didn't say anything about Osprey, and the other two packs he's considering are not made in China.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
None of the packs I mentioned were made in China. They are all American made.

Cng, I am not new to backcountry hiking or fishing but I am now getting into 14 day long trips so I need a larger pack that can carry heavier weights. The Osprey is not designed to carry heavier weights.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Cng, I am not new to backcountry hiking or fishing but I am now getting into 14 day long trips so I need a larger pack that can carry heavier weights. The Osprey is not designed to carry heavier weights.
Neither is HMG. I assumed you were new because the guy who wants an HMG has a dialed kit with an anemic base weight and would probably never consider a Kifaru. Conversely, the guy who wants a Kifaru would never be able to get by with an HMG.

If you want to carry weight either the HPG or Kifaru will do everything you need, and it sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into the HPG, so go for it.

It sounds to me like an Osprey or similar over the counter backpacking pack is exactly what you need, OP. You’re asking advice between two absolute opposite ends of the backpacking spectrum, which means you’re trying to decide what type of backpacker you want to be before you just get out and see which style works best for you. Pick up a decent no-frills pack and get out for a few trips over the years. You’ll learn whether you’re a Kifaru guy or an HMG guy after a while. And you may find that a good ol’ Osprey is all you need. I’ve put many miles under one and it’s still going strong.
There’s no way I could sleep at night if I were to recommend an inferior pack not “Made in America” 😉