Looking for a coat for coyote hunting in North Dakota?

zr600

FNG
Ok I’m looking for a coyote for calling coyotes or hunting deer in colder temps. I’m in nd with colder temps and snow. I’m talking from -20 to 20 above typical weather for us dec-feb. I was originally going to go with the kuiu axis hybrid jacket but think I might want something a hare warmer. Now I’m thinking the new proximity insulated jacket, or the axis thermal hybrid jacket. Does anyone have any experience with these? Obviously temps will vary how I will layer. For pants I’m wearing kuiu axis hybrid pants with sweat pants underneath if really cold under armor 3.0 with the axis pants has always been good for me. Any advice would be great.

I use the UA down jacket for coyote hunting out here. Most of the time I wear a thin base layer, Sitka Fanatic, and the UA coat. It's heavy for backpack hunting but for anything I do in ND it's been solid.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
If you go white or white camo be careful as most whites UV illuminate big time. Before I figured that out I could not believe how deer and coyotes were picking me out. Turns out I was glowing like a beacon. Get a cheap UV flashlight and check stuff out.
I have a Gander parka in Realtree snow camo. Other manufacturers use that material also. Great snow camo with no UV illumination.

Picked up the Kryptek Aegis Extreme this year and it is very warm. Paired with the bibs, I was comfortable outside in low activity for a couple hours at -5 actual, -40 windchill in this recent cold snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up the Kryptek Aegis Extreme this year and it is very warm. Paired with the bibs, I was comfortable outside in low activity for a couple hours at -5 actual, -40 windchill in this recent cold snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really thinking about getting the coat I have the bibs and was very impressed with them in the same type conditions this year.

Bagpipe

FNG
Have you given any consideration to heavy wool? I have tried about everything calling coyotes and this is probably the next step for me.

Ralphie

WKR
Sitting on a coyote stand in those temps I’m wearing a down puffy. Sometimes I carry another puffy and use it like a blanket over my legs.

I just got my wife a heated vest. Idk what it’s battery life will be like but coyote hunting where you are probably back in the truck pretty often to charge it might work well as a mid layer.

yfarm

WKR
Dakota Outerwear ABU N3B parka over a down puffy, put it on when you get to your stand. I use their double layer full zip coveralls over my my normal walk hunt clothing when I lie flat for hours in sub 20 temps.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I've been wearing a set of Under Armour snow camo pants & coat that I bought @ the dickinson runnings back in 2013 and they still work great. Pair that with some baffin boots & mittens with good glove liners and you can hunt down to -30. Just did it around christmas time & i was as comfortable as one can be in them temperatures.

mcseal2

WKR
A lot will depend on how long your walks and stands are. I am usually not on stand over 25 minutes and so I can get by with less warmth. Biggest thing for me is not sweating hiking in and out. Most of my hunts are 0-30 degrees.

I get by at those temps with a FL Aerowool Wilikin shirt, Kuiu 240 hoody, First Lite Uncompaghre jacket, and Kryptek Dalibor 2 jacket. Bottom half if it's real cold I wear First Lite underwear, Darn Tough socks, Terramar Predator fleece pants to go under waders, and some old Cabelas microtex bibs. I always have 5 sections of Thermarest Z pad to sit on too, having insulation off the ground helps.

The puffy vest seems to be the right balance of warmth while not sweating. If I was not walking or getting in a warm truck as often I'd need more. Sometimes I trade the vest and fleece wader pants for a Kuiu Kenai puffy jacket and pants in real cold winds.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425