Looking buy a used pack!

gtriple

WKR
I am planning on doing a basecamp this year but next year I will be backpacking in a few miles so I want something I can use for both.
I'd really recommend to just buy a used Exo K3 frame and the Crib Load Panel.

You can just use any cheap backpack for a daypack from a basecamp for the whole season. Then when you kill something, just process it, hang the meat, and then hike out and swap to the frame.

Then add a used bag when you find one and have the budget.

If you can wait until Exo puts out their smaller K4, I have a K2 2000 that I would work with you on. Save a few extra dollars and buy another bag for pack trips. Good luck!

Mrshort

FNG
Buy once, cry once definitely applies to packs! A well fitting pack will serve you for decades if you don't need the newest, latest and greatest. I bought a high-end used pack off here years ago, it's served me well. You've got several months till season. Take your time waiting for someone to sell something on here that fits exactly what you need.

You have lots of time don’t rush, keep adding to your budget and watch the classifieds. Reach out and find local people that have packs that are willing to meet up and let you try on their pack to find what you like. You are too young for a beer but offer to buy them a cup of coffee. Most hunters glad to show off the gear they have that they really like.
Try as many different brands as you can but make sure you try the top three, Kifaru, EXO, and Stone Glacier. You can’t go wrong with either. There is a reason they are the most used. I myself am fond of the Stone Glacier packs. If I had to pick just one it would be the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 on the Krux frame.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Jbogg

FNG
Another vote for the Horn Hunter Full Curl. You can purchase the entire 3 piece combo new for close to your budget, or purchase the 3 pieces separately. The best part about it is the frame with the large pocketed wings and hip belt for around $170 online. I just returned from a little overnight yesterday, and I really like the multiple pockets for gear storage.
18355681-BAB0-4595-B1A3-04DE15FF0885.jpeg

OP
EndOfTheRoad
@EndOfTheRoad if you are driving through Denver I have a few Seek Outside packs you can borrow.

If you time it right, one of them might come with a free me to help you out.
Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to need something I can train with this summer. Otherwise I will be a disaster come Nov.
I should be able to PM in a few days, we should definitely stay in touch.

KneeDeep

FNG
Definitely check the classifieds. There are some dang good deals.
This. I've been using an Exo 3500 for the last several year, PERFECT do all for me, and lots of used 2nd and 3rd generation Exo's for sale right now with the announcement of their fourth generation. I've been seeing 2nd generation setups with a couple accessories for close to $400 and 3rd for close to $500 if you look. Or you could buy once and cry once for 4th gen for $674+, tempting!

You can just use any cheap backpack for a daypack from a basecamp for the whole season. Then when you kill something, just process it, hang the meat, and then hike out and swap to the frame.

I'll echo this recommendation. Buy a high quality frame secondhand and use it with a sling/panel/net until you can afford to add a bag. Exo, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier frames occasionally show up in the classifieds here for $200-250. You might stumble across an older Kifaru in that price range.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to need something I can train with this summer. Otherwise I will be a disaster come Nov.

I think your best route should be to get a frame and worry about the pack part later. It's an easy thing to strap stuff to any quality maker's frame to train with, then keep an eye out for a deal or put your Jansport on it.

prm

WKR
I'll have a Kuiu Pro 3600 for sale shortly. Will be a little over the budget you listed though. I'd recommend a good pack and boots to start. Just about every other capability can be done very well without resorting to top dollar gear. The classifieds will have some great pack deals if you watch closely. Also look at gear lists. Narrow down to just what you need, especially the layering. I know I've wasted a lot of money fiddling with layers. Hiking gear can be less expensive, and work great.

Just to add to the offer, I’m just south on Denver so you can try an Exo out at the same time. This is a lot of meat in a 2000

8ADE663C-E841-444C-8532-91AE165D1ECB.jpeg

This is stellar advice