looking at getting a kifaru mega tarp. any advice

Clarktar

WKR
hmm, that perks my ears up! I have been contemplating purchasing a shelter(s) for several months now. Maybe I will wait a little longer.

Aron, I had tried to respond to your PM but your inbox was full.

A few weeks ago, Aron did a questionnaire regarding a zip closure and a zip in annex for the Mega. If I had to guess, there are changes in the works...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Id be in for that. Only reason I still use my Mountain LT over the Kifaru Tarp is because of the zip closure. Im not a fan of velcro. This is great if thats the case. Time to start offing some gear to purchase the finance =-)

Lawnboi

WKR
Zippers, along with a central stove jack and I'd be all over the mega tarp. I wonder what a few zippers will add weight and size wise.

I do hope they keep the para tarp zipper free though.

Shtf sounds like you would really like a para tipi.

Whisky

WKR
Sum bitch! Never saw no questionnaire, but I'd be all for it.

If that is in fact the upgrade, hopefully there will be an option to modify existing set ups.

Last time aron told me to hold off I was looking at a DT2 and then the nomad came out. When he says wait I'd wait. Something good must be coming!

unm1136

WKR
Having seen similar situations pop up on the K board over the years, the answer will be a resounding no UNLESS the custom shop will be coming online again.

I'm in the same boat...I have 3 nights under my Mega, then something new comes out.

pat

gulicemo

Banned
Anyone want to offload a Mega to free up some cash for the new one... I'll be your Huckleberry.

Patrick

FNG
Aron is doing the right thing in advising you folks to hold off a bit on purchasing our Tarps.

When I created A-Frame Tarp shelters years ago I had no way of knowing how popular they would become...now they are very popular and there are lots of manufacturers supporting the demand. The original Kifaru Tarps were open ended, consistent with serious weight savings while still providing good shelter. Guys began to ask me for a way to put a "front" on their K-Tarp and so the Annex program was born. (The Annexes even had stove jacks!) Bear in mind there were a LOT of original K-Tarps out there by this time so I made the Annexes retro-fitable to those already-in-circulation Tarps. Meaning no zipper-in or velcro-in feature--the system relied on an "overlap" solution for connectivity. People could mate an Annex to their Tarp without the expense and hassle of sending the Tarp to Kifaru for elective surgery.

After years of focusing my design juices on packs, sleeping bags, "stringed" stuff sacks and etc., etc., etc., I am pleased to be back focusing on shelters...and specifically our Tarps. I have a new design, and will patent it. We are rapidly bringing the new creations to prime time--wind tests are being conducted as we discuss this; now is the perfect time of year, and my old wind laboratory locations are getting plenty of visitations from yours truly. I also have plenty of design help; my new design assistant Eric Bender is right in the middle of the project and proving out wonderfully. Of course thirty-year veteran Janice Jensen is weighing in too. And so is Aron Snyder--who is solidly in our Design Group. We are finishing up testing a new fabric as well. It will allow us to price our shelters more competitively, without sacrifice in performance. Pretty good deal. (Yes, I am having a grand time re-inventing these shelters!)

Expect them to be considerably roomier. Expect optional "Fronts" (and "Backs") to be weather-tight, and have stove jack capability. And expect to see them have nearly infinite pitching options.

Thanks in advance for your patience.