Longrange hunting bullet 338 RUM

Junkout

FNG
Anyone doing any hunting with a match bullet? Specifically (300gr) Sierra or nosler? Curious as to what animals and the results
Im building up a semi lightweight (10#s) rifle now and getting ready for load development.

Retterath

WKR
I have a friend that built a338 Norma improved and has been using a 285 grain A max and him and his friends said they have been have great results on elk with them

OP
J

Junkout

FNG
Thank you sir. Good to be here. Lurked around for awhile, lots of good information here.

OP
J

Junkout

FNG
I just ordered 250 amax/blems from Midway. I already have the Sierra and nosler and I'm sure they will do awesome on paper just checking to see if that heavy of a match bullet did any better on game than say a 6.5mm match. This is a crapy pic I was in the middle of a shop overhaul. It's a nutless large shank savage 27" Benchmark light Palma on a Bell&Carlson stock. Stock and barreled action are at 8.47lbs she's probably going to go over my 10lb target

jmden

WKR
Many LR folks go with Bergers. I'd be looking at the 250g to 300g Elite Hunters. 300g EHs would probably go 2700fps ish for you and hit pretty hard, which is the point. Have taken a few animals with them. Check out www.longrangeonly.com

Anyone doing any hunting with a match bullet? Specifically (300gr) Sierra or nosler? Curious as to what animals and the results
Im building up a semi lightweight (10#s) rifle now and getting ready for load development.

300 grain SMKs work very well. I've only recovered one of them, and that was after shooting through the length of a wolf. Every other kill resulted in a 1-2" exit and quick death. A lot of guys are having success with Berger OTMs, too. The Hornady is a little bit different than those two, in that the nose section of the bullet is almost completely hollow. I've never shot anything with them, but I've seen that nose fold over in testing, resulting in zero expansion.

Here's a video of the 300 SMK in action, with the results I've found to be very typical of this bullet.

[video=youtube;PccIUFThLos]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PccIUFThLos[/video]

OP
J

Junkout

FNG
I have had good results with the amax at longer distances. It's like other match type in it fragments at high velocities. I live in Texas so the biggest and toughest animal would be a wild hog. I'm building this gun after lugging my 17.5lb 6.5x284 round New Mexico on a supposed "easy" hunt. Pretty sure I can handle a 10l rifle no matter how it ends up this year. I hope to put some pigs in the dirt this year with the match bullets and see how they do. But when I go out of state I will be running Berger or Hornady SST. The SST bullet runs really close with my amax load with the same oal in my 6.5 and if the 338 follows I'll go that route.
Nice video of a ear kill. I have a place in Mena Arkansas that is covered in bear. Just not enough time in the year!