Longest kill shot

tlav21

FNG
What is your longest kill shot and is there a story behind why it was long? We all are comfortable and practice at different ranges, so yes, someone will tell you that your long shot is unethical even though it may have dropped dead..

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
73 yards on a bull. I got to 40ish yards on him and drew 3 or 4 different times but he kept moving further and further feeding away. He Wasn't aware of me but he was with 3 other bull's and they were all slowly making their way out. Where I'm at I don't get a ton of opportunities so I knew that could very well be my last chance for the season. Took my time and made a good shot. The bull went less than 30 yards. He was young and dumb but that was fine with me, I was happy to kill a bull with my son with me. 20190908_111811.jpg

54yds... a long time ago.... i ran out of real estate stalking a bull, it was a grassy meadow between us.... it was a learning experience, as he took a step as i shot (head down feeding) it gave me a pretty bad feeling watching him run off with my fletchings in him about 6" back from where i was trying to hit him.

like plenty of times in my hunting career, i got lucky. he ran out into a clear cut, 134yds away, and it didn't take him long and he was hooves up. i was fortunate to learn a lesson and not have to suffer any consequences.... i don't recall any other animals over 35yds, i like slam dunk shots.... takes some of the factors out of the equation.... i also don't like them too close, it's too rushed, things happen too fast... i have shot my share of sub 10yd animals, but honestly, if i could pick, i would rather shoot one at 30 vs sub 10.... the other side of that, mechanics aside, i love the close ones, those encounters make it worth the hassle of shooting them close.

mechanics wise, i think it's easier to pinwheel a bull at 30yds than 10yds.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last fall I shot a whitetail doe at 65 yards. Wasn’t going to do it, but my 7 month pregnant wife was with me. She whispered “why have you been practicing 75 yard shots every night if you are going to be too chicken to pull the trigger on a hunt?!”

I smoked the doe and she went down after running a hundred yards or so. My wife got it on film too! I can’t wait to show our daughter the video of her “first hunt” someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 yards on mule deer doe. I was putting a stalk on a doe and after a long hike I came across another doe. I stopped to put my release on and couldn’t find it, I then proceeded to dump out my hole pack looking for it as the doe stood and watched like “ this guy is an idiot”. Couldn’t find me release, hiked back to the truck, it was sitting on my seat. Hiked back to my buddy and found a doe on the way and stalked it almost right back to where I dumped out my pack and then shot the doe at 59 yards.......

70yds on a big desert muley. Had been hunting him for 5 days and finally got my chance it was a longer shot than I wanted but sometimes you have to take the opportunity when it presents itself. He ran about 50yds and i watched him pile up.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
57 yards Mule deer. High desert buck. I practice out to 110 yards all the time. I wouldn't shoot at an animal that far except maybe a Yote but practicing that far makes the closer shots feel closer and out here in the West the country can be very open. It can be difficult to get into 20-30 yards on a buck. Elk are a little easier if you can call them in close.

cnelk

WKR
59yds - cow elk
She played hide & seek with me for 20mins before I just stood up, took 3 steps to my left, ranged her, drew and shot.
Complete pass thru

68 yards. After ten days of barely seeing any elk, my buddy and I finally saw two raghorns in a meadow eating. A cow called from further away and the bulls locked antlers and started fighting. When they separated, we assumed they would take off after the cow. When we both had a shot, I did a 3-2-1 countdown... Evidently he didn’t hear the countdown But my shot was perfect!
fe1e0033516420a1837ffc9d8f0a2074.jpg

chasewild

WKR
86 yards on a wasatch front mule deer. It was a dog-shit decision, a terrible shot (guts, quartering away), and all I can say is I was young and he died fast (10 steps). That was in 2012.

55 yards on a whitetail doe, a number of years ago, in a cut over corn field. I miscalculated the yardage. At the sound of the string, she ducked and took a step forward, causing a perfect heart shot. She left a blood trail that looked like it was from a lawn drop spreader for about 40 yds.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Moose - 28 yards
Mule Deer - 25 yards
Whitetail - 23 yards
Turkey - 13 yards

I practice to as far as my slider will go which is typically in the 100-115 yard range, but haven't had the need to stretch it out on an animal yet. I've killed more animals under 15 yards then over.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
71 yards on an antelope. It was a rare day in Wyoming with no wind and he had no idea I was there. The shot was almost perfectly level or even slightly downhill. Double lunged him and he went about 200 yards.

Whitetail doe - 36 yards. Followed up with the longest deer drag of my career as well. Myself and two buddies drug her about 1.5 miles - boy was that dumb 😁