Logistics

Jbow387

FNG
So the draw odds were in my favor big time this year so now I have some logistics hurdles to get over.

First world problems, I know.
Drew 4 tags, one in December, 2 first half of January and 1 the 2nd half of January.

I‘m going to make 2 trips and driving to NM from VA is about 30 hours. :sick: and I’d rather not spend 8 days driving. So may drive one and fly the other or fly both or put 9k miles on the truck (typing that last part made me sick)

I know you gotta kill it before you bring it home however, those of you that travel out of state what have you found to be the most cost effective methods to transport meat and antlers?

Debone, freeze and check it? What are you checking the meat in? Soft/Hard coolers? Water proof bags?
See if the meat processor will freeze and ship? Anyone done this, if so what’d it run you $?
Question of taxidermy also comes up, always the possibility you kill something that must go on the wall.
If you just boil the head, how are you checking that?

Thanks for the insight in advance!

Just want to maximize the best use of time and money

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I check mine in soft sided coolers after being frozen. I do this nearly every year coming from St. Louis to Seattle. Works great.

OP
J

Jbow387

FNG
Thought:

trip 1: drive there fly home.
Trip 2: fly there drive home.

Store meat from trip one and drive everything back after trip 2?
I do have family relatively close to where I am going to be hunting, so that is definitely an option.

def90

WKR
The meateater guys say they bring their meat home in those soft sided yeti coolers. Debone and freeze, pack in cooler, check it as baggage.

fatlander

WKR
Search some logistics in the moose/caribou forum. Getting meat and trophies home from Alaska is really the same general process as getting home in the lower 48. We’ve carried on as much frozen elk meat as yeti hoppers will hold and checked the rest in styrofoam lined cardboard boxes. As long as it’s frozen solid you’re good to go.

That’s a long drive solo. I almost feel bad for you, congrats on the tags and good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jbow387

FNG
Search some logistics in the moose/caribou forum. Getting meat and trophies home from Alaska is really the same general process as getting home in the lower 48. We’ve carried on as much frozen elk meat as yeti hoppers will hold and checked the rest in styrofoam lined cardboard boxes. As long as it’s frozen solid you’re good to go.

That’s a long drive solo. I almost feel bad for you, congrats on the tags and good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks brotha, I’ll check it out!
I was getting a million topics when I initially searched, was just easier to Be 1,000,001

I appreciate, it. Definitely have my work cut out for me that’s for sure.