Loctite question for Form

SDHNTR

WKR
When you swap out a scope in the same ring set, do you bother trying to get the old dried Loctite out of the screw threads? If so how do you accomplish this? Or is it nothing to worry about and do you just drop a fresh dab a blue goo on and send it right back in the hole?

I dont want to answer for Form (he can do that) but I think I read elsewhere that he said he uses Brake clean or similar to remove what he can then proceeds with his mounting process.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
When you swap out a scope in the same ring set, do you bother trying to get the old dried Loctite out of the screw threads? If so how do you accomplish this? Or is it nothing to worry about and do you just drop a fresh dab a blue goo on and send it right back in the hole?

Generally spray with brake cleaner or use rubbing alcohol and wipe them quickly, reapply and torque.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Generally spray with brake cleaner or use rubbing alcohol and wipe them quickly, reapply and torque.
Ok, I do the same but that still leaves dried residue left in the threads. I’ve never worried about it in the past, other than just making sure I’m not crossing threads, but was wondering if I should.

Flyrodr

FNG
As stated above, Loctite works best on clean threads, and there's no better way to clean them than with the correctly sized tap and die. Most any decent hardware or auto supply store sells individual taps and dies (if you'll not likely be using other sizes, since a kit is cheaper per size). If you're unsure of the size, just take one of the ring bolts to the store, and they'll have a size checker. A less expensive (but plenty good enough) tap and die (you'll want to clean both bolt and hole threads) shouldn't cost more than $10-$15. Do make sure that there's no residual oil on the threads. Watch out what thread cleaner you use; some are pretty nasty (carcinogenic, etc.).

And use blue Loctite (not the too-strong for this application red), either the liquid or stick. And do let it set up for the recommended time before using.

(And, yes, I have many tear-jerking stories - - - many not firearms-related) about failures resulting from ignoring steps and/or rushing the process.)

Wrench

WKR
Be careful when you run taps and dies from cheap brands. You csn end up doing more harm than good if you're on the wrong end of tolerance.

Fasteners only engage to a max of 1.5x the major dia which still leaves room at the root.

In English, as long as the faces at the pitch diameter are clean, an anaerobic threadlock will set just fine.

If the screw goes in and out of the hole you're installing it in, and there's no oil in it.... wipe the flakes off and rock on.