Liners for Non Insulated Boots

it88

FNG
I have some Lowa Tibet GTX that I use for elk in November. They are not insulated. My feet nearly froze one night. I was considering buying some insulated liners and sliding them in to help with this. That way I don't have to buy a new pair of boots. They run big, and the liners might help reduce some volume. Any insight on using liners for this purpose?

Maki35

WKR
Depending on how much extra room you have in the boots and the type of insulated liner that you're going to use, it may be too thick/tight for your feet.
I had a pair of boots with extra room. I tried a pair of wool liners and it was too tight. So, I wear 2 pair of socks (outer pair is thick wool socks) instead.

ognennyy

FNG
I think it's a very creative and effective solution to your issue. Coincidentally happens to be the same solution I used to solve a similar issue with the Lowa Tibet GTX 400g insulated version still not being warm enough for my liking for hunting the NY Adirondacks in mid-late season.

The trick is not to take up ALL of the available space in the toe box with sock material. No matter how good your liners and socks you still need some amount of air space. I would recommend going with ultra light, ultra thin liners (polypropylene; I will avoid linking because I'm new here and not sure if that's against the rules) which are enough to do exactly what a liner is designed to do (friction guard and move moisture away from skin). Then buy however thick a pair of 85%+ merino wool socks you think you might need to fill the remaining toe box space but leave a small amount of air space.