Lightweight tripod for binos

Sirui has the T024SKVA5 kit, HOWEVER, we sold the head out of the box to someone that needed the head when they were not available and I have the legs only. They weigh 1.76 Lbs. They fold down to 15.7". I can do the legs only for $129.99, shipped in the USA. Comes with the case and the box and 6 year warranty. I have 1. Call me as it's not available on our site. Would rather a forum member get this awesome deal
Joel
516-217-1000

TheGDog

WKR
That AOKA Tripod? I purchased one to explore having a lighter weight setup.

With the weight of 15x Binos, if you're trying to be seated not on the ground, the center post will be reqd and it realistically makes it too prone to vibration from wind. I ended up having to hold the Binos a lil with my hand to steady the vibrations effect on FOV when the wind picked up. I'd skip this tripod solution as being your main one for hunting.

Also... for glassing from a seated position on the ground directly... the opened up legs will only be able to clear one of your legs stretched out in front of you on the ground. For somebody my size 5' 10" 220Lbs... if the legs when fully extended where just something like 3-4 inches taller, it'd be much more usable.

I think if you had to look upward towards a hillside, and you were sitting upon a slope... I think it's highly likely you'd HAVE to utilize the center extension post. (In order to get the optic up high enough to your eyes) And the problem is that center extension post doesn't telescope at all, so you then have to fuss with the legs to then drop the height of the optic back down to eye-level when seated under such a scenario. Which makes the space in-between the legs even smaller.

So for me... I've relegated this tripod to be for recreational viewing, like when I'm just going over to a nearby local Wetlands reserve.

Moserkr

WKR
Another vote for the aoka, with whatever head you choose. But not the 1.1lb version - thats sitting only. At 2.2lbs head included, the next size up can be used standing, and is less than a bill. Would probably just be tall enough for your size. Im a little shorter and can use with the center post removed.

TheGDog

WKR
Sirui has the T024SKVA5 kit, HOWEVER, we sold the head out of the box to someone that needed the head when they were not available and I have the legs only. They weigh 1.76 Lbs. They fold down to 15.7". I can do the legs only for $129.99, shipped in the USA. Comes with the case and the box and 6 year warranty. I have 1. Call me as it's not available on our site. Would rather a forum member get this awesome deal
Joel
516-217-1000
This Sirui looks like somebody took the AOKA and made it right! With a center post to it that can be slid up and down.

tdhanses

WKR
Is there a reason you use the ball head and the panner or you just like to have the od qd on your tripod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I prefer the panner separate, just easier to use and I had it, if I didn’t have it the rrs has a panner as well that works fine.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Cool, I think I’m gonna get that ball head. It seems like the ticket.

Flyrodr

FNG
Apologies if this has been covered; haven't read all these tripod threads. Photographers on the move, that don't have a "real" tripod with them, sometimes use a "tabletop" tripod with a ball head. Perhaps the best, as it's been around for decades, is made by Leitz. I didn't have binocs handy, but put a rangefinder on it to show how the tripod can be used as a chest pod. The Swiss Army knife is for scale.

The second photo is just to show the capacity of this little head. That's a 4+ lb spotting scope, and the ball head is not about to slip. It is, of course, somewhat top heavy, but I use this setup at the range all the time. Works fine.

Tripod and head are just under a pound. Won't replace a good full size tripod, but better than many of the spindly, wobbly legs on the market.
Leitz-Ball-Head-1.jpgLeitz-Ball-Head-2.jpg

OP
S
I have the exact same 525c and VA-5 setup and I too feel it’s overkill as far as weight/height ratios. Unfortunately I think I would get stabbed by the wife if pursued a different option. If I was looking for liteweight with some cost savings, this is another option I would consider:

The carbon fiber version is 3oz and $25 more than the aluminum.

Yeah, I think the whole setup weighs 3lbs 10oz but it just seems big and bulky and heavier than it really is for some reason. Maybe I am over thinking it since it is only a pound and a half that I could shave off. Bored in the winter I guess. I really am thinking of doing as posted above and dropping a leg or two and maybe even finding that small rrs head. I feel so much better on a tripod and would like it with me at all times but sometimes i feel like I just don’t want to carry it.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Man with the va-5 mine was right at 50 oz. With the rrs and and carbon center post it’ll be under 30 oz, it’s really sturdy, and it’ll still get 42”.

It inspired me to mess with my big one, on the 824 I dropped 6.5 oz just by taking the leg warmers and half the center post off.

I guess this is how people become weight weenies. Seems too easy to drop weight and not lose much function.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I just wanted to update this to say the 21mm caps I linked earlier fit perfect. Tight enough to not worry about them falling off but you can still get them off. Should be 29-30 oz with the rrs head if they ever come back in stock.
35f872b77998fca44f0d65b719104a46.jpg

cd8ce675dcc16ea107bc67b5ed3bebd2.jpg

136b3e351a23b633ddacf0f526fd6f10.jpg